Thread: Beef soup

Default Beef soup

A traditional Nicaraguan soup is called 'sopa de res' and is made with beef, bones and quite a few other ingredients. I met a family who was making sopa de res today cause his boss had given him a cow's head. Anyways, here's the recipe for beef soup, Nica style (in Spanish, so you can find the stuff):

Una sopa tradicional de Nicaragua es 'sopa de res', hecho de carne de res, huesos y bastantes otros ingredientes. Conocí a una familia que tenía pensado hacer la sopa ya que su patrón le había regalado una cabeza de vaca. Ahí te va la receta....

4 Lbs de carne de res o huezo con carne (a cow's head will do - una cabeza basta)
    Culantro
    Una yuca entera, grande
    Dos quequisques
    Dos plátanos verdes
    Un plátano maduro
    Medio ayote mediano
    Dos chayotes
    Cebolla
    Sal
    Un repollo
    Dos o tres elotes

http://www.nicatourism.com/2011/12/s...beef-soup.html

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beef soup

Like I said in another thread, I need to add a smilie for drooling.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ya know when I first came South of the Border, I had a hard time with Culanthro and Spearment in some of the foods.

But now I have acclimitized to it and actually like it. Once in a great while my wife will be making something and I ask did you put in some Culanthro or the Mint in it and she will either raise sand and say it doesn't go in this dish, or say yes John, I put plenty in it for you.

Arroz aguado (Chicken and Rice) Culanthro and whole tomatoes go extreamily well in it, we have even thrown in Okra in the beef rundown and what ever other soup like dish, Makes some fine eatin'
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Something about culantro repells me for some reason. My wife made chicken with a bunch of herbs, sour orange marinade, and mint and other stuff. The culantro came through and I could feel it in my ol' factory. There's another herb that tastes similar that I can't stand; can't think of the name. It's a long, broad leaf.

But that's ok, I love most herbs. I have my own rosemary plant and my wife doesn't like rosemary.

Blog Entries

I thought you guys were mispelling cilantro and had to look it up. I love cilantro and use it when I make my salsas.

here is what google gave me on first try:
    Question: What is culantro? Is it the same as cilantro?
    Culantro is not an alternate spelling of cilantro.
    Answer: Culantro is a completely different plant from cilantro. Although the two are cousins, they look nothing alike and are quite easy to differentiate by appearance.

Culantro, Eryngium foetidum, has long, serrated leaves and sports a blue flower when permitted to bolt. It is the leaves of culantro that are popular in Caribbean and Asian dishes.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Randude, that's the one I don't like. But remember in Nicaragua, they rename everything so my wife said it was something else, not "the one you don't like." even though it tasted the same. I don't even try to follow it.

Culantro and Cilantro look completely differnt but taste and smell the same. Im fine with a bit in food, but to much and the smell reminds me of stink bugs.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I like Cilantro

Nigellea likes Cilantro

(Nigellea's show is carried on Fox life on Claro cable)
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Touche'
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

My first wife nearly starved me to death with that Adale Davis vitiman supplements and Rose Hips and all them bottles of pills that cost an arm and a leg and never filled ya up like a good 'ole stew of some nature.

That old hole didn't make it past 45....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Cilantro is an important ingredient for salsa, but it needs to be used correctly. If you like salsa you like cilantro. When I make two pounds of salsa I take the tops off of a bunch that I buy fresh in the grocery store and throw the rest away. A bunch is about as much as I can grab with my hand. I just cut off the tops of that bunch. It is too overpowering otherwise. I make sure that I chop it up pretty small.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I'm a Nigella guy.

Blog Entries

Cilantro and Culantro are both widely grown in Nicaragua, I have both growing here. Randude try asking at an Asian or Latin market, you might find some. The taste is almost identical, it would take a pretty fancy taster to know the difference. Culantro grows wild here, Cilantro is a bit trickier. Kwah recently brought over some Culantro, it is growing great, a few days later I found a huge area of it growing wild.

Lots of people don't like it, I love it and will make salad dressing with it and also add in salad, some culantro in a pot of rice is nice.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yea, I think it is some type of a weed, at least I classify it as such. It grows wild all over my yard. I like fresh cut grass, the smell of it anyway.

And when I hit a patch of it with the machine, I mean to tell Ya it has such a strong smell in the air, Well I like that as well.

Only thing is if ya walk thru a patch of it in ya shorts and flip Flops it is kinda stickery and has little brissles of thorns on it. When we pick it for consumption we get those tender leaves and not the older bigger ones to use.

I have cultivated a taste for it and have grown to like it a lot. But it is a strong flavor it don't take a lot of it to do the job.

Johns wife made a awsome chicken soup with some type of dumplin. I believe one of the main flavors was herbo bueno (i think that was a reference to spearmint). Hey john i would not mind having that recipe yum yum. As for the sopa de res my wife loves it when i can get fresh beef bones, which is when my neighbor slaughters his cattle. I take the bones and slather them up with tomato paste and roast them first, then put them in a pot and stArt my soup. My wife loves to eat the marrow out Of the bones which i have to get them to the pot before she gets to my bones (sorry couldnt help it

Blog Entries

Here is a pic from this morning, culantro/cilantro side by side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Thanks Kevin

In your photo the plant on the left looks like Cilantro and the plant on the right looks like Dandelion with Cilantro growing out of it.

Parsley looks a lot like Cilantro but has a very different taste. I have to make very sure I look hard and read the label when I buy cilantro to make sure it is not parsley. Some markets put them right next to each other and that just makes no sense to me.

I make an amazingly popular salsa that has fake crab meat in it. I have used real crab meat and that ruined it.

a pound of fake crab meat
    a pound of cream cheese
    a couple tomatoes
    a couple small cans of sliced black olives
    a couple jalapeno peppers
    the tops of a bunch of cilantro
    (the recipe that I got from some Mexicans called for onion and bell peppers but I leave those out).

I boil the jalapenos until they are soft. I take the seeds out of the peppers so they are not too hot for my friends
    cut the tops off the bunch cilantro and dice it up very small
    Dice tomatoes
    Mix all the ingredients by hand. It is like kneading bread

It can be eaten right away, but gets better when it sits for awhile to mingle the flavors.

I have taken this to potlucks and parties all over and everyone ask me how to make it.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

It is called Sopa de Abondigo and it is nice... Corn meal balls with the breast meat chopped up in it with the spearmint and the legs and thighs whole in the soup with other goodies including those little corn cobs.

They enough corn in the whole soup to make a "Hog" outta me...

Blog Entries

Albondigas are dumplings (Nica style, heartier and heavier). Mm-mm good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Albondigas are dumplings (Nica style, heartier and heavier). Mm-mm good!
    Google Translate = Chicken and Dumplings = Albondigas

Google Translate = Opossum = Iguana (same sh*t eaters)

Blog Entries

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    It is called Sopa de Abondigo and it is nice... Corn meal balls with the breast meat chopped up in it with the spearmint and the legs and thighs whole in the soup with other goodies including those little corn cobs.

They enough corn in the whole soup to make a "Hog" outta me...
    Is that corn meal or masa. I dont remember seeing corn meal in port.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by travelling man View Post
    Is that corn meal or masa. I dont remember seeing corn meal in port.
    To my knowolage... Same thing.