Thread: Good to be back.. but we need a better car.

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Default Good to be back.. but we need a better car.

Well my lady and I have been back in Tola for almost a week now. The house only had one sign of forced entry in the year that we were gone and we were told it was because our renter had locked himself out. We had high hopes that the Maxi Pali in Rivas was going to be a mini Pricemart/Colonia all in one but we went yesterday and realized it is more of a Pali with a plastic store attached to it but it is air conditioned has parking and restrooms so it is quite an improvement.

What is not an improvment is the state of our old 89 Isuzu Trooper. We had a mechanic do about 500 dollars of work on it before our arrival. Everything seemed great on it until we drove it to Rivas. The radiator was completely dry. Maybe because it was never filled maybe because it had a huge leak we will never know but know the mechanic has it again and we are not sure when it will be back. This being said we are looking for a more reliable car. We will be having a baby in March and want an SUV with airbags that is actually reliable. I have been looking at 2000'ish Patrols and Gallopers. I recall seeing someone post a Facebook page with cars from Managua. If anyone has any leads please let me know thatnks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Good to be back.. but we need a better car.

Toyota 4Runners are great, also I hear the Mitsubishi Montero Sport is a good vehicle that's usually priced much lower than Toyotas.

try auto lote el chele, good luck
    http://autoselchele.com/
    Dios es Amor!

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

I may have found a Nissan Patrol in Leon but I want to have a mechanic take a look at it with me. does anyone know of a decent mechanic in Leon that may have time early this week? Monday or Tuesday.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

I know a friends---friend was selling a 2007 Nissan Xtrail here in Managua. NOT a 4x4 though but it looked to be in very good shape (from far, I never got that close)If ur interested, I can email her and see if she still has it

I know a USA Embassy guy selling his 2009 Ford Escape XLT,21000 miles wanting 22500 usd for it(( 6cyl automatic)

Down the rd from me is a 2001 4-door Helix, not a 4x4 and he wants like $12500 for it.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Anna, I think you are soon going to be titled MGA Liason for TRN. Keep up the great work, pictures and pricing of appliances, that's sharp. Now you are keeping track of cars for sale.

MGA has it all, please keep us up to date on your good finds. Especially the great places to eat.

Thanks.

PS. I think there is some kinda great burger place out your way, please check it out.

Melian, I saw a few SUV's on craigslists Nicaragua in the past month, nothing too exciting though. I think catahoula has the link for the facebook page you were talking about, drop her a line.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Anna, I think you are soon going to be titled MGA Liason for TRN. Keep up the great work, pictures and pricing of appliances, that's sharp. Now you are keeping track of cars for sale.

MGA has it all, please keep us up to date on your good finds. Especially the great places to eat.

Thanks.

PS. I think there is some kinda great burger place out your way, please check it out.

Melian, I saw a few SUV's on craigslists Nicaragua in the past month, nothing too exciting though. I think catahoula has the link for the facebook page you were talking about, drop her a line.

https://www.facebook.com/detailsmanagement or email mavericks_granada@yahoo.ca believe they are based out of Grenada, but they look all over!

The Diner--fairly close to the USA embassy has very good burgers!! And the menu is even in Engish! I believe they too have a facebook page!.

And yes now and then one comes across vehicles in criagislist! I have seen a fair that are in the USA still and want to bring them to Nica--Sounds Fishy!

I may have a few other #'s as well as I had been looking for a friend. But off to run errands.

Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    The Diner--fairly close to the USA embassy has very good burgers!! And the menu is even in Engish! I believe they too have a facebook page!
    This one? Approx. KM9 Car Sur. We didn't eat there, but went by it quite a few times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I would highly recommend you check out Nadine and Johan's Facebook page, the link that Scott posted. They live on the road from Nandaime to Granada, near the Mombacho empalme. They've got some vehicles at that location, but also deal with vehicles in other parts of the country. You won't find anybody in country more reliable and honest to deal with.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    This one? Approx. KM9 Car Sur. We didn't eat there, but went by it quite a few times.
    Yep that one!!! Been their 3 times and enjoyed the bugers. Shakes looked very good as well.

Blog Entries

Melian also keep an eye on the classifieds in La Prensa, every so often you will see NGOs and other groups selling or auctioning off vehicles, my guess is that they maintain them well, and they are often nice SUVs.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the help everyone. The Patrol was actually on craigslist. It was listed for 7500 but was rear ended and now they want a lot less and I have a good mechanic here in Rivas so it might make sense to buy it at a steep discount and get it fixed. Down here in Tola we definitely need 4x4. Occasionally I cant even cross the river to get to my house but fortunately it is a short walk and there is a foot bridge.

We are getting our Trooper back on Tuesday but I dont dare drive it to MGA or Leon.

Just be careful with Dip vehicles, they need special paperwork to be sold on the open market in Nicaragua... That means someone is doing more foot work with Nicaraguan authorities, Aduanas, Minrex, and Transito. If the vehicle has not been in country for X years, someone needs to pay the importation taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    I know a friends---friend was selling a 2007 Nissan Xtrail here in Managua. NOT a 4x4 though but it looked to be in very good shape (from far, I never got that close)If ur interested, I can email her and see if she still has it

I know a USA Embassy guy selling his 2009 Ford Escape XLT,21000 miles wanting 22500 usd for it(( 6cyl automatic)

Down the rd from me is a 2001 4-door Helix, not a 4x4 and he wants like $12500 for it.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melian View Post
    I may have found a Nissan Patrol in Leon but I want to have a mechanic take a look at it with me. does anyone know of a decent mechanic in Leon that may have time early this week? Monday or Tuesday.
    There are some excellent mechanics at the Esso station out near the Guadalupe cemetery, near the bypass that goes to UNAN's campus medico, usually available

I never met a Semite I didn't like.

amsutton

I'm not a car or SUV expert, but I was staying with a friend in Nicaragua. He commented that one should always consider the ability to find a mechanic who can work on your car and availability of parts for your make of car. He said Toyotas would be easier to service than some other makes for that reason.