Thread: Lucky Basturd

Blog Entries

Default Lucky Basturd

Picked and shelled 5 pounds of Black-Eyed Peas this morning, they just went on the fire. I feel lucky already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Member

Default Re: Lucky Basturd

Beautiful!

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes indeed you have been blessed to have such a lucky bounty.

The things are prolific here just like the Baby Lima beans. I have in all my gardening day's yet to see anything to beat them, and better than the local grown red or black beans in flavor, nutriction, low maintenence and Wind.

I can't imigine why Locals don't raise either of them. Legend has it that the Black eyed Susans as well as Collard Greens and many other veggies were in olden times only raised for animal food...

God times have changed, and I guess that is why I am part Animal being raised on such fodder.

Never did try Corn Silage though, don't know why, it smelled so much like illegal Whisky when the material was "Working Off" and juice running down the sides of the cemint structors.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

They really are prolific and seem immune to the weather. I grow them in a 2 foot wide row, sprinle the seeds out a few inches apart, less production per plant but much more production per row foot, and the thick cover eliminates weeds, A lazy man's crop if I ever saw one.

Biggest problem is when they start producing, they go crazy and I don't know many here that eat them so me and the Hog get our bellies full of them.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    They really are prolific and seem immune to the weather. I grow them in a 2 foot wide row, sprinle the seeds out a few inches apart, less production per plant but much more production per row foot, and the thick cover eliminates weeds, A lazy man's crop if I ever saw one.

Biggest problem is when they start producing, they go crazy and I don't know many here that eat them so me and the Hog get our bellies full of them.
    I think it is a shame, Ya can lead a horse to water, show him the ease at which to do things, but ya just can't make him partake. You said a mouthfull about prolific, ease of work and maint, excelent livestock and Human food and yet nobody wants to take that path.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I know I am asking for a good southern beating, but I could never understand what yall liked about black eyed peas. They always had an off taste to me.

My mother had southern roots (Askansas) and would always try to introduce us to her family's southern cooking.

I love most of it though, Corn Bread, Chili, rice and beans yum
    Survivor

Blog Entries

I am not sure if it is a regional thing or an aquired taste. I grew up on them. I always hear people say they don't like them. There is a HUGE difference in dried and fresh ones. I have eaten Black-Eyed Peas all my life and have used the dried ones a few times and some canned ones a few other desperate times, there is no compairison.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I am not sure if it is a regional thing or an aquired taste. I grew up on them. I always hear people say they don't like them. There is a HUGE difference in dried and fresh ones. I have eaten Black-Eyed Peas all my life and have used the dried ones a few times and some canned ones a few other desperate times, there is no compairison.
    All right Randude, they are a Southern dish that legend has it to bring luck to the consumers of the beans.

Here is how it came about. In Shermans Raping, burning and almost total destruction of the South in his march to the sea and then northward thru the Carolinas, his troops acting like uncivilized mauriders with everything including murdering old men, and women and children of the South. Salting the fields,and gardens with what salt they found, eating or killing all the livestock, destroying the little food supplies that was left of a beaten Country, what they couldn't eat they left dead or ruined to rot in the ground, all under Lincoln and Grants orders.

They left the over looked supplies of Black Eyed Peas because it was at the time just livestock feed, and of no value to them and no value to feed livestock that no longer exsisted. so they thought the reminants of those left alive would not eat it either and wasted no time in destroying something they considered useless. From this, came the belief that they were good luck, because the Lord had saw fit to spare those survivers from the raids with something to eat even if it was animal feed,and that my friend is how it came about.

As a side note President Harry S. Truman whose mother and grand mother had spent time in one of Lincoln's "Consintration camps" (His words, not mine) and also a Son of Confederate Veterans, after WWll said and got pushed thru US aid to the destroyed nations of Europe; he felt that as conquers we were humainly destined to help with the reconstruction of Europe, it would sow the seeds of reconcillation and not as how the US treated the South after the war between the States with martial law and the people having to root hog or die. This he said untill his death has been something of a bone of contention by all in the States, not just the South. He had a hard time with Congress doing it, but pushed hard enough to the American Public that it was done. And said his sister, their mother even rejoiced when Lincoln was shot because of the mistreatment placed on the Southern people. Those hard feelings still exsist today in the States by many.

Blog Entries

Been shelling a few peas the past week or so, finally enough for a mess. Got them on the stove right now, looks like a nice lunch in my future.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I think part of Truman's motive for Europe's reconstruction was that if we didn't do it, the USSR would. At least, I hope that was part of it. Because they would have, I'm completely certain. Stalin probably was pissed that Truman didn't fall for his Washington DC agents' propaganda. Army chief of staff George C. Marshall of "Marshall Plan" fame, said, "[FDR's top adviser Harry] Hopkins's job with the president was to represent the Russian interests. My job was to represent the American interests."

Blog Entries

What JPJW put in as "a side note" 20 months ago lives, I see.

Making the Germans pay after WW-I did NOT work, so after WW-II the conquered were divided at Malta and the two halves treated differently, until reunification, after the collapse of the Soviet economy.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Been shelling a few peas the past week or so, finally enough for a mess. Got them on the stove right now, looks like a nice lunch in my future.
    Buen apetito! Y buena fortuna! You live well, Mr. Cookshow.

While in Tennessee we'd eat black-eyed peas on New Year's eve for good luck, served with hot cornbread. I loved 'em. Yet I never ate any fresh, so I guess I haven't really lived right.

Looking in Wiki, I find, "The good luck traditions of eating black-eyed peas at Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, are recorded in the Babylonian Talmud (compiled circa 500 CE)." This Jewish New Year, 5774, begins soon, Sept. 4 after sundown, so it would appear, Mr. Cookshow, that you're on track to continue with good luck.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I think part of Truman's motive for Europe's reconstruction was that if we didn't do it, the USSR would. "
    He also needed a market to buy all the US output...

CookShow - The Nematodes bother the beans?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    He also needed a market to buy all the US output...

Nope, bulletproof. Okra too.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

But they bother the hell out of the local Sweet potatoes ( Batata)

Blog Entries

Another Question for Cookshoe... I have several hills of the Blackeyed peas planted for seeds. In one area the bugs eat the leaves to the stalk and not 50 feet from them in another hill, not even one is messed with...Do you have that problem?