Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another First.

Blog Entries

Default Another First.

A few days ago I ate my first "homegrown" egg.

I got my 2 hens and 1 rooster back in late January, had them brought from the Mainland, they are a larger variety than most of the ones you see on the Island. Built them a little shed to roost in, thought maybe the hens would lay in there but they haven't, no big deal, I am more concerned about building a flock than egg production, these are true "free range" chickens.

Knew they were laying/setting somewhere as one of the hens would dissapear for long periods of time, one day she was just back on the porch all day, guess something (possum or dog probably) got her eggs. Several days later I see them going into a little "cave" they built in a brush pile, when they cleared out I went to investigate, 17 eggs, both hens are laying in there. Boy I wanted an egg, but no idea how long they been in there, what to do, what to do. I took a marker and marked all the eggs in the cave. Next day after they cleared out I collected the 2 unmarked eggs.

Neighbor was pulling hot Coco(nut) Bread from his oven, bought a loaf and made me a fried egg sandwich, it was sublime.

The hens are each laying 1 egg a day, which is amazing considering the heat. I am feeding them corn and they have the farm to forage on, they seem very happy. 4:30am and the rooster has been going strong for over an hour. Eggs are selling for 4-5 cords each here, corn is 7 cords a #, I am feeding the 3 about half pound of corn a day. I have left the 17 eggs in the cave to see if they can hatch them, and every day I go out and get my 2 egg dividend.

I don't eat that many eggs, but I can always find a use for them, for now 2 a day is plenty. The eggs we get here are usually pretty sad, after transport, and storage in the heat they are only good for baking, the yolks break when you break the egg, with fresh eggs the yolk will stand up strong, perfect for a fried egg. Can't wait to make some deviled eggs with these beautiful eggs.

The eggs these hens lay are the bluish hued ones, just in time for Easter.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Another First.

...so you'd have to sell 5 eggs a day to break even. Should be doable.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Did the marked eggs hatch?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

2 egg a day x 4 cord = 8 cord - .5# corn at 4 cord = 4 cord profit, I am getting rich already.

Haven't hatched yet, I really have no idea how long they have been in there, that is why I marked them and just left them, will pull out all the new eggs daily, just wait and see what happens with the other 17 marked eggs.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Where do you get the corn?

Chicken must be some strain of Aracauna.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

The corn is shipped from the main in 100# sacks, neighbor buys it by the sack and I just buy from her.
    Ernie K Doe

Are you looking to get more chicks?(you have a rooster) or are you just in it to get eggs to eat? Should be able to see embryo through the egg if held up to a bright light? . My brother has 8 chickens(no roosters) up here where I live on Long Island, NY. My Mother in law says they Taste like Nicaragua Eggs. All the bugs and stuff they eat make them taste much better!

Blog Entries

Would like to end up with a dz or 2 laying hens at the most, maybe 2 roosters.

I am scared to handle these eggs as I have no idea how long they have been in the "cave", an exploding rotten egg is not my idea of a good time. I will just keep harvesting the new eggs daily and see what happens with the marked eggs, should see something soon.

Currently waiting to go harvest, both hens laid this morning and one is still on the eggs, soon as she takes a break I will take my payment for their room and board.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Maybe you can find a cheaper way to feed them. Chickens are not that picky.
    Survivor

Do you have JICARO on the island? That is the best and cheapest food if grown on the island. Very high in protein. All you have to do is cut them, let them dry and crack them open. Take the food out and feed it to the chickens..... I had chickens at my house for some time and I would bring a trailer load of Jicaro from the farm.... Sometimes they would lay two eggs per day...... Had to get rid of them cause they were distroying the garden....

Blog Entries

I have been told there is some Jicaro on the Island, but yet to see any so there is not much if any. Mangos are running a little late this year, usually they are producing by now, but it looks like a few more weeks before they start dropping. Mangos will last 6 weeks or so then we should go right into avocado which look like they are coming early this year.

Chickens love both mango and avocado. They are doing well foraging around the farm, I feed the corn more as a treat and to keep them close to home. They also love ripe plantain and overripe bananas.

I am also a little concerned about their affect on the garden, mostly worried about when I put out small plants and how bad they damage those, but if they eat some bugs I can overlook a lot.

The local pulperia has gone up to 5 cords an egg, I think the big shops are 4 cords an egg, so I am tickled to have my 2 laying hens, and hope they can hatch a few more hens to lay and a few roosters to fatten up for the pot.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Can you dry any of those fruits and will it keep for chicken food?

Hell, dried, sliced bananas are good human food. It is sold here in snack packs along with other dried goodies and nuts for big bucks.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate to tell ya Cookshoe, but the chickens are gone really piss ya off with the garden growing...

