Thread: Business as Usual in Granada

Default Business as Usual in Granada

I'll be arriving in Granada mid-September to retire. From what I've been reading recently, it seems like there is a downturn in visitors, tourists in Granada and maybe Nicaragua in general.

My questions are, what is the housing market like in Granada and also Leon? Is it easy to find a 1 bedroom apartment in either city now. Are prices falling or raising? I'm looking for a place in Centro of either city.

I would like to live in centro to be close to markets, restaurants, shopping and of course a local bar for refreshments. Do not need to be close to Gringolandia, however, an occasional meeting with expats would be nice.

Any information fellow members can provide would be much appreciated. Also open to other areas of the country where costs of living are comfortable and easy going. Not looking to spend a lot of money on a monthly basis as my income is only $2,000 US.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Bajsur

Blog Entries

Default Re: Business as Usual in Granada

Quote Originally Posted by bajasur View Post
    I'll be arriving in Granada mid-September to retire. From what I've been reading recently, it seems like there is a downturn in visitors, tourists in Granada and maybe Nicaragua in general.

My questions are, what is the housing market like in Granada and also Leon? Is it easy to find a 1 bedroom apartment in either city now. Are prices falling or raising? I'm looking for a place in Centro of either city.

I would like to live in centro to be close to markets, restaurants, shopping and of course a local bar for refreshments. Do not need to be close to Gringolandia, however, an occasional meeting with expats would be nice.

Any information fellow members can provide would be much appreciated. Also open to other areas of the country where costs of living are comfortable and easy going. Not looking to spend a lot of money on a monthly basis as my income is only $2,000 US.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Bajsur
    An income of $2,000 a month in any number of department capitals here will give you a very good life. Not much in Jinotega rents for much more than $500 a month and that includes some beautiful places with double strands of razor wire around the perimeter, recent construction (rented at present), and might include an Art Deco mansion you could probably subdivide (still for rent). I don't know about Granada and Leon -- other people can give better advice there.

There are three cities in the highlands that are generally cooler than the rest of the country: Esteli, Jinotega, and Matagalpa. Esteli and Matagalpa would have more night life and restaurants than Jinotega. Esteli had luxury high rise apartments on the central park available for $350 last summer, looked like a doorman building, perhaps. You can normally find houses for rent anywhere from $100 up, half houses for sometimes less, better one bedrooms here for $130 to $250, depending on how green gringo you look. I don't know how Matagalpa prices compare to these.

My monthly income is a fraction of yours. I live comfortably, but not lavishly, in Jinotega, renting half a house for C$1700 a month (roughly US $85). The place needed work, some of which the landlord reimbursed and some I just figured as price of getting such a deal. The landlady has it for sale, but not at a price anyone in Jinotega wants to pay for it. There's another house across the street for about $10K less.

A/C costs will be high in the hotter parts of the country. Nobody uses central heat in the highlands even when it's in the high 50s; they just wear more clothes. A few people have fireplaces (I know of two).

Default Re: Business as Usual in Granada

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be ok with costs. Hope to hear from others about Granada and Leon.