Thread: Is Claro messin with my internet service? Possibly blocking some sites?

Blog Entries

Default Is Claro messin with my internet service? Possibly blocking some sites?

I have the Claro dongle for my laptop. I made a woktenna that channels the signal, and so far, my signal is strong. Last December, I tried to access my Wordpress blog. It just kept trying to load forever. In fact, I was unable to load any Wordpress website. The only way I could access my blog was to get a free IP address from the states. I could temporarily access my blog, just long enough to post that I was having trouble accessing my blog. The format was all messed up, with lots of ads. So, I bought a VPN, which gives me an IP address from anywhere in the world. I chose Miami. Now, it looks like my computer address is from the states and I can access everything. Even Hulu and Pandora, which is blocked from Nicaragua.

My question is: Is anyone having problems accessing websites using a Claro dongle? I'm thinking they blocked websites with large bandwidth. Friends who have cable internet don't seem to have any problem accessing my blog, but others who have a dongle can't access my blog. Strange!

My problem is solved, and now I can access everything. If you would like a referral for a VPN, please contact me. I get a $15 credit for each person who buys a VPN with a referral from me. I've had 4 friends in Nicaragua request VPNs, and now they can access everything. Even if you have cable internet, with an IP address from the states, you can stream movies from Hulu and stream music from Pandora. My dongle is too slow for that, but I'm checking into a satellite tower that will be stronger so I can stream movies and TV shows from Hulu.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Claro messin with my internet service? Possibly blocking some sites?

That happens with me when the station or what ever it is is on what I see as EDGE and it blinks green and not blue, still a strong signal but that channel is to slow to use. The blinking Blue is the one ya need.

What I did to cure it is log out and then delete the CLARO from the computer altogether. Went to security settings for the internet and reset everything back to default in the advanced section of it. restart the computer for it to take effect, and re insert the CLARO thing for a new installation and then it comes up UDTS or something and when in homes in I connect and it changes to HDASBP or something like that. Takes me all of 5 minutes to do it all over again.

WTH it works for me Might be something in the computer causing the devlish thing to switch to the slower channel but I am to lazy and unskilled to look for it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Claro messin with my internet service? Possibly blocking some sites?

Oh and I do a Defrag at that time as well that takes more time than anything.

To be honest I blame it on the crap I get off FB
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Wordpress appears to be blocking at least Nicaraguan IP addresses. I'm collecting information on this for someone connected to Wikipedia -- if anyone has a different way to connect with the internet than a Claro 3G modem, please try http://www.wordpress.com and see if you time out (server not responding is the error message). I can't access that from my Claro 3G modem's connection at any time.

I used to be able to access WordPress sites, but hasn't been able to for the last three months or so. The Wikipedia entry says that they have instituted anti-spam measures. I added that one of them seems to be blocking Nicaraguan IP addresses.

My Wikipedia friend wants more examples, counter examples.

A bit later after some testing:

Your site works.

Looks like WordPress may have fixed this generally -- I don't think it was a Claro issue. I bitched out it on WordPress's Wikipedia article and it appears to be fixed now. I had at least a month of not being able to access any WordPress site and couldn't reach one of them this morning.

Blog Entries

I just clicked on your link... Went right to it faster than I get TRN..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I just clicked on your link... Went right to it faster than I get TRN..
    Wasn't working at all recently (I get RSS feeds for several WordPress.com blogs. It started working again after this morning). I don't really think that either Claro or the Nicaraguan government were blocking it -- I get a lot of blocked sites with explanations that my IP (dynamically assigned) is blocked because it's associated with spamming. I had tried at various times of the day and with various signal strengths (3G modem) and posted a comment on WordPress.com's Wikipedia site.

LiveJournal blocked IPs from here for a while, but they explained why they were doing it (major Denial of Service attacks). This was simply servers not replying, including the main server as of maybe yesterday. A major guy at Wikipedia sent a headsup to someone who might have been connected to WordPress -- that was maybe two days ago, and the block went down sometime between maybe 8 a.m. and when I checked after I posted the first time.

Claro allows me to connect with Pirate Bay (except for the actual downloads, but that block is probably the Swedish government, not Nicaragua's). Made no sense for them to ban all of WordPress, but given the infected machines apparently in Managua, the other way around seems more likely.

