Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy Guacamole!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default Holy Guacamole!!!!!

That time of year. Avocado, morning, noon, and night. This morning's breakfast was 2 warm corn tortillas (a woman passes selling every morning) slathered with the left over Guacamole from last night.

Not sure how they will get worked in for lunch, but I am having some serious derelict thoughts on how they will get used for the evening meal. I cut some lettuce this morning, I am sure some sliced Avocado will find it's way into the salad. The dressing is starting to sound like a sin, Avocado Ranch Dressing with some Bacon worked in somehow. I know salad is supposed to be good for you but the one I am thinking about may cause a heart attack.

I have 6 trees producing this year, should have Avocado until October or November.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Holy Guacamole!!!!!

Beautiful, so add some lime, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, salt and we have a dip for some of those fried up tortilla chips. Be right on over.

Blog Entries

Plantain chips are more likely today, cut these this morning.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I wish I could help dispose of those avocados!

Blog Entries

I love avocados. Here is something from wiki "An average avocado tree produces about 500 avocados annually"

6 trees? That's a lot of guac!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Plantain chips are more likely today, cut these this morning.
    Whatever happened to the Plantain Man of the night raids? Big dog finally put his quest to rest?

Blog Entries

One of my trees was absolutely loaded, the avocado looked like cherries there were so many, it has dropped 100's already, not ripe, just shedding them, I would estimate it easily has over 500 on it.

My oldest tree (the tree that the avocadoes in the pic came from) has several hundred on it.

I have 4 other trees that have been producing 3 years or less and they all have 2-6 dz on them.

Last year we had a late North Wind, the wind carries a heavy salt spray that damages the blooms just like a frost does citrus. Very few Avocado last year. This year every tree on the Island is loaded to the gills.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The "Rockman" problem has been slight. In the first 6 months of the year I only had 2 bunch stolen (instead of the usual 1 or 2 a week). Have lost a few bunch this month but they were around the edges of the property while I was on the Main.

I think the "Rockman" may have decided to move on to greener and less hazardous pastures, can't imagine why .
    Ernie K Doe

You can up your own Fritanga with some many platanos, I would be eating tostones with fried cheese everyday
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

S5032772.jpg
    One of my newest Avocado recipes.

On the half shell.

Ingredients:
    Avocado
    Salt
    Lime

Special Equipment:
    Spoon
    Ernie K Doe

S5032772.jpg
    One of my newest Avocado recipes.

On the half shell.

Ingredients:
    Avocado
    Salt
    Lime

Special Equipment:
    Spoon
    For those wanting a healthy-good-for-you...raise price and

Skip the salt

pp

Blog Entries

I don't know what it is, but if you can put the tiniest bit of salt on the avocado it greatly enhances the flavor, at least for me. The problem is applying the tiny bit. I suggest a tiny shaker of salt (as opposed to a lost shaker of salt).

I eat them right from under the tree, cut them with the machete remove the seed and consume, no salt needed.

Sometimes when company is coming you need fancy recipes like these to impress your guest. They will think you spent hours in the kitchen.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So the lady from the internet cafe is coming over?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

May be a connection problem at the moment.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know what it is, but if you can put the tiniest bit of salt on the avocado it greatly enhances the flavor, at least for me. The problem is applying the tiny bit. I suggest a tiny shaker of salt (as opposed to a lost shaker of salt).

I eat them right from under the tree, cut them with the machete remove the seed and consume, no salt needed.

Sometimes when company is coming you need fancy recipes like these to impress your guest. They will think you spent hours in the kitchen.
    I been cookin' all mornin' and ya haven't touched a single bite.

Maw, I think Cookshoe's pigs got to 'em before you did, I saw him and 'em pigs fightin' over 'em as they hit the ground.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Well, Cookshoe never had a lick of sense. Pass the biscuits, please.

Blog Entries

S5032884.jpg

Snack time, for some reason the toasted Coco Bread with Avocado smeared on it that I ate for breakfast just didn't have enough kick to get me going.

Forgot I had tortillas from yesterday until they came by selling today, hate to waste.

Not a cloud in the sky and it is hot, leaves on the trees barely moving, the Sea must be almost dead calm right now. I have half a dz more things I need to do and everyone of them is out of the shade. Have a few small shade jobs that might get done this morning, then just have to wait until it cools off this afternoon to tackle the non-shade jobs.

