Thread: Granada Hotels and Restaurants and Favorite Local Activities 2012

Default Granada Hotels and Restaurants and Favorite Local Activities 2012

I'll be in Granada in mid-February with my husband for a few days. I checked the earlier thread about Granada hotels and restaurants and it was old and short. I pledge to give a report on Our Trip to Granada. Big Brother will nag me ceaselessly until I do. So.... any advice? We like quaint, comfy, quiet, and reasonable. Real quiet, but central/safe preferred. Spouse probably needs AC. Favorite activities in the area?

[Help me keep thinking about this trip. 12 inches of snow fell today and it will keep snowing for the next week.... ]

Blog Entries

Default Re: Granada Hotels and Restaurants and Favorite Local Activities 2012

Mombacho canopy tours
    Boat tour of Las Isletas
    People watching on the Plaza

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Masaya Volcano about 40KM away (relatively, short active)
    Mumbatcho Volcano about 5 km away (Very high, dormant) It dominates the skyline of Granada
    Apoyo Lagoon About 15km away - Cool, quiet, relaxing day on a lagoon restaurants and some sort of Nature reserve (avoid it !! )
    Catarina - Overlook of Lagoon with one hell of a botanical collection from local vendors.. If you like plants there is a good 1/2 day of things to see in pots here.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Thanks for the ideas on activities - we were at Jinotepe in 2010 with LCT (the time the BIL infamously dragged him around the Masaya market) and visited some of those places. The spouse wants to return to Masaya (natch) and I'd like to go screaming through the canopy at Mombacho (typical, predictable, tourist). I got some private advice about hotels. Now, anyone up for dinner on my deck?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Snow cones for dessert?

Blog Entries

From what I hear Seattle was pretty much shut down and there were massive power outtages due to the snow storm. Probably the same one that decorated your deck. Lots of news stories about it. http://www.kirotv.com/news/weather/s...ed-next/nGWCd/

I have to just read about it or talk to my people, as I am a couple hundred miles south of all that fun.
    Survivor

Post Re: Granada Hotels and Restaurants and Favorite Local Activities 2012

Here's some favorites for you to consider.

Hands down, best hotel (for value, location, and people):

Hotel Casa San Francisco http://hotelcasasanfrancisco.com/

Breakfast and people watching at Kathy's Waffle House http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e-Granada.html

Lunch at the Garden Cafe http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e-Granada.html

Dinner at El Zaguan (best restaurant in Granada) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...n-Granada.html

Pizza at Mona Lissa (their spelling, not mine -- best pizza in NicaLandia) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...a-Granada.html

Gelato at Euro Cafe http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...e-Granada.html

Agree with all the activities listed above. Would also include a visit to the Convent San Francisco (across from Kathy's) -- some good examples of pre-Columbian statuary and other indigenous artifacts.
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by off2paradise View Post
    Dinner at El Zaguan (best restaurant in Granada) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...n-Granada.html
    +1 on El Zaguan. Have eaten there each of the past three trips to Nicaragua, and have yet to get a bad meal.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Hey, thanks for the tips! I'm making a list -

Seattle got snowed & glazed I hear, really bad news. That picture of our deck was premature; it got 6 more inches on top of that. Getting to know the neighbors again while we're all out shoveling. S'posed to start snowing again on Sunday for the rest of the week. We don't leave for a couple weeks, hope the snow lets up enough so the plane can get through -

Blog Entries

We like the Colonia Hotel. Literally steps from the main square but quieter. Nice rooms, two pools. I'll third Zaguans for food. Catarina is worth the trip. Masaya volcano may give you something to do while the wife is shopping.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

My husband is actually more interested in the Masaya shopping trip -- he's interested in wood carving & indigenous handcrafts in general - and I like them too - we enjoyed the mercado last time - (LCT did not; apparently it was the Bataan death march until he was settled down with a beer and book). And then we joined him for a beer too and a charming young man showed up and made little animales out of palm leaves ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    We like the Colonia Hotel. Literally steps from the main square but quieter. Nice rooms, two pools. I'll third Zaguans for food. Catarina is worth the trip. Masaya volcano may give you something to do while the wife is shopping.
    Dolly..... do you ever have that backwards.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Little Sister View Post
    My husband is actually more interested in the Masaya shopping trip -- he's interested in wood carving & indigenous handcrafts in general - and I like them too - we enjoyed the mercado last time - (LCT did not; apparently it was the Bataan death march until he was settled down with a beer and book). And then we joined him for a beer too and a charming young man showed up and made little animales out of palm leaves ...
    Have a plate of Baho just as you enter the front entrence across from the taxi area..... Made by Baho wilma .Best baho around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Have a plate of Baho just as you enter the front entrence across from the taxi area..... Made by Baho wilma .Best baho around.
    What is baho?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    What is baho?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

PS: Don't eat the Letchuga part....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

OK, I dropped off the map for awhile -- catching up -- the baho looking interesting; I see meat, I see yuca? -- is it beef? something on four legs. what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Little Sister View Post
    OK, I dropped off the map for awhile -- catching up -- the baho looking interesting; I see meat, I see yuca? -- is it beef? something on four legs. what else?
    It has beef (Brisket), Yucca, Plantain and Sweet plantain (Maduro). It is all placed in a large pot wrapped in plantain leaves and steamed to perfection. Then served and topped with ensalada (Cabbage, tomatoes and onions). Enjoy it!!!