Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okra, in Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Default Okra, in Nicaragua

This may come as a surprise to many but Nicaragua exports a huge amount of Okra, where it is grown I have no Idea, but I know it to be fact.

Okra from my Farm has been has been put out here and there too. I know, Jinotepe, Bluefields, Kukra Hill, Pearl Lagoon, MGA, and also Matagalpa have it growing from seed that I supplied. I also have reason to believe that it is growing in a European Embassy Compound in MGA.

Do a Google search about Okra, especially with diabetes, amazing stuff, so maybe someday my garden will be like a pharmacy.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Re: Okra, in Nicaragua

Early in my Nica adventures, when we were still stuck in a gated community in Mga, I found frozen okra at the food store one day and went nuts. I made a HUGE pot of a sausage and shrimp gumbo, and promptly went around to my Nica friends with extra bowls to share. You can't embrace the Louisiana food without picking up the lagniappe 'tude, as well!

While delivering some to Gamaliel, the ever so friendly and helpful distribuidora owner near our subdivision, I met a fella who grew okra. As I described to Gamaliel what was in the hearty stew I had brought him, a small Nicaraguan man grabbed my arm and said, in English "I know okra, I grow okra." With my friend's help, 'cause I spoke no español at the time, I found out that this man was the manager of an okra producing plant just north of the airport, one that shipped it's product to the US.

The crop definitely does well here, not sure why it's not more of a local staple, but I've met resistance every time I try to get a Nica friend to try some. As far as I'm concerned, breakfast just ain't the same without a serving of fried okra!!!!!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Any time it rains (about 6 months of the year), I read. Okra is pretty good for you. I love it fried, but hate frying, so I usually just use some of the Sunday Gravy I make time to time and cook it in that a few minutes, it is nice hot, warm, and cold.

When I cook Black-Eyes, Okra Fried is a must, Nice.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Why do you hate frying? Embrace the dark side, my friend!

Actually, frying food is not nearly as bad as the "folks in the know" would have you believe. Alot depends on the temperature of the oil, time spent frying each item, how clean the oil is, and lastly, how the finished product is left to drain. One should NEVER put anything out of a fryer onto a paper towel or anything else absorbent. The ONLY way to finish a fried product is on a rack, whether it be a wok rack, baking rack, or a homemade aluminum foil thingy.

Mother Nature's goodness just needs to be fried sometimes! And I thank goodness I lived in the South long enough to learn THAT lesson. While a ripe tomato fresh-picked off the vine is a thing to behold, so is the green one that's been lovingly treated to a gentle coating of breadcrumbs and fried to a crisp, golden perfection.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I love fried foods. Almost all food here is fried, and it is just too much. I am a huge believer in Lard, use a little every day in my beans.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

My grandma lived to 105 and I remember that everything she cooked started with a dollop of lard in the skillet.

And she had 12 kids in between cooking!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Had some Okra and Eggplant last night for dinner, good stuff. Not much else producing vegetables up here right now, except for some peppers. How long does the Okra produce for down there?

Ive heard of a couple of treatments for diabetes in RAAS. And of course the universal Noni remedy.

Blog Entries

You ever smell ripe Noni, not sure it cures anything, just scares it away, Yikes. I have 2 of the trees and thankfully they are at the back of my property.

What I have found with the Okra is that it will produce pretty good for up to a year and then the pods start to get "woody" even when they are very small. During the dry season when the production slows I often take the machete and chop them off at about a foot high (they will easily grow 8' tall here), when the weather gets right they will come up and produce a little more, gives me some time to get a new batch going.
    Ernie K Doe

8'! Makes sense about them getting more woody with age. Over a few inches here and they get to fibrous to enjoy eating. I think they're related to Hibiscus.

Love some pickled Okra. I made a couple jars but think I might have precooked them to long. Made some pickled bamboo shoots this year, also pretty tasty.

Im not an experienced Noni eater but I have tried it a couple times. I think it gets worse with age. If you get it off the tree and slice it, before it gets discolored, it is crisp and I doesnt have much flavor. People swear by it but its a horrid looking fruit.

Blog Entries

Yes, A hibiscus. I pickle it here, seldom precook it, throw it in the brine and keep it in the fridge no need to process, makes for a nice crisp addition to a meal or salads. Sometimes I will heat the brine and put in on. I put in onion, China Peppers, whatever I got, nice.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Here they call Noni Hog Apple, but I have yet to find a hog that will eat it.
    Ernie K Doe

Now Im going to have to try and find a way to eat them.

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

OK, OK! Who can get me some okra seed?

Kevin volunteered a few months ago. But, it was ALL talk!
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

I still got seed, harvested some today.

Got some seed over to Melissa, but your location is a little out of the way, if you know what I mean.
    Ernie K Doe

Nevah been thar, but from the avatar, it would appear that ya gotta have a canoe, mosquito net, have completed a through course in the wrestling of alligators of the opposite sex and have a damned mean disposition to survive....but I bet papa can be most accommodating, eh?

