Thread: DELTA - Detroit to MGA Dec 15 2011

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default DELTA - Detroit to MGA Dec 15 2011

Fortunately uneventful

Depart the KW area about 2 PM and arrived at the LaQuinta hotel/ Quik park long term parking lot @ 6:30 PM

The Bluewater bridge was all of 10 min on this trip. Guard asked a few questions but not the full interrogation like last crossing Aug 2010.

Hotel is OK.. Nothing fancy, $99 +Tx & fees ($114 total) Gives 8 days parking. Online coupon gives $50/wk for the remainder.

We had 2 bags over @ 55# and 54# but one under at 39#.. A quick sort got us all right at or under 50#. Being at the terminal @ 4:15 gave us lots of leeway with the bag staff.

Flight to Atlanta boarded at 5:55AM (5:50 advertised) and arrived in Atlanta 15 min early so there was a 5 min gate wait..

Plane was 3/4 full luggage stow was a non issue...

Flight to MGA - Oversold by 2 seats - Offered next day flight - $400 flight voucher hotel and dinner. If we were traviling as a couple I might have bitten..

As the flight was oversold we had 3 of our larger carries checked.. No charge and made boarding a breeze..

We were stuck in the middle seat of 5 rows.. No grouped seats even though we bought 2 months previous..

Arrived on time .

New forms to declare your health and a doctor at immigration eying all people leaving immigration area.

Tourist card is still $10.

Luggage claim was uneventful and while not fast it was far faster than Pearson.

No customs issues

Met Robeth at the door for a relaxing 30 min drive to Masaya. Actually Chilo recognised him before I did.

Cost per flight including all fees, taxes and Canadian exchange (1US to $0.968 CDN) = $687 ea.. About 1/2 the comparable flights from Pearson..

X5 that is an incentive.. !!
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Active TRN Member

Default Re: DELTA - Detroit to MGA Dec 15 2011

$687 -- does that include the cost of driving to Detroit from KW, hotel + parking?

I have looked into traveling by train or bus from Toronto to Detroit and then by air to MGA but it just wasn't economical, because of the cost of train / bus travel and taking cabs between the border crossing and Fort Wayne airport.

During my last trip to Toronto I noticed that there are now airport express buses between Buffalo International Airport and downtown Toronto, which makes flying in and out BUF realistic for those of us without cars at our disposal when we visit southern Ontario.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    $687 -- does that include the cost of driving to Detroit from KW, hotel + parking?

I have looked into traveling by train or bus from Toronto to Detroit and then by air to MGA but it just wasn't economical, because of the cost of train / bus travel and taking cabs between the border crossing and Fort Wayne airport.

During my last trip to Toronto I noticed that there are now airport express buses between Buffalo International Airport and downtown Toronto, which makes flying in and out BUF realistic for those of us without cars at our disposal when we visit southern Ontario.

Wahalll ( Stolen from ??? )

Gas was $70 (but tank is still 1/2 full.. Surprised me for an Expedition..)

Lets say parking is $200 in the end for the 25 days..(Inc Hotel)

Bridge toll was $3.25

Lunch was $21 (Whopper Wed)

Lets say $300 ware and tear on the truck..

So lets say $591

Now 5 tickets with overnight required in Houston from Pearson with Continental Was $997 = 310 x 5 = $1550 before Hotel costs. So we did not spend 1K there

Taca via (IIRC) El Salvador was $1100 ... So no hotel but $413 x 5 = $2065 difference. So we did not spend $1500 we did not need to spend here..

But parking is a good $12 / night in TO even in the park n' fly deep economy lot with coupon so that is another $100...

If it was just the 2 of us.. No probably not.. Maybe break even.. But with 5 it was well worth it..

BUF was only 80% of Pearson prices.. Tourist destinations look good.. Like lets say you were flying to Costa rica or Mexico yes you could save a penny or two .. But not as good ad Detroit..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Sounds like a financial rubic cube
    Survivor