Thread: Hydroponic supplies

Active TRN Member

Default Hydroponic supplies

We are going to be doing small-scale hydroponics experiments with berries and would like to get our hands on some small quantities of commercial hydroponic liquid nutrient concentrates or powders (we plan to compare results against a tea brewed from worm casings). Any ideas about where we could find this in Nicaragua?

If not, I will have to have it sent to me from up north. Should I expect the usual enormous bullshit from Customs and the post office, or am I worrying over nothing?

My good friend Roger is trying hydroponics but he is not using concentrates developed specially for hydroponics, and as for the results, well you had better ask him.

A company called Ball is planning a big hydroponic operation in Esteli but they are not up and running yet and so of no use to us.

At first we will be using a very simple system that we can make locally, but if anyone has any hydroponic equipment they would like to get rid of, please send me a PM.

By the way, if you are interested in running some hydroponic experiments yourself, please contact me. It would be very productive to start a network of people doing different field trials in different parts of Nicaragua.

Please do not use this thread to discuss aquaponics or aeroponics because that is beyond the scope of what we are trying to do.

Default Re: Hydroponic supplies

What are you using to hold the roots rockwell cubes, ceramic rocks or ? Back in the day we used some cheap plastic gutters from home depot, a pump, some hose and a timer. We used some liquid nutrients for growing and flowering.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richit View Post
    What are you using to hold the roots rockwell cubes, ceramic rocks or ? Back in the day we used some cheap plastic gutters from home depot, a pump, some hose and a timer. We used some liquid nutrients for growing and flowering.
    The growing medium will be pumice in clay pots.

Blog Entries

When it comes to growing you can do too much.

When you grow in hydroponics you have taken something very simple and complicated it.

When you grow in hydroponics you are completely responsible for everything the plants needs minus light and oxygen.

I think it is a bad idea, but many people are successful with it and swear by it.

Soil acts as a forgiving buffer for a plant, whereas rock and nutrients can be very cruel. You are not allowed a lot of mistakes.

When I have seen side by side grows from soil and hydroponics I have not convinced that there is anything gained to warrant the extra trouble.

I could go on and on and there are tons of people that rave on about how much they are in favor in it. I am just one person with one opinion.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    When it comes to growing you can do too much.

When you grow in hydroponics you have taken something very simple and complicated it.

When you grow in hydroponics you are completely responsible for everything the plants needs minus light and oxygen.

I think it is a bad idea, but many people are successful with it and swear by it.

Soil acts as a forgiving buffer for a plant, whereas rock and nutrients can be very cruel. You are not allowed a lot of mistakes.

When I have seen side by side grows from soil and hydroponics I have not convinced that there is anything gained to warrant the extra trouble.

I could go on and on and there are tons of people that rave on about how much they are in favor in it. I am just one person with one opinion.
    My thought was, with the rich soil of Nicaragua, why would you need hydroponics? But I don't want to discourage Mike, either.

I also wondered if it was Roger Karlsen he was referring to?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

There is also a lot of soil born fungus, insects and pathogens that pop up with out warning.

IF you can keep the water pure of these problems then you only have to address the visible issues at the leaves (Fungus and insects)

Also if Mother nature decides to piss on your Cauliflower for 6 weeks straight well that it.. You must accept it. HydroP you can control the water.

You can detect the start of Fungus and other pathogens at the root with enough attention to detail of the bit of the plant above ground but is it a very tricky science to learn (e.g. Decades)

My dad and sister can spot an infected plant long before I can. But to qualify that I would only become suspicious once the last leaf fell
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Soil Born diseases here are as numerous as Holidays. Controlling the growing medium, hydro or not is important, some of these diseases cannot be removed from the soil.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Fungus, weed seeds and other pests.

At my Dad's we used something similar to this for the seedlings soil..

There was a Plywood cover for the top and 1x8 by 4' boards slid in the bottom...

1 cu yard in by shovel in the top , Cook for 4 hours (to 220F) , pull out the bottom boards and send the soil to the seedling bench, Refill, repeat..

The kicker was the 5KW of juice it pulls... There were heating elements inside the box that brought the soil to temp.

It killed everything Bad in the soil while keeping the good.

I have real fond memories of the "Cooked" soil smell as the steamer was emptied...

You could make one functional in Nica with boiled water (In tubes that snake through the soil pile) heated from fire wood but it would take time and would have to beat the wolves away from the copper pipe.. You could use cast pipe but the heat transfer would suck..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

"Solarizing" the soil is as simple as some black plastic tarp, the sun here will save you the 5kw.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    "Solarizing" the soil is as simple as some black plastic tarp, the sun here will save you the 5kw.
    II have used the Black Plastic treatment for unwanted grasses and weeds...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I have to admit that Bill and Kevin are right about deseases. For that reason I have always felt you need to grow things that are naturally resistant. That is why plants grown in one location will fail in another. in fact that is the number one reason. So if you are growing something that is not natually resistant from years of natural selection then hydro is the way to go.
    Survivor

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I have to admit that Bill and Kevin are right about deseases. For that reason I have always felt you need to grow things that are naturally resistant. That is why plants grown in one location will fail in another. in fact that is the number one reason. So if you are growing something that is not natually resistant from years of natural selection then hydro is the way to go.
    Yes, that's the main reason.

Also, there are some hydro designs that are very cheap and simple that enable you to cool down the plants, which means you can take a shot at growing plants that can't quite tolerate the heat here in Carazo.

Also, where I live the dry season is very long and irrigation is expensive. But a hydro system that recirculates the nutrient solution means you're not using very much water.

By the way, someone here mentioned "the rich soil of Nicaragua." In fact, in many parts of the country farmland has been badly played out because of irresponsible farming practices and deforestation.