Yes, I know this camera sucks.
    Ernie K Doe

S5032884.jpg

Snack time, for some reason the toasted Coco Bread with Avocado smeared on it that I ate for breakfast just didn't have enough kick to get me going.

Forgot I had tortillas from yesterday until they came by selling today, hate to waste.

Not a cloud in the sky and it is hot, leaves on the trees barely moving, the Sea must be almost dead calm right now. I have half a dz more things I need to do and everyone of them is out of the shade. Have a few small shade jobs that might get done this morning, then just have to wait until it cools off this afternoon to tackle the non-shade jobs.

Yes, I know this camera sucks.
    Is that breakfast ??
    Peppers required ? justifies an early Tona

Hotter in Leon...
    pp

Blog Entries

Can't even imagine Leon. Must be like living in a frying pan.

Trying to hold out the Tona as a reward for getting some work done today, not sure how that is going to pan out.

Jalapenos are just for taste, here we mostly use China Pepper, a type of Habanero, I try to only eat those after noon, they will light you on fire. I like to use them in guacamole and salsas, just takes a little. I have several varieties growing, some just plain hot, some have a really good flavor to go along with the heat. I have a yellow variety that is awesome in stir fry, or any Asian style spicy food. Need to pick and pickle some today, that classifies as a shade job (except for the picking).
    Ernie K Doe

You snorkel? Hot and flat sounds like a good day for it. Might be able to find / spear something worth frying up also.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Default Holy Guacamole!!!!!

About a year ago.... more or less...... one of the guys that helps me with gardening now and then brought by a friend to help him do some tree trimming. The guys face looked like ground beef... acne like you could not believe. I remembered an old recipe from years ago....... Avocado, honey (real honey, not the crap they sell in the stores) and poppy seed......... half an avocado, one tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of poppy seed..........mash it up ..... scrub your face and let it sit on your face for 30 minutes. Rinse with water and no soap. After 6 months or so Lester's face is like a baby's bottom. He keeps the routine up 2 times a week now.
    I rent rooms in my house by the day, week, month.

Blog Entries

Sounds like another product for Melissa.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Guacamole still getting served at least once a day, breakfast this morning was toasted Coco Bread with Avocado smeared on it like butter. I think the Mayan word for Avocado was the same as butter, something like that, and I will say it is a fine substitute.

All but one of my trees is played out with the first crop, but it still has on hundreds, should hold me until Thanksgiving.

I have a tree that first produced 3 years ago, been coming along, maybe 2-3 dz this year, back in August I noticed that it was in bloom again, called upon some "Older Heads" (elders) to take a look. Some had heard of it, never seen it. Must have 4-5 dozen on now and I would estimate 2.5 more months until they drop. Merry Xmas to me. Black-Eyed Peas, Fried Okra, and Guacamole, makes me smile.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yea and I had 5 beautiful Gauckamole trees here, a bit young yet, strong as a Blue Ox Bull stood 160 Kt. winds for over 6 hours during Hurricane Felix and all of them 6 or 8 months later died....Grave Yard Dead.

Crap they didn't give a warning, last will and testiment, or tell me to KMA.... this is One of the young trees and my daughter in the photo.

Ain't figgured it out yet, why they did so. I never in life had that trouble with a plant, not even when I snuck a bit in the woods back home and grew a few of those "Left Handed Tobacco" plants, the deer ate them so I ate the "Stoned" deer.

But now I have some of Capt.Blygh's boone in the yard, Breadfruit trees. Now this one in the picture has about 8 months since I planted a rooting shoot of it, I trained DSB's dog Tonky, (His full Christan Name is Tonk) that Bob made an orphan of and left him in my care, well anyway I trained Tonky to pee on the Bread fruit sprouts. and this was the resultant astronomical growth that occured in such a short time.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Still eating Avocado, How does the Alan Jackson song go? Too much of a good thing, is a good thing? Not as enthusiastic as I was 4-5 months ago, but still hanging on. The loaded tree is still bearing, tried to keep track, going to near 1,000 fruit on that tree.

The tree with the 2nd coming is loaded with many more than the first fruiting and it is an extra nice variety called Butter Pear.

Fresh Avocado 8 months out of the year can't be such a bad thing. Maybe I should not have planted so many more.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast