Thread: 180 tourist visa rule

Active TRN Member

Default 180 tourist visa rule

I have heard from at least one usually reliable person that there is a law on the books which is not currently enforced that restricts tourists to a total of 180 days per year in Nicaragua.

I've asked three different migracion officials about it and all say they have never heard about it, and of course we all know lots of people who habitually stay in Nicaragua on tourism visas for longer than 180 days per year without being hassled. But these facts by themselves do not mean the law is not on the books.

I do know that a tourist can stay in Nicaragua for a 180-day period by obtaining a 90-day visa and renewing it for another 90-day period, at which point the law says he or she must leave the country for 72 hours before re-entering. Could it be that the person who told me about the 180-day-per-year rule is mixing it up with the 90+90=180 days rule?

Does anyone here have any factual data they can share rather than hearsay or rumours?
    Subscribe
    Last edited by Mikeh; 01-03-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 180 tourist visa rule

Subscribe to Nicaliving? Just messin' with ya, Mike. I don't know the answer.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Don't have any info about what you said.

Reason for posting is that it might be a "sleeping law" that might be enforced whenever needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post

Reason for posting is that it might be a "sleeping law" that might be enforced whenever needed.
    Such as, if they don't like the cut of your jib.

Blog Entries

Last I heard that is how many laws are enforced. Cops question you and if you don't pay they try to find some crime to charge you with.
    Survivor

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Such as, if they don't like the cut of your jib.
    Not sure what you mean.

What I ment is if Nica get too much of the long timers doing visaruns causing problems, they'll enforce the law and not renew the tourist visa when you have exceeded the maximum days.

Another reason might be if Nica wants to start taxing foreigners living in the country on a later stage (by actively enforcing the 180 day rule and taxing those that got a residency permit).

Quite smart really and something most countries (at least in europe) have done.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    Last I heard that is how many laws are enforced. Cops question you and if you don't pay they try to find some crime to charge you with.

"Tea money" - experienced that in Thailand a couple of times. Was used quite extensively by the police to extort foreigners especially on the work permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Subscribe to Nicaliving? Just messin' with ya, Mike. I don't know the answer.
    Message body

Hello marnica,

This automatic message is to notify you that your account on Nicaragua Living
    has been automatically disabled due to no activity for more than 1 year 6
    months.

Please visit us at http://www.nicaliving.com to have your account re-enabled.

Sincerely,
    Nicaragua Living team

I guess I have been put on notice. .........No it's much worse than that, I've been locked out!

Here in the real world they're shutting Detroit down.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnica View Post
    Message body

Hello marnica,

This automatic message is to notify you that your account on Nicaragua Living
    has been automatically disabled due to no activity for more than 1 year 6
    months.

Please visit us at http://www.nicaliving.com to have your account re-enabled.

Sincerely,
    Nicaragua Living team

I guess I have been put on notice. .........No it's much worse than that, I've been locked out!

And all your comments, etc are now the property of Fyldel. I was thru a friend able to erase all my photos, I did not want them perhaps misused.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    And all your comments, etc are now the property of Fyldel. I was thru a friend able to erase all my photos, I did not want them perhaps misused.

So you saved the snake?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Not sure what you mean.

What I ment is if Nica get too much of the long timers doing visaruns causing problems, they'll enforce the law and not renew the tourist visa when you have exceeded the maximum days.

Another reason might be if Nica wants to start taxing foreigners living in the country on a later stage (by actively enforcing the 180 day rule and taxing those that got a residency permit).

Quite smart really and something most countries (at least in europe) have done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPwBN_IKxs

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Mike, I've dealt extensively with Immigration over the years, run over more than a month on my "pass" and had to pay a penalty, been in and out of that office in Mga on too many occasions to count...never come across any kind of 180 day restriction. My first thought is, run it by Nadine. If she has to look it up for you at Immigration, you'll have to pay her time, por supuesto, as she's a busy woman. I would imagine that if the law is there at all, it's only there as a fall back for some ladron to use as a way to steal something from you...i.e. your land.
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    Mike, I've dealt extensively with Immigration over the years, run over more than a month on my "pass" and had to pay a penalty, been in and out of that office in Mga on too many occasions to count...never come across any kind of 180 day restriction. My first thought is, run it by Nadine. If she has to look it up for you at Immigration, you'll have to pay her time, por supuesto, as she's a busy woman. I would imagine that if the law is there at all, it's only there as a fall back for some ladron to use as a way to steal something from you...i.e. your land.
    Melissa, thanks for the tip about Nadine.

About ladrónes ... the Nicaraguans have a saying:

"Un ladrón que roba a un ladrón consigue cientos años de perdón."

A thief who robs a thief gets one hundred years of grace.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Melissa, thanks for the tip about Nadine.

About ladrónes ... the Nicaraguans have a saying:

"Un ladrón que roba a un ladrón consigue cientos años de perdón."

A thief who robs a thief gets one hundred years of grace.
    The 180 day thing might be in reference to the fact that you may extend your 90 visa by buying an additional 90 days without leaving the country (but you can only do this once without leaving). The additional 90 days can be bought in 30 day increments for C$500 each. I did this just two days ago. If you exceed your original 90 days before getting the extension the fine is C$50 per day.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

Dan, that is the way it was explained to me by a fellow I knew in Immigration. I wanted to be sure (as sure as you can be about anything here) before I moved down.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe