Thread: False Bluff Updates

Blog Entries

Default False Bluff Updates

Ann has updated her activities at her homestead at False Bluff on the DAC.

She has lots of pictures of her accomplishments and is a good read as well.

Start at the bottom of the page and work up for chronological order.

http://falsebluff.blogspot.com/
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN Member

Default Re: False Bluff Updates

Tom

Thanks for paving the way for theturtle update with your post. The building and planting at FalseBluff continue to be a source of wonder but the recent sea turtle hatch justabout tops it all.

The 'Sea turtle rescue' post to theFalse Bluff blog (September, 2011) told of the beautiful but exhaustedturtle that washed ashore wrapped in a melange of crap: fishingline, rope, wire. Some of the people who were working there at thetime pulled it, all ensnared, upside down onto a pile of coconutsthat had been set aside for sprouting...and then came to get me,excited about all free food that had just arrived.

I'd long had the idea of establishing aturtle sanctuary at False Bluff...I just figured I was going to haveto find some way to bring turtles to the sanctuary. So even havingthat turtle in distress wash up on the beach was a hopeful sign and Itook the opportunity right then to tell the people who were there - full time and part time employees, and a horde of visitors - that anybody connected to False Bluff would do whatever we could to protect any sea turtle that came ontothe property...and why. On the face of it, they took itgracefully though I know they thought I was crazy...probablystill do.

And then late during my most recent visit aturtle came ashore at almost the same place the rescue tookplace and, apparently, laid eggs. She came right up under the fence near the outdoor kitchen. None of us saw her, but thatshe'd been there was pretty obvious from the distinct tracks she leftbehind.

So imagine my surprise and delight toget the pictures that showed remains of a hatch (the blog post on Valentine's day). One of my employees and a visitor oversaw thehatch and ushered the babies safely to sea. My employee's phonewasn't working so he got no pictures of the hatch, but the visitordid...and I'm hoping to eventually have access to these. I'm toldthe rough count of babies was near 200. That would be a huge hatch,but it might just mean 'a bunch of babies' and saying 200 is like saying'40 days and 40 nights' which simply means 'a long time.'

Great work Ann, I enjoyed reading your blog, I'd love to see the other coast of Nica. I was lucky enough to see a turtle laying eggs a few years back in la flor on the pacific coast and I am happy to see that turtles are laying on your coast.....

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

If anyone has not looked for a while there has been a lot of work going on this first half of the year... Stumbled upon the blog again after diving into the bookmarks for some other link..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Thanks Bill...I needed that kick to check in on Anns site.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Nice pics!

Blog Entries

Nice blog Ann. Great pictures and an interesting read. I'm still here on Big Corn. Come back and visit again.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    If anyone has not looked for a while there has been a lot of work going on this first half of the year... Stumbled upon the blog again after diving into the bookmarks for some other link..
    I'm glad you stumbled on the blog again. I try to post weekly with more pictures than text. The whole False Bluff project continues to be quite a trip.

TRN Member

Default False Bluff Updates, 2013: ELECTRICITY

A pretty amazing thing's happening on my part of the Caribbean Coast...we're getting electricity. Way I understand it is that power lines are coming cross country from Managua to Kukra Hill. They're then running south to El Bluff and across the bay to Bluefields. Not a whole lot of coast will benefit from this project, but the power lines run right through False Bluff on their way from Kukra to El Bluff. Poles are delivered via the Caribbean, but work crews have been coming in from the back side. ENEL chopping crews accessed part of their work area using the creek and dock which is where the pictures in this blog post came from. And believe it or not commuting was a problem causing the pole and line crews work time. They were using the creek and dock, but coming and going during daylight hours were costly so right now they're camped at False Bluff while taking the process a step further. ENEL is conscious of property owners' wishes not to have poles and lines cluttering up the beach and views, so all the installation's taking place hundreds of meters away from the sea, pretty much running through 'swampy' spots.

http://falsebluff.blogspot.com/2013/...tions-and.html

Blog Entries

Default Re: False Bluff Updates, 2013: ELECTRICITY

I am so jealous of ya'll. Port is about to or has gone online, now the rest of the Coast. The Islands will be the only ones dependent on fuel ships for our Electric. This side of the Country has always been the "Step-child" so I doubt this will be good for us.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: False Bluff Updates, 2013: ELECTRICITY

Still lacks about 10 months for Port if I am to believe what I am told, but they (ENEL) are upgrading the distribution lines and wires all over town at present.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...