Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Yota update

  1. #1

    Default Yota update

    Yota has gone all out to drop its price from 760 cordobas a month to 550 with a contract... I was fortunate not to have signed a contract.

    Yota has been out to lunch for the past month. I once had unbelievable speed when I first signed up, watch 2 or so full length movies over the internet without a single pause... now, I am lucky if I get 10 minutes of uninterrupted poor service, because most of the time my Yota is trying to establish a connection.

    It feels like they signed way to many people up, and the system is just overloaded... oh and what ever happen to them expanding to Granada, Masaya and Jinotepe in 2010?! Shit, they haven't even added an additional tower in Managua in over a year.

  2. #2
    Active TRN Member webtrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Carretera Masaya km 10.5, approx 2 k al Sur
    Posts
    137
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default too bad...that's a good price less than $25!

    as you say tres effee sounds like Yota has demand overload, not adding more bandwidth as they get more subscribers. We face Ticuantepe and don't get a good signal at all as you well know so yota is out for us.

    I am fairly happy with our turbonett claro service...but now by my count there are three houses with service on the callejon so we might be experiencing some issues...cool thing was the latest subscriber has someone with some pull @ claro and they replaced existing with new wire—so we'll see if we can stay ahead of demand.

    Thought of you yesterday since we were stuck in traffic trying to get back to the farm and the rowdies had shut down the rotonda by galerias santo domingo...ended up going through huembes and la fuente. hope you didn't get stuck in that too it was horrible.
    Doors of hope fly open when doors of promise shut. -Thomas D'Arcy McGee

  3. #3

    Default Re: too bad...that's a good price less than $25!

    Quote Originally Posted by webtrainer View Post
    as you say tres effee sounds like Yota has demand overload, not adding more bandwidth as they get more subscribers. We face Ticuantepe and don't get a good signal at all as you well know so yota is out for us.

    I am fairly happy with our turbonett claro service...but now by my count there are three houses with service on the callejon so we might be experiencing some issues...cool thing was the latest subscriber has someone with some pull @ claro and they replaced existing with new wire—so we'll see if we can stay ahead of demand.

    Thought of you yesterday since we were stuck in traffic trying to get back to the farm and the rowdies had shut down the rotonda by galerias santo domingo...ended up going through huembes and la fuente. hope you didn't get stuck in that too it was horrible.
    I walked from Rotunda Universataria to my house in La Fuente, very long walk... but I passed the same cars over and over the entire way down. Same speed, less gas! and since my street is the secondary entrance into Managua, well it made for very easy crossing, grid lock! usually you have to wait 5 minutes for the speeding traffic to calm down.

  4. #4
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,271
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Yota update

    There ya go, looking on the bright side of traffic congestion!

  5. #5
    Active TRN Member renco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Poneloya, Nicaragua
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: Yota update

    Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    Yota has gone all out to drop its price from 760 cordobas a month to 550 with a contract... I was fortunate not to have signed a contract.

    Yota has been out to lunch for the past month. I once had unbelievable speed when I first signed up, watch 2 or so full length movies over the internet without a single pause... now, I am lucky if I get 10 minutes of uninterrupted poor service, because most of the time my Yota is trying to establish a connection.

    It feels like they signed way to many people up, and the system is just overloaded... oh and what ever happen to them expanding to Granada, Masaya and Jinotepe in 2010?! Shit, they haven't even added an additional tower in Managua in over a year.
    It will just get worse, they simply can not compete with Claro and Movistar. Rumour has it that they will be sold soon (as was the plan all along). Plus a large chinese carrier and cell phone manufaturer has made application with TELCOR to install and operate a network that is competitive with the two big players.
    You'll excuse me, gentlemen. Your business is politics, mine is running a saloon.
    Casablanca-1942

  6. #6
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    5,802
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Yota update

    Nicaragua recorded 4,2 million mobile subscribers

    As of 2010 closing, Nicaragua recorded 4,2 million mobile telephony users. The sector is one of the most dynamic in the country and grew a 180% as compared with 2006, according to what the Government of such country discloses in a report. The two operators of the country, Claro and Movistar, invested USD 170 million last year.
    According to the report, the 75% of the 5,6 million inhabitants of Nicaragua have a mobile telephone. Such sector growth accounts for the following figures: In 2001, for example, mobile telephony users amounted to 164,000. In 2006, mobile users amounted to 1,5 million. At present, the service is offered in 151 of the 153 municipalities of the country, including communities far from the Caribbean. According to the report, Claro keeps leading position with a 60% market share.
    Moreover, it has been informed that fixed telephony has grown only a 10% since 2006 and highlighted a slow pace resulting from the impact of cellular telephony, both in coverage and prices, as of May 2011. In 2010, about 400,000 users relied on Internet access, though the report – disclosed by the portal El 19 Digital – does not discriminate fixed from mobile connections.




    From here...

    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  7. #7
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,271
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Yota update

    75% of Nicas have a cell phone? That would have to include a lot of infants, school kids, and elderly. Or a lot of people have several phones.

  8. #8
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,316
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Yota update

    Cell Phone, yes. Saldo, no.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  9. #9
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    5,802
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Yota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    75% of Nicas have a cell phone? That would have to include a lot of infants, school kids, and elderly. Or a lot of people have several phones.
    They are probably counting active chips... The only real measure they can apply..

    A chip is active until 6 months from its last use..

    Also remember a lot of people who may need to carry one for work would also probably carry a second personal..

    And then there are us visitors who would skew the numbers somewhat as well (in that they buy and activate chips) ..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  10. #10
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,271
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Yota update

    Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    And then there are us visitors who would skew the numbers somewhat as well (in that they buy and activate chips) ..
    Two or three of those are ours.

  11. #11
    Active TRN Member marnica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Matagalpa, Nicaragua
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Yota update

    A few of us carry duel chips Claro and Moviestar because of rate charged for interconnecting services and the same would apply here at work we use both services here and a hard line because of the cross over rates so when you take into account every cell being doubled at work and personal its sure to add up.
    Here in the real world they're shutting Detroit down.

Similar Threads

  1. YOTA!
    By tresfrijoles in forum La Esquina Tecnica
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-07-2014, 01:55 PM
  2. The Yota difference.
    By tresfrijoles in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
  3. Yota vs. Claro 3g
    By Mikeh in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM
  4. Update from RS
    By Santana in forum Housing and Real Estate
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!