Thread: Trip to Nicaragua November 2011

Blog Entries

Default Trip to Nicaragua November 2011

Trip to Nicaragua …. November 2011

Day 1

Thanks to my very good friend retired from AA, I got a business class flight to MGA for very little money. The flight was empty and the views over Cuba were stunning. I think I saw Guantanamo but not sure. Have to check Mapquest.

Made it into MGA on time only to find the Claro kiosk closed. Made it to Las Mercedes where Ike Siu (who runs the best little hotel on Corn Island) got me a great price for a room there.

At this point I found myself greatly indebted to my friends for making this one of my least expensive trips to Nicaragua so far.

The hotel had a Claro kiosk inside the gift shop and I attempted to make my needs known to the Spanish speaking lady behind the desk. She checked out my pone, consulted with the computer and told me that …..........something in Spanish. We looked at each other for a while and she typed something into her computer. This next part was totally cool. She wanted to communicate so she went to a translation website, typed in her question and showed me the English translation. What I was hoping for was “What is your room number, and I will see you when I get off.”..... somehow ended up with “Need chip”

Well I expected that so I disappointingly said OK and she tried to get the chip out of my phone to no avail. Being a “real man” I took over and with the aid of her scissors, we got that sucker out. Mission accomplished and I was now part of the collective.

Called everyone I knew and set up most of the rest of the week.

Day 2

The most important thing was to get Catahoula's thermometers and other sundries to her. When she runs out of Ranch dressing...well...it ain't pretty.

I got Robert Ow (best taxi service in Managua and a great guy) to get me to San Marcos where we met up with Melissa and Roger and much to my surprise with “Mikeh” from TRN who is a whose delightfully funny and well spoken guy whose only drawback is being Canadian (sorry Bill …. and Mike).

Cat had some plants for me which I am right now trying to figure out how to get them on the plane to Kevin.

Day 3

OK..today's mission is to tour Managua places to shop for building materials and furnishings.

Robert picked me up and off to Richardsons, Sinsa, Price Mart and other building supply houses that I cannot spell. I am trying to get a feel for prices of goods in Managua so that I can make better decisions about importing goods from Miami vs buying them here.

Bottom line is some things seems way too high, some low and some about right.

I am determined to use only stainless steel hardware in my construction and that word does not exist in Managua.

This part of the trip took less time than I anticipated, so I made an impromptu stop to visit with Paul Tiffer, the attorney and discussed residencia advantages, timing and costs. He is an engaging guy who knows what he is doing.

Day 3

I am off tomorrow to meet with Austin Drill and visit 2-3 earthbag construction sites.

More will be revealed.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trip to Nicaragua November 2011

"More will be revealed..." Such as, did the Claro girl find your room ok?

I'd never thought of shopping for acero inoxidoble hardware in Nicaragua. Surely someone sells it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    "More will be revealed..." Such as, did the Claro girl find your room ok?

I'd never thought of shopping for acero inoxidoble hardware in Nicaragua. Surely someone sells it.
    Now you tell me!

Blog Entries

We took some of our own stainless down along with some Delta faucets.

I'm very interested to know wjat the lawyer thought of retirement residency. Can you elaborate on that?

My husbands there right now trying to get the house building going. Too much rain, nothing really getting done. Take the sunshie with you please.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    We took some of our own stainless down along with some Delta faucets.

I'm very interested to know wjat the lawyer thought of retirement residency. Can you elaborate on that?

My husbands there right now trying to get the house building going. Too much rain, nothing really getting done. Take the sunshie with you please.
    When I say stainless, I mean screws, nails, hinges, rafter straps, and the like. Anything else gets eaten up in months.

Not sure what you mean but the big advantage to residencia (pensionado) is the ability to bring in US$20,000 in household goods and appliances and a car with NO duties or taxes.

As for your husband ..... we have had no rain in months! Are you sure he is on the Island? Perhaps he is on Island Time .... Boat soon come mon.....

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you bring your "Occupy Tent" for the mean time?

Welcome to the soon to be LCT MADHOUSE...