I had some similar issues trying to book flights with La Costena. My local internet provider started blocking Nicaragua out bound traffic at some unknown time between trips. I had always had great responses back from La Costena and suddenly no one would e-mail me back. Finally I just sent an e-mail with my work, local, and Gmail addresses attached and asked them to reply to all. Only the Gmail came back.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses everyone. It is so weird. Yesterday I logged into Wordpress without using my VPN IP address from Miami and had no problems. Maybe a server was down for several months? I'm still glad I bought a VPN, though. My IP address can change at my whim. It is kinda nice not to be identified as from Nicaragua all the time. And I swear my speed is faster, although I don't understand how that would be possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytoes View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It is so weird. Yesterday I logged into Wordpress without using my VPN IP address from Miami and had no problems. Maybe a server was down for several months? I'm still glad I bought a VPN, though. My IP address can change at my whim. It is kinda nice not to be identified as from Nicaragua all the time. And I swear my speed is faster, although I don't understand how that would be possible.
    Alright you have opened another can of worms I am interested in anyway, and perhaps a few others.

Can you tell us or give links to this here VPN of which you speak?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytoes View Post
    The guy I talked to did a heads up via Google+ to a programmer for WordPress. It was fixed in a day or two after that, so I suspect a word was dropped in the right place. My friend (Wikipedia coordinator) wanted more examples, which yours would have been, and some tests from other Nicaraguan IP addresses, which I didn't get around to doing before the problem was solved.

I subscribe to a log of blogs with RSS and go to the originating blog if the RSS feed is abbreviated (as many are). Only WordPress and all of WordPress, including the main site, were blocked.

Earthlink blocks Nicaraguan mail to its users, which included my publisher. The publisher and editor were able to whitelist me and my email seems to get to them without problems now, but if anyone has had friends with Earthlink addresses go missing, see if they have alternative addresses. Earthlink appears to allow whitelisting by email address, not IP numbers.

I seriously doubt that the main commercial WordPress.com server would have been down for several months. I was also blocked by LiveJournal during a DOS attack on that site but they let me know what was happening at the time, and I could mail them to let them know that my machine wasn't infected. WordPress.com also was attacked and blocking Asian or Latin American IP addresses that are dynamically assigned is often how they block attacks.

The reality is that lots of Windows machines do get infected with bots and can be used to send spam remotely, and also lots of Nicaraguans download (I tested my current IP address against a download detection site and was amazed since none of the downloads it gave me were anything I'd downloaded, but other people had been quite busy when that IP address had been assigned to other machines.

I used to be an ISP technician and ran private mail and internet servers as a hobby. I also blocked Asia and Latin America from my hobby servers, so I kinda sympathize. Nothing really weird about it at all -- they set the servers not to respond to blocks of IP addresses. If they sent error messages, as Live Journal did, they'd have to have personnel dealing with individual whitelisting, which can't really work with dynamically assigned IP addresses that aren't associated with an email address. They probably had lists of blocks that were used by various systems that dynamically assign IP -- 3G modems being one of them (we all seem to be in Managua). Some companies will use one range for 3G, another range for static IP addresses, and another range for dynamically assigned DSL or cable, so people filtering can fine tune their filters better than simply blocking the whole country (static IP addresses are usually businesses).

VPNs are one way around the blocks.

Blog Entries

I got a post card today.

A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit alleging that ATT failed to deliver DSL Service to its customers at the speeds promised. ATT strongly denies these allegations but has agreed to settle to avoid further litigation. You are included in the Settlement because you purchased DSL Service from ATT after March 31, 1994.

I could get two bucks for each month my speed was slower than promised. The website they provided has a simple for to fill out, and I put in the dates we had the service as best I can remember. Probably see a check in two or three years.

Jonh, funny you should mention this. A couple of months ago, I actually received a check from AT&T for $00.17 as my "share" of that settlement. Yup, 17 cents.

Blog Entries

A very good friends daughter gave up her class action claim against Honda regarding her civic hybrid. She was gonna get $200 and the lawyer was gonna get $8,000,000. Yes..you read that right.

Now she was awarded almost $10,000 in small claims court.

Honda is shitting themselves and their law team has 30 lawyers on it.

You go girl!

http://news.yahoo.com/feel-cheated-s...213340391.html
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

I don't know what happened but it has been almost two weeks since I have been able to access TRN from here in Panama. I did not have any problem going to several other Nicaragua sites. My other internet access has been fine too. I initially blamed LCT but several other members assured me that LCT wasn't that smart
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Blog Entries

This problem has been discussed with several other members and our only conclusion is "F*ck you and what ever you rode in on"
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    This problem has been discussed with several other members and our only conclusion is "F*ck you and what ever you rode in on"
    Maybe a touch on the sensitive side

Blog Entries

I poked a snake with a twig once. It took a swipe and almost bit me. It didn't occur to me to complain that the snake was over sensitive, I only felt like a dumbass for poking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I poked a snake with a twig once. It took a swipe and almost bit me. It didn't occur to me to complain that the snake was over sensitive, I only felt like a dumbass for poking it.
    Good one