Carretera Masaya km 10.5, approx 2 k al Sur
    Blog Entries

Default I grew okra this season...

started off slow growing, with varmints eating all the leaves overnight a couple of times. Came back though and now we have about six plants that have to be ten feet high tall if they are an inch.

I am pretty well done with eating it...so just letting it grow out and am saving the seeds. It really does grow well here, but the locals on this side (Pacific) do not know the plant or the vegetable. I imagine it is more popular on the Caribbean side due to the African influence on the culture. Okra is originally from Africa.
    Doors of hope fly open when doors of promise shut. -Thomas D'Arcy McGee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I still got seed, harvested some today.

Got some seed over to Melissa, but your location is a little out of the way, if you know what I mean.
    If you´ll walk the beach like you were planning a while back, I can meet you in Walpasiksa to make the pickup!

Otherwise, can you send it to a drop-off point in Managua? I go there every month.
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

MGA, I am sure we can do.

I would rather meet in Walpasiksa.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Nevah been thar, but from the avatar, it would appear that ya gotta have a canoe, mosquito net, have completed a through course in the wrestling of alligators of the opposite sex and have a damned mean disposition to survive....but I bet papa can be most accommodating, eh?
    I do admit to having lost my temper a few times. But, the alligators tell me that they think that I have a sweet disposition! Or, did they say that their suspicion is that I´ll taste sweet? Oh, well...

I´ve got plenty of room in the canoe. And, welcome anyone with a paddle. BYOMN and rubber boots! Actually, the mosquitoes usually go away when we light up a termite nest.

We eat what we catch and clean. I just bought three bags of rice (308# actually). We can take turns de-hulling it in the pelón (mortar). This is a great year for citrus (oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons), breadfruit, pejibaya (peach palm), granadilla, soursop, kalala, cacao, yuca and more on the river. We bought delicious oranges and grapefruit C$30 per hundred last weekend! Watermelon and canteloupe go into the ground next month!

I bet okra will taste great here. Don´t know if the alligators will eat it, though.

Blog Entries

Sap Bas.

Mavin and I used to have a little joke, Raya Bas (be alive), we would always throw that back and forth. When Marvin had his stroke the first thing I said to him was Raya Bas, he squeezed my hand.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mupitara View Post
    I do admit to having lost my temper a few times. But, the alligators tell me that they think that I have a sweet disposition! Or, did they say that their suspicion is that I´ll taste sweet? Oh, well...

I´ve got plenty of room in the canoe. And, welcome anyone with a paddle. BYOMN and rubber boots! Actually, the mosquitoes usually go away when we light up a termite nest.

We eat what we catch and clean. I just bought three bags of rice (308# actually). We can take turns de-hulling it in the pelón (mortar). This is a great year for citrus (oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons), breadfruit, pejibaya (peach palm), granadilla, soursop, kalala, cacao, yuca and more on the river. We bought delicious oranges and grapefruit C$30 per hundred last weekend! Watermelon and canteloupe go into the ground next month!

I bet okra will taste great here. Don´t know if the alligators will eat it, though.
    Dud, how do ya'll cook breadfruit other than fry it. I was reading some recipes for it the other day, but nothing caught my eye. I don't have a bearing tree, but neighbors are keeping me well supplied with it and sending me all the over ripe ones for the hog.

Very nice thinly sliced and fried, especially when used to dip Guacamole with.

Oranges are selling for 3 cord each here.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Dud, how do ya'll cook breadfruit other than fry it. I was reading some recipes for it the other day, but nothing caught my eye. I don't have a bearing tree, but neighbors are keeping me well supplied with it and sending me all the over ripe ones for the hog.

Very nice thinly sliced and fried, especially when used to dip Guacamole with.

Oranges are selling for 3 cord each here.
    Dud, dogs eat it as well, Mr. Steves dogs wouldn't eat it for a month, but they changed their minds I guess.

Hey Cookshoe, ya gone have to get a bit creative with them like Mil does many times, I know Gaston puts them in rundowns, (soups) and they are good. I have not tried to do it with them a bit more green to perhaps come out more like the potato when fried, but now that you mention it I will experimant around with them.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Wahl hell! This then proves it with solid scientific evidence; if'n ya don't feed dogs for darned near a month....they will eat just about anything!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am reminded of what the Mouth of the South the great Comedian Jerry Clower said about Boiled Okra.

His moma sent him to feed the dogs a bowl of boiled okra cause they didn't have anything at the time to feed 'em with.

So he took it out side and poured it in the dogs dish for them.

Well it went down so fast that all the dogs thought the others got it and went to fighting about it.

He said 'em dogs fought for three days and he was sure didn't none of them know what they was fighting about...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

When I was in college I used to work on a ranch during breaks. The old truck I drove had an 8 track player and 3 - 8 tracks, all Jerry Clower.

I have always enjoyed comedy, Richard Pryor and George Carlin top my list, but Jerry is right there with them, and he never had to cuss. Funy shit, no doubt.

Nothin better than a 100 car banana train.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast