Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive lighting for metal roofs.

Blog Entries

Default Inexpensive lighting for metal roofs.

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Inexpensive lighting for metal roofs.

What a great idea!! Necessity is indeed the mother of invention. Thanks for the post.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Impressive

Blog Entries

Holy crap, that's brilliant! I love simple stuff like that. Everybody wins!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Holy crap, that's brilliant! I love simple stuff like that. Everybody wins!
    Literally "brilliant... "
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Active TRN Member

interesting..what i do instead of soda bottles..i bought corrugated plastic..like the the tin roofs and put them in my roof in stead of the tin..get a lot more light..and yes..it is more expensive than the bottle idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    interesting..what i do instead of soda bottles..i bought corrugated plastic..like the the tin roofs and put them in my roof in stead of the tin..get a lot more light..and yes..it is more expensive than the bottle idea.
    It is the diffraction caused by the water that is so great. While a sky light is good in "quantity" of light, the scatter of the bottle is better for getting the light to scatter to the corners..

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

We need Tona to put their beer in clear 2L bottles!! I would then lend a hand in emptying the bottles to be used as light fixtures!! I would do this free of charge!! And yes they do put beer in 2L plastic bottles back in Saskatchewan! Mind you it was the cheap beer,lol Another way on how beer solves everything!!

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    We need Tona to put their beer in clear 2L bottles!! I would then lend a hand in emptying the bottles to be used as light fixtures!! I would do this free of charge!! And yes they do put beer in 2L plastic bottles back in Saskatchewan! Mind you it was the cheap beer,lol Another way on how beer solves everything!!
    Yeah, I can picture the publicity campaign now...¨LIGHT UP SO THE FAMILY CAN SEE!¨ The way nicas drink Toña they´ll have to put on sunglasses to go inside!

Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like this, and I did put 2 of those plastic panels in the roof of a house I had in the market that had no cieling and I mean ta tell ya you could see in there great....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

This may be a great way to add light to the house, and rain as well.

I have climbed and inspected 1,000's of roofs and I can tell you one thing about this bottle business, the roof is going to leak.

I am guessing many that use this have no electric so a leaky roof is probably not a big deal. My roof leaks, and the worst one is of course over my bed. No way I am going to try and cut any holes in it (metal roofing is usually cut with a machete here, not any precision tools). Chicklets have solved my immediate problems, but if you cut a hole for a 2 liter bottle you better be ready to chew lots of gum.

One day back in the 90's I worked a Million $ + Mansion outside of Phoenix, in those days it was big money there. The Korean Dr that owned it (and a Rolls in the drive), tell me, new house, just build, roof no suppose to leak, I say no, you, and your architect, and your builder, think it never supposed to rain. This roof built to leak, and unfortunately without an opening caused by a storm to allow the water to enter your dwelling the damage is not covered by your insurance policy.

Was not the 4th of July, but might as well been, Wow, a funny memory.

Moral to the story, poorly designed roofs leak, not a problem until it rains, enjoy all the free light.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    This may be a great way to add light to the house, and rain as well.

I have climbed and inspected 1,000's of roofs and I can tell you one thing about this bottle business, the roof is going to leak.
    Did a covered porch through the summer..

Asked a contractor friend of mine which brand of Skylight to buy..

He said "Buy the Pella - It will take longer to leak"

Edit - As long as Grampa Hugo is around they can ask Uncle Sandie to give another 10 sheets of zink to combat the leaks.

Blog Entries

I worked in a crazy business, we would often have get togethers at one another's homes, first thing we would do is climb on the roof and speculate where the first leak would be. I guess the funny thing is that everyone showed up with their own ladder and would refuse to climb any other. Pull up to a house and see 10-15 ladders leaned against it, now that is a party.<BR>

Holes in roof = Water in house.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Get some wire, chop off the top of a second bottle, fill with dirt and seeds, hang bottle below first skylight bottle. Now you can have indoor plants what will be watered naturally.

