Thread: Island visit

Blog Entries

Default Island visit

Just back from a bit over 3 weeks on Big Corn. Humid was the word for this visit. We went through t-shirts like water. Cookshow was right when he suggested buying a bunch at good will prior to coming as you go through them pretty quick.

Visited the farm twice, once with dead pig, once without. First time meeting Kevin, a real nice guy and a beautiful farm. You can see it from the plane during take off! We hope to see more of him in the future. Maybe we can give him a porch to visit when he gets bored so he doesn't get into too much trouble

After 4.5 years of working on clearing the title for our land, we FINALLY have the deeds and have it all registered on our names. Victory is ours. Now we are working on a building permit which is harder then it sounds on the island. More on that later.

Went to Crab Soup Festival which was much more family oriented then I expected. The drums started at 3:45 AM where we stayed and, since we were about 1 block from the Saturday festivities, the action continued until about 5 AM. They sold Flor de Cana by the bottle which made for a good afternoon of spectator sport, viewing the crowd and the dance action on the stage. Tried the soup and gallo pinto. Good stuff but very spicy. Every bario makes it's own food and it is given to the crowd for free. Gringos are at a premium but it doesn't matter as the island is full of really friendly folks. Sat and talked to several people we had met in the past. Very colorful day.

We missed Merle's homecoming by two days. It's good to know he's coming back. He's is our closest ex-pat neighbor and we are looking forward to tapping into his island expertise.

All in all, it was a good trip. Calm seas, great food, not much rain and actual property ownership. We hope to return soon to begin the building process. It is indeed paradise there.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Island visit

Hey Dolly,

Thank Ya'll for everything, the dogs are still enjoying treats, and are tick free. Miserable with the heat, but what can ya do.

Swiss Chard is coming, corn and yellow squash are in the ground.

Humid? You forgot to mention HOT. I have been trying to get an acre ready to burn, too humid, can't get it dry enough to light like I want, today may be the day. Been swinging Machete several hours a day and not in any mood to type. My skin is looking like leather, and not the fine Italian kind.

Started moving BIG rock yesterday, I guess we have moved at least 15 ton, that much more between this afternoon and tomorrow morning. 6 men and me. They just left to rest off and eat. Did I mention it is HOT... 6 men drank 3 gallons of water and 2 half gallon bags of ice this morning. I just sent for more ice for this afternoon. We still have at least 5 hours of work to go.

No machete hand today, just damn tired. The big rock scares me, we had a near mishap this morning. I never hire derelicts for the big rock work, only friends who have done it before.

I am going to hit the hammock for an hour, get ready for some more.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The men had to go handle some boat business. We handled a little more rock. I am telling you, I think this is the hottest it has been all year, I am baked, even without the rum.. We are cooking here. I think this morning 5 gallons of water got drank, it is blistering. I am about to light a fire, check out the satellite pics, it show up.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The men had to go handle some boat business. We handled a little more rock. I am telling you, I think this is the hottest it has been all year, I am baked, even without the rum.. We are cooking here. I think this morning 5 gallons of water got drank, it is blistering. I am about to light a fire, check out the satellite pics, it show up.
    Start fire under rock.. When good and hot throw water on rock and carry smaller blocks away once cool....
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

First you lift the 500-1000# rocks, then go gather some firewood on the Mainland.

Billy, you better come see this.
    Ernie K Doe

Hey Dolly,

Thank Ya'll for everything, the dogs are still enjoying treats, and are tick free. Miserable with the heat, but what can ya do.

Swiss Chard is coming, corn and yellow squash are in the ground.

Humid? You forgot to mention HOT. I have been trying to get an acre ready to burn, too humid, can't get it dry enough to light like I want, today may be the day. Been swinging Machete several hours a day and not in any mood to type. My skin is looking like leather, and not the fine Italian kind.

Started moving BIG rock yesterday, I guess we have moved at least 15 ton, that much more between this afternoon and tomorrow morning. 6 men and me. They just left to rest off and eat. Did I mention it is HOT... 6 men drank 3 gallons of water and 2 half gallon bags of ice this morning. I just sent for more ice for this afternoon. We still have at least 5 hours of work to go.

No machete hand today, just damn tired. The big rock scares me, we had a near mishap this morning. I never hire derelicts for the big rock work, only friends who have done it before.

I am going to hit the hammock for an hour, get ready for some more.
    1. You are insane !
    2. And to think I wanted you for ambassador to NicaLand; I must be insane.
    3. Hint #1:
    You are not on the chain gang as in Cool Hand Luke !!
    4. Hint #2:
    You hired 5; why not hire 6 ?? and sit with a rum and SUPERVISE !!!