Those free range, chickens off the yard are not fit for NOTHING but to keep the bugs down and kill everything else eddible in the process. Hell they even make terrible soup... This is why the Human Race invented Chicken Coop's they are a nessassiry EVIL like many of the "Do Gooders" I have seen in the world that take up and consume good air....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

JW I expect you are right about the garden, will have to keep the chickens contained while the plants are small, they are not causing "much" damage to mature plants. I have enough space so they don't bother the garden much, but I know that will quickly change as soon as I start working it again and get the bugs moving.

Tom I am working on drying some fruit, there are plans all over the internet for home made solar dryers, problem so far is humidity. I may have some success March, April, and May (mango season), but the rest of the year I would not expect very good results. I think that you would still want to put the dried fruit in the freezer to prevent mold, I think it will be nearly impossible to get out all the water. I have been drying some green papaya the past few days for making an Easter specialty called Stew Papaya, about to go out and start cooking it. The fire is about ready.

Since the fire is going I am thinking to also make a Cassava Cake, I pulled a pile yesterday, will have to hunt up a few coconuts to milk, and send someone out to get some evaporated milk and a few other things, not sure I am that energetic, but am toying with the idea anyway.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cookshoe, listen up. I have heard you mention "Milking a Cocoanut" many times.

I think you are either a "Sick Puppie" or I am not understanding your meaning.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I keep saying I will get some pics of the whole "milking" process, next time I will try. I hate grating coconut, so I usually try to enlist some help for that part of the process, but right now everyone's hands are busy with Semana Santa.

Today instead of cooking anything else for myself I made a big pot of dogfood with scraps from the freezer, had the fire going and hated to waste it. Bought a couple of pounds of rice and cooked up a mess of dog chow, should last a few days when mixed in with the daily rations of dry food.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I gone tell ya what. my wife cooks for our Dog Pack (yes we now have a pack of hounds)

Tonkey, that DSB let us take care of for him but you know how it goes here, after a bit things change ownership. Tools ya loan, money ya loan, etc. So it happened with Tonkey he now is the head of the pack since he has seniority of the group.

We had two more gifted to us from Mr. Dale that came from right bad blood. not BIG dogs but mean as a snake during shedding time when they strike out at even a falling limb. These two are MINE I love them, I named one Bulldog, and the other Fall Down.

Then Jameleths sister gave us a pretty little all white bitch puppy I call her Hair Ball.

Then a community stray puppy followed Cindi home from the pulperia Uuuu, I felt this one needed killin'; it was in so bad a shape. But the kids washed it, I got some worm meds for it and it has turned out to be a good dog. I named this one Ugly.

But getting back to the Dog Food, my wife cooks a pot of the cheap rice for them every day with all kinds of nice scraps in it.

I would eat it NO JOKE....

Ah hale John Wayne, ya know quiet well that a man makes an immediate assessment of all that is in front
    of him, and it was obvious that you needed a dog. Ole Tonk would fight anything and that is the main reason that I left 'em withya, plus he was too damned mean to leave with my friends down in the hood.

Blog Entries

My new alarm clock, already broken, starts going off around 3am, no sleep button either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Super Meditator

If he came from the mainland, he has to be adjusted for daylight savings time. There is usually an adjustment hole in the back.
    "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." - Albert Einstein. - Politics may not be the oldest profession but the results are the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seybonazo View Post
    If he came from the mainland, he has to be adjusted for daylight savings time. There is usually an adjustment hole in the back.
    That is what it is, poor thing suffereing a different time zone....

How the hell are ya buddy? doin' ok with ya boy's? Good to hear from ya and ya still kickin'

Just saw a video today on Yahoo front page on how to tell if an egg is fresh. If it sinks, its super fresh. If it points upwards and bobbles in the water, not so fresh. and if it floats high up, throw it out the window.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tresfrijoles View Post
    Just saw a video today on Yahoo front page on how to tell if an egg is fresh. If it sinks, its super fresh. If it points upwards and bobbles in the water, not so fresh. and if it floats high up, throw it out the window.
    Makes sense, I remember my 'ole farmer grandmother showing me to make a pickleing brine. She took a fresh egg, and buddy I mean that scutter was fresh, laid that morning. and mixed enough salt in the water in the clay urn till it floated, then the brine was strong enough to do the job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Makes sense, I remember my 'ole farmer grandmother showing me to make a pickleing brine. She took a fresh egg, and buddy I mean that scutter was fresh, laid that morning. and mixed enough salt in the water in the clay urn till it floated, then the brine was strong enough to do the job.
    Enough salt to float an egg. That is what every brine recipe I ever seen read.
    Survivor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast