Thread: Immigration is coming to our house!

Blog Entries

Default Immigration is coming to our house!

I got a call yesterday from Nicaraguan Immigration. They have reviewed our documents for our pensionado visas and are ready to recommend us for residency. The woman who called, talked for a few minutes and asked me if I could call her back. I guess she didn't want to use all of her minutes. She made an appointment to come to our house on Ometepe Island on Monday. She also asked if we could pay for her trip. She wants $20. Geez. If I said, "No" then our residency would probably be rejected. She had me between a rock and a hard place. I'm not sure what they do when they come to visit. I went around to all the neighbors and told them to expect a visit on Monday because I heard they ask the neighbors questions about people applying for residency.

Has anyone had a visit from immigration? I'm not sure what to expect.

Default Re: Immigration is coming to our house!

Hopefully not the same type of visit Nicaraguans get from INS in the US.....

Blog Entries

I read these post over the years and all I can say is there is no place in the world like Nicaragua.

It's like when you have to give the cops gas money to investigate a crime.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

The Immigration official visited our house yesterday. She asked to see our documents, such as our Escritura, moto registration, passports, and verification of our lifetime income. Our neighbors came over to testify that we were good people ( I think they went a little overboard), and they had to show their cedulas. It was a short, sweet visit. She gave me the number of immigration and told me to call the office in two weeks to pick up our cedulas. So far, so good. We still have to do one more border run to renew our visas. They are due this week.

Apparently an immigration officer is assigned to visit all new applicants for residency. It's a new thing they started. Actually, I enjoyed the visit. She was a very nice lady and she answered many of the questions I had. If she didn't know the answers, she called the office to find out. I'm not holding my breath that our cedulas will be ready in two weeks. It has taken almost a year to complete the residency process. We can wait a little longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsytoes View Post
    I got a call yesterday from Nicaraguan Immigration. They have reviewed our documents for our pensionado visas and are ready to recommend us for residency. The woman who called, talked for a few minutes and asked me if I could call her back. I guess she didn't want to use all of her minutes. She made an appointment to come to our house on Ometepe Island on Monday. She also asked if we could pay for her trip. She wants $20. Geez. If I said, "No" then our residency would probably be rejected. She had me between a rock and a hard place. I'm not sure what they do when they come to visit. I went around to all the neighbors and told them to expect a visit on Monday because I heard they ask the neighbors questions about people applying for residency.

I didn't, but a couple I know here did. They basically come in and talk to you and if they've got spare people in the car, they talk to your neighbors, or your references.

Basically, speak as much Spanish as you can or arrange for someone to come in and interpret for you. Some of the questions I've heard that they ask are "did you use a lawyer?" and "why didn't you apply for residency sooner?" if you've been doing extended tourism in the past. They want to know if you fit in, mas o menos.

The impression I'm getting is that everyone who applies and whose paperwork satisfies Intur gets residency. But never believe anyone on how long things will take.

Blog Entries

I got my cedula without a visit, but then I'd talked to people in the DC Nicaraguan consulate before coming here with the paperwork they'd stamped and I talked to people at Intur. But I do know people who had the interviews. Basically, they want to know who you are in person and how well you get along with your neighbors. If your Spanish isn't up to conversational levels, arrange for someone to interpret for you (they may or may not have any English-speakers in the car). Two questions that they asked the people I know are "Did you use a lawyer?" and "Why didