Thread: Message for U.S. Citizens

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Message for U.S. Citizens

Message body

Message for U.S. Citizens

Information on Medicare for U.S. Citizens Overseas

This message informs U.S. citizens about their Medicare benefits coverage while traveling or living overseas.

U.S. citizens currently receiving Medicare benefits, or eligible to receive them, should be aware that in nearly all circumstances their coverage does not extend outside of the U.S. Specific information on overseas coverage can be found through an official Medicare publication available at: http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/11037.pdf <http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/11037.pdf> . Nicaraguan hospitals and clinics cannot file Medicare claims and medical services provided in Nicaragua are not reimbursable by Medicare.

You should always protect your personal information. Guard your Medicare and Social Security numbers. Treat them like you would treat your credit cards. Be suspicious of anyone who offers you free medical equipment or services and then requests your personal information. If it's free, they do not need your number! Do not let anyone borrow or pay to use your Medicare ID card or your identity. It's illegal, and it's not worth it!

For more information please visit www.medicare.gov/Coverage/ <http://www.medicare.gov/Coverage/> or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

The U.S. Embassy in Managua is located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua. The U.S. Embassy in Managua can be reached 24/7 at 011-505-2252-7100. For emergencies (deaths, arrests, etc.) after hours, U.S. citizens can call this phone number and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer. The ACS unit is also available by email at ACS.Managua@state.gov <mailto:ACS.Managua@state.gov>

General information regarding consular services is available by calling 011-505-2252-7104. Routine services such as passports and notarial services require an appointment; you can schedule an appointment on-line https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/def...=MNG&appcode=1 <https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/def...=MNG&appcode=1> . In case of an emergency please call 2252-7100.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the U.S. Embassy's website <http://nicaragua.usembassy.gov> and the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs' website <http://www.travel.state.gov> , where the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information can be found. The U.S. Embassy also encourages U.S. citizens to review to "A Safe Trip Abroad <http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...fety_1747.html> ", which includes valuable security information for those both living and traveling abroad. In addition to information on the Internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Re: Message for U.S. Citizens

This, I would assume is a change in true expectations of hope?

Blog Entries

Interesting announcement in view of the fact that it would save money for Medicare if medical care was performed in Nicaragua.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

DSB, I don't think there's any change, it's always been this way.

Tom, you're right; medical care is one thing the US could certainly outsource to foreign providers for a hell of a lot less money. Throw in a plane ticket and hotel stay, and it's still a fraction of the cost of US hospitals. Of course, you get what you pay for. My wife's cousin is in for a re-do, after they reconnected his bowel and did it wrong, filling his gut with pus like JW. He will have to go in a third time to make sure the second stitching worked. Not that US medicine is perfect - malpractice kills and maims thousands every year.

Blog Entries

Yea, and they ain't no warrentee work on none of it anyway where ever ya go.

But I still got gas, now if I can figure a way to capture it and jar it up for some future use...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Yea, and they ain't no warrentee work on none of it anyway where ever ya go.

But I still got gas, now if I can figure a way to capture it and jar it up for some future use...
    Health care is one wild card that none of us knows how it will be played. All the crap about Obama care is just that political crap. As we as a nation get older, good things are not in our future. Somehow, someway, we need to contain the outlandish profits of the medical corporations and still provide superior care to our citizens, not an easy task.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Not me buddy...I do not have the energy.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Ah the quagmire of health care...

All models are broken (some more than others) and need overhaul badly..

Most models came into being when you died of "Old Age" and lived to the ripe old age of 60...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

There is a program called Under the knife Abroad by Vanguard that is interesting. There have been people getting cosmetic surgery abroad, sex change operations, dental work and now just surgical treatments they cannot afford or the insurance doesn't cover.

http://current.com/shows/vanguard/93...rd-trailer.htm
    Survivor

So, I find this discussion interesting because I subscribe to a couple of travel sites and recently one came up with an article about medical tourism (visiting a country to get a medical procedure). Nicaragua was not on the list, astonishingly (LCT has bent my ear about medical care there) -- but Costa Rica was on the list: http://w.budgettravel.com/feature/medical-tourismis-it-worth-it,8135/
    (see "International Savings Chart", right) which made me wonder, do any of y'all just head south for medical care?
    L'il Sis.

Blog Entries

My wife has scheduled dental work to coincide with our trips to Nicaragua for the purpose of using inexpensive services. We've taken advantage of such services, but haven't scheduled trips solely for medical purposes. I think if we didn't have insurance and needed something done, we'd do that. But with extreme caution; we recently lost a cousin to malpractice down there.

Blog Entries

I fully intend to have dental work done in Managua next month.

I have no dental insurance for the US and cannot tolerate the prices and practices.

My last dentist suggested a "deep" cleaning so I said OK. After being strapped into the chair the hygienist asked if I was advised of the price. I said no and he said $700. I said get me out of here.

I then went to the front office and scheduled a regular cleaning. The imperious bitch said "no". I said why. She said you need a deep cleaning. I said I do not want one. She said if we give you a regular cleaning, you could sue us. I said you are nuts and never went back. Same thing happened to Maria at the same dentist. Nothing but a rip off.
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 01-19-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I've never heard of a deep cleaning. What's the difference between that and a regular one? How deep can they go?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    How deep can they go?
    Right to your back pocket !!!!
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Right to the back of your eye socket !!!!
    Damn these reading glasses this is what I thought you said Bill... I gone have to get some new ones

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

I had to chuckle at the timing on this message. I've been trying to help my neighbor, who is a dual citizen of the US and Nicaragua, cancel her Medicare coverage. The US gov won't hesitate to tell you that you're not covered down here, but will they cancel your coverage and stop stealing your money if you live here...H*LL NO!

My neighbor lives on limited funds and needs to not have money taken from her SS checks, but it's been several months that we've been addressing this issue, many phone calls made, and even a wrong form sent down from the States. It's like they're doing everything they can to delay the process to keep as much of this elderly woman's $$ as possible. This is exactly the kind of crap that makes me hate government!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Blog Entries

I can't chuckle at Cat's story. The hugely cumbersome and indefference of the US Governement is something to be ashamed of.

I was offered that deep cleaning that Tom talks about a few years ago. I had awesome insurance, (my first exwife is a union employee) yet my insurance didn't cover it. I mean if it is so necessary that you could sue the dentist why doesn't the insurance cover it? It is not supposed to be cosmetic, and they claim it is medically necessary. So anyway, I said that I would not pay the extra for the cleaning. I was pressured by the hygenist, she pleaded with me for my sake, but I said no. I got the work I had planned to get done and left. I passed another examination room on my way out and heard the same hygenist giving the same song and dance to another patient. I just chalked it down as the latest racket being used on us sheep. Oh yeah, I was advised to get this deep cleaning in 2007 and I have not experienced any of the ill effects that the hygenist threatened.
    Survivor

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

I really detest dentists!!! When I moved from Canada to the USA, the fun with Insurance began! I called a local dentist and asked if they accepted Delta Dental, they did!! Sweet! So I went there got an initial check up. They said I had a few cavities, etc etc was going to cost a lot!! Showed my wife the bill and she was like, holy moly thats high!! I soon learned that yes most dentists will accept ur insurancel, BUT one has to make sure they are WITHIN NETWORK!!!

So I went to my wifes dentist who we "thought" was within network! I even explained to him why I left thew other dentist as they were not within network! He did the initial check up on me and stated I needed this and that and this and that! But he wouldn't tell me what my insurance covered! Which I thought was strange! So I called up our insurance company and yep, guess what, he was not within network, and he knew it!!! He wanted over $4000, and my within network dentist it was under $1000

Made sure I did better research and found a great dentist that was in network!! Good times!!

Medical tourism is big $$$$ Many goto India for procedures! You do a lot of the testing in ur home country and get forwarded to India, then go for a holiday and have the procedure. LASIK is very big in Columbia.

Blog Entries

I looked into the medicare outside the US about 2 years ago and the policy was the same. If you get insurance through a company intstead of Medicare, an option that is available in many places in the US, that insurance may pay for international medical bills. This is called Medicare Part C. Almost all of the regular insurance companies have their noses in this and your choices increase with population density. You would have to have maintained a US address to receive this benefit.
    It's all part of the adventure!!