As far as fastenings go I use copper wire if I want a lasting stay in the salt ladden air driven in a pilot hole a bit undersized and at slight angles work well for nails. or tie wire for other things.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

How about brass fittings and screws?

Did you ask Paul if boats counted as household goods?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    How about brass fittings and screws?

Did you ask Paul if boats counted as household goods?
    Did not look for brass so I do not know. Ya know most of the "brass" screws you see are plated. Solid brass is kind of hard to find anywhere.

I did ask (almost right away) if a boat could replace the car benefit. He saw the logic (no roads or vehicles on LCI) and promised to get me an answer.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From what I have seen here LCT second hand boats are a dime a dozen, a little fixin' up and a NEW repower is all it takes to have something reliable. The Nica Navy has and sells a bunch of them, is it Edwardono brand made in Colombia. Built to take a likcin' and keep on tickin. most of the time just patch up a few bullet holes and repower it. BTW I consider outboards "No deposit, no return.

What kind of boat would you be interested in? I can surely ask around if ya give me some requirements to fit your needs. BTW I like the idea of a boat to replace a car. You will need a car on Little Island like you would need a hole in ya head.

Let me give ya a for instance; not a speed boat but one that fits well and stand under ya feet in the Carribbean Sea conditions. displacement hull 40x10 glass, power 2 cyl hand start Yanmar diesel, built in flotation, all stainless rudder, shaft, propellar and trinkets. A Friend has bought and give an upgrade to three of these with NEW engines installed launched for about 20k a good 50 to 60k when new. Tote a hell of a load, you would be hard pressed to find a big fat girl friend to sink this one..

Or would you like a sailing craft built of fine wood with natural crook cut ribs? Top quality fastenings, you would have to import....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

We are building all cement, roof too, so we didn't need all that stuff. We were looking at stainless faucets and tie downs to put in the cement for hammocks and the such. We were told by the builder that the plumbing and wiring for the house are way superior in the states. We shipped thr wiring and the breaker box and are muling the rest. I didn't think about the hinges. I may have to go shopping before I come down there.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trip to Nicaragua November 2011 Update

Trip to Nicaragua …. November 2011

Day 4

OK then.......

Robert picked me up and off to SJDS to visit earthbag construction sites. It was pretty cool to see the windmills chugging away in Rivas. Omotepe was spectacular in the distance.

We met with Austin Drill who has extensive internet postings about the house that he built using earthbag techniques. That particular house is quite good looking, inside and out. It is amazing how beautiful and sturdy the floors and walls can be using natural materials with no cement at all.

Austin has started a small development in SJSD that offers well built houses using earthbag construction. One of the things that drives him is the elimination of cement in his buildings because of the huge carbon footprint in manufacturing and transportation of cement. However, what he offers in return for zero (or close to zero) cement is a massive structure that should last for generations.

I can't describe how massive and strong these buildings appear to be. Imagine building a house with two courses of concrete blocks, not just one. The roof may go in a hurricane but the house will remain.

One of the houses that we visited was under construction for a long time member of the other site. Access to the site included a dirt trail followed by fording a creek. Robert was up to it as he brought his 4 wheel drive SUV. Austin used a post and beam construction where the roof and patio was independent of the walls. The roof style is what I want to use on Little Corn as it is perfect for catching the prevailing breeze and funneling it though the house.

Austin's cell is 8 460 6331; email is: austindrill@hotmail.com

I will post some pictures when I get back.

Day 5...down day.

Plane is full, off to Bluefields tomorrow to visit Ann at False Bluff.

Finally convinced the staff here that I wanted ALL the dirt removed from the bougainvilleas so that I could pack them in my backpack. I am NOT paying La Costena to haul dirt at $1.29 per pound.

More will be revealed...

Blog Entries

Sounds like a good trip Tom. I would be writing a trip like that off on my taxes.
    Survivor

good luck with the earthbag house!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Thanks for your help, honey! I'm enjoying the heck out of everything you brought. Hope the rest of your trip is informative. It was great to share some beers with you again!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."