Blog Entries

Get some wire, chop off the top of a second bottle, fill with dirt and seeds, hang bottle below first skylight bottle. Now you can have indoor plants what will be watered naturally.
    Unfotunately for the Korean Dr they had neglected to fill botttles with dirt and seed, flooded the first floor, and that was back when wood was still wood, yikes he was hoppig mad. Should have seen the grand piano.

I had 3 cell phones ringing before I was a block from the house. I think his agent ate a big E&O (malpractice) claim, he was suing the builder and everyone. They called me, but he was unwilling or unable to pay my professional fees to go to big court.

He may have finally read his policy, or his lawyer read it to him. Basically says that if you build a stupid ass house it will leak, good luck.
    Ernie K Doe

Managua/Alamikamba/Walpa Yakalban/Bonanza
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Unfotunately for the Korean Dr they had neglected to fill botttles with dirt and seed, flooded the first floor, and that was back when wood was still wood, yikes he was hoppig mad. Should have seen the grand piano.

I had 3 cell phones ringing before I was a block from the house. I think his agent ate a big E&O (malpractice) claim, he was suing the builder and everyone. They called me, but he was unwilling or unable to pay my professional fees to go to big court.

He may have finally read his policy, or his lawyer read it to him. Basically says that if you build a stupid ass house it will leak, good luck.
    Because I´m stuck with a slow and unstable 2G portable Claro satellite connection here in Alamikamba, I can´t open the Phillipine site to look at it. However, I do fully agree with Kevin´s assessment regarding cutting holes in the roof and inevitable leaks.

What amazes me here that people will build a house with low walls, few or no windows, low-pitched (virtually no-pitch) roof with little or no overhang and cover it with rusty tin roofing. As a result, it is hot, dark, smokey, and leaky.

Out here in the bush, lots of folks build what I like to call a ¨heat bubble house¨. The roof is pitched from all four sides to a low ridge point and no venting. I understand that this design provides greater hurricane resistance. But, it also allows the sun to heat the roof trapping a huge bubble of hot air which makes the living area as unbearable as an oven. This design is also much more complicated and more expensive to build than a simple gable home.

Personally, I think that even the very poor deserve to live more comfortably than this. I find well-built thatched roofing a much more comfortable - and likely healthier - option than poorly designed corrugated roofs!
    Papatara, S.A. - Semaforos de Montoya 3c al sur y 1/2c abajo, frente ENIMOSA, Managua, Nicaragua
    Hotel Papatara - Alamikamba, Municipio de Prinzapolka, RAAN, Nicaragua

Blog Entries

The colonials, with their high ceilings and ventilation, had something right.

Blog Entries

One creative individual found an efficient way to light a shanty all we need now is another creative individual to make it leak proof. Those bottles do not really last forever despite what everyone says. At the least they will cloud up with oxidation and dirt. Periodic removal will be necessary and that is surely where any new leaks will originate. Still a great idea for the third world.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

When you replace the bottle, replace the chewing gum. Easy! Keeps the "bottled light" guy employed, the raw materials are almost free.

Blog Entries

I think these work on the same principal. the first time I saw one of these on a roof the homeowner noticed me studying it, told me to come inside and see it. First we looked at the tube running through the attic (the one he had used some sort of flex tube), then he took me to see the light. I was amazed, he installed it himself, we went back up on the roof and I got a better look at it, the flashing was built into it and I was totally impressed, the amount of light produced was amazing. I am sure the bottle lights are much the same.

Was thinking about the bottle lights last night and wondered if they could not be worked into a thatch roof causing little or no leaking. Not much thatch over here as the materials have to come from the Main, but thought it might be a workable idea.

Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

^^We have three of those. They are great, no leaks in two years, knock on wood.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

They have been used in trailers for years, sometimes old technology is just what you need today
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

The thing that sold me on these is that they do not have to be roofed around, they are small, so only need to make a small cut in one or 2 shingles. Roofers hate obstacles and know they will be long gone before any leaks surface.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast