Thread: Warden Message:New Nicaraguan Immigration Rules Impact U.S.-Nicaraguan Dual Nationals

Default Warden Message:New Nicaraguan Immigration Rules Impact U.S.-Nicaraguan Dual Nationals

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens

New Nicaraguan Immigration Rules Impact U.S.-Nicaraguan Dual Nationals

This message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens with dual (American and Nicaraguan) nationality to recent changes to Nicaragua’s entry and exit requirements. The U.S. Embassy has received numerous reports from U.S. Citizens in the past two weeks that Nicaraguan immigration officials are requiring dual nationals to exit Nicaragua with a Nicaraguan passport, even if they entered Nicaragua using their U.S. passport. Nicaraguan citizens, regardless of dual nationality, may be required to use a Nicaraguan passport for all travel to and from Nicaragua. We have also received reports that U.S. citizen visitors are not being allowed to enter Nicaragua if their passport is valid for less than six months.

These changes apparently are the result of a newly-enacted Nicaraguan citizenship law, about which the U.S. Embassy was given no prior notice. Our efforts thus far to request information and clarification from Nicaraguan authorities have been unsuccessful. Until such time as we are able to get more definitive, written information from the Nicaraguan government about these new requirements, the Embassy recommends that U.S.-Nicaraguan dual citizens residing in the U.S., who plan to visit Nicaragua, consult with the Nicaraguan Embassy in Washington or the nearest Nicaraguan Consulate, for more information about new entry requirements. The Embassy also recommends that, until further notice, all U.S. citizens (including those who do not also possess Nicaraguan citizenship) traveling to Nicaragua ensure their U.S. passport is still valid for at least 6 months.

Nicaraguan citizens can apply for a Nicaraguan passport through the Nicaraguan Embassy and Consulates in the United States or at any Nicaraguan Immigration office in Nicaragua. Further information on applying for a Nicaraguan passport may be found on the Nicaraguan Immigration website http://www.migob.gob.ni/dgme/. While expedited passport services are available for Nicaraguan passports, all Nicaraguan citizens must first be in possession of a national identification card, or “cedula,” before applying for a Nicaraguan passport. Given the strong demand for cedulas, which also serve as voter identification cards, in advance of the November 6 national elections, there have been reports of widespread delays in the issuance of Nicaraguan cedulas. We therefore recommend that dual national travelers take this into consideration before planning a visit to Nicaragua.

The U.S. Embassy will continue to seek clarification of these new rules from the Nicaraguan authorities, and as soon as we obtain a response we will update published consular information about Nicaraguan entry and exit requirements.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    The U.S. Embassy in Managua is located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua. The U.S. Embassy in Managua can be reached 24/7 at 011-505-2252-7100. For emergencies (deaths, arrests, etc.) after hours, U.S. citizens can call this phone number and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer. The ACS unit is also available by email at ACS.Managua@state.gov

General information regarding consular services is available by calling 011-505-2252-7104. Non-emergency services for U.S. citizens are available Monday through Friday, 1:00 to 3:00 PM, except on Nicaraguan and U.S. holidays.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Embassy’s website and the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website, where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found. The U.S. Embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review to "A Safe Trip Abroad", which includes valuable security information for those both living and traveling abroad. In addition to information on the Internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Warden Message:New Nicaraguan Immigration Rules Impact U.S.-Nicaraguan Dual Natio

Any word on other nationalities being targeted?

Does dual citizenship "mean" a citizen of another country, of Nicaraguan birth, who has not officially rescinded their birth citizenship ?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Warden Message:New Nicaraguan Immigration Rules Impact U.S.-Nicaraguan Dual Natio

I guess all this started at the same time, Visa extensions have doubled in price and the penalty per day for overstaying a Visa is now 50 cord, I believe it was 20.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

This page aludes to entrence and exit of foreign nationals but only in broad terms before going into detail of Passport cost increases nor nationals...

Migob

Blog Entries

And another Google shows this...

PDF of the Law, Drafted Mar 2011 / Tabled July 7 / Passed Aug 2 / Enforce Aug 6

http://legislacion.asamblea.gob.ni/S...jer%C3%ADa.pdf

Google monkey quickly learns that pushing button yields yet another Banana...

Blog Entries

How do they know if a traveler has dual citizenship? If a dually enters on a US passport and leaves on a US passport, how would Nica immigration know to demand a Nica passport?

Blog Entries

Usually you would leave US on US passport. enter Nica on Nica passport, and visa versa, or something like that.

That computer thing ma jig is real smart.

All this could be be exact opposite, I can ask and see for sure, but I know there is some advantage to doing it one way over the other. Huge # of people here on the Island have dual citizenship, not just USA, but all over. They travel in on a foreign passport and they have to renew visa etc, just like me.`Tourists in their own country.
    Last edited by cookshow; 09-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Good Google Monkey.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Usually you would leave US on US passport. enter Nica on Nica passport, and visa versa, or something like that.

That computer thing ma jig is real smart.
    That's not smart me thinks...

Blog Entries

Well crossing in from CR you would save $12 per trip using your Nica passport. Plus if you are entering for more than 3 months you will save the $60 every 3 months for a Visa renewal you would need if using the USA passport.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Ahhh .. So it is a cash grab..

I thought it was a means of scaring away dual nationals in the upcoming election from casting an unscripted ballot.. But that is just the cynic in me...

Blog Entries

Last election, planes were full. You may have a good point though, just another reason not to vote, for those living off. No advance press about it, and well the timing, is ....
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I took my children several years ago to Virginia they left Nicaragua on their nica passports and entered the states on their US passports, It confused them a bit when the Immigration people were telling them "Welcome Home"

I don't remember about leaving the US to come back here, but I re-entered Nica they on their passports and I with my cedula of residency.

AA did all the fancy foot work I guess...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

I thought it was a means of scaring away dual nationals in the upcoming election from casting an unscripted ballot.. But that is just the cynic in me...
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

So I learned that Nicas use the two passports to save money. They use whichever is cheaper at whichever entry/exit point.

Given the price of a passport it's probably a false economy, but you know how people are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Any word on other nationalities being targeted?

Does dual citizenship "mean" a citizen of another country, of Nicaraguan birth, who has not officially rescinded their birth citizenship ?
    Found an old post (Circa 2005) on "Nica site brand B " that Citizen ship terminated upon assumption of a new nationality that doe s not have reciprocal Dual Citizen agreement..