VERY DISTURBING POSTING; I will be in Corn Island next week and bring meds (and of course more Rum)
    pp

Blog Entries

Actually it is more disturbing than you can imagine, I am giving this Rock away. I am only supervising another man's workers. I have looked at this rock too long, and am tired of it. We will start hauling again in the morning I guess we will move another pound or 2 tomorrow.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Next week is good, I think some kind of Holiday. Might as well celebrate.

PP give me a shout, I think some other TRN members will be around as well.
    Ernie K Doe

Next week is good, I think some kind of Holiday. Might as well celebrate.

PP give me a shout, I think some other TRN members will be around as well.
    We´ll be there Kevin. Don´t forget to send me a list. Wait till the rock is moved I may not ever get it.
    Here in the real world they're shutting Detroit down.

Quote Originally Posted by marnica View Post
    We´ll be there Kevin. Don´t forget to send me a list. Wait till the rock is moved I may not ever get it.
    Marnica,

THIS IS AN EMBASSEY ALERT !!

Mr. Cookshow has previously "invited" guests to this seculed spot on an island...off shore..

then MAYBE, arranged for tire and van burnings to prevent planes fom landing & makes folks toil in the baking sun...all is the name of "going green" as in lettuce..

Has large dogs to prevent escapes , as he sits on the deck..

I may go to the island, not to visit, but for video taping...

Interesting he suddenly invites more TRN folks, cons them with sweet talk, err emails,

while admitting he still has more ROCK work.....a verison of The Castle, with Robert Redford....except he is the warden !!!

BEWARE>>
    pp

Quote Originally Posted by Playa Pete View Post
    Interesting he suddenly invites more TRN folks, cons them with sweet talk, err emails,

while admitting he still has more ROCK work.....a verison of The Castle, with Robert Redford....except he is the warden !!!

BEWARE>>
    pp
    Well, we all know how that ended.......not well. Too bad they don´t take kindly to dynamite on planes or problem would be solved. I could always hold the camera for you while Kevin is showing you his new sledge hammer.
    Here in the real world they're shutting Detroit down.

Blog Entries

No sledge hammer here, in one day last year some workmen managed to break it and the chisel.

Scratch head, go sit on porch.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't feel bad, I bought a brand new yard rake for my children to sweep the yard with.

It was the most durable I could find available without buliding the thing myself.

For want of NOT useing it they tore it all to pieces inside of 2 hours...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Marnica and his crew came by today between showers, a real wet day. Here we call it a Dr visit, quick. Plans were made for a Sunday get together, They seemed impressed (maybe just scared) by the 8# snapper I pulled out of the fridge.

Way too wet to walk the Farm, Hell we could not even sit on the porch, had to sit inside the house, something I never do. Had to bring in furniture from outside as there is none in the house other than beds.

So if anyone is in the neighborhood Sunday afternoon it looks like there may be a Party.

Marnica has a fishing trip scheduled in the morning, I have a big fish on stand-by, Shrimps are in the freezer as is a bit of tail. Tomorrow I will hit the road and look more tail, need plenty of tail if you plan to call it a party.

Light is Shit, out right now, off and on all day. the freezer is loaded with ice so no worries about cold beverages.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Have not heard from Dolly for some time - Profile shows last log in from 2013 - Still on the island?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Marnica and his crew came by today between showers, a real wet day. Here we call it a Dr visit, quick. Plans were made for a Sunday get together, They seemed impressed (maybe just scared) by the 8# snapper I pulled out of the fridge.

Way too wet to walk the Farm, Hell we could not even sit on the porch, had to sit inside the house, something I never do. Had to bring in furniture from outside as there is none in the house other than beds.

So if anyone is in the neighborhood Sunday afternoon it looks like there may be a Party.

Marnica has a fishing trip scheduled in the morning, I have a big fish on stand-by, Shrimps are in the freezer as is a bit of tail. Tomorrow I will hit the road and look more tail, need plenty of tail if you plan to call it a party.

Light is Shit, out right now, off and on all day. the freezer is loaded with ice so no worries about cold beverages.

Is the Captain D still running?

Blog Entries

Capt D and others, lots of options.
    Ernie K Doe

Capt D and others, lots of options.
    K you taking the boat back and forth to BLU or LaC?

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    K you taking the boat back and forth to BLU or LaC?

Yes, really want to get over there and meet everyone.
    I met Kevin earlier when he made a visa run,, we spent some time in CR together.

Never had enough time to do the boat trips, BLU to Rama or BLU to BIC. Always wanted to, even though I hate boats on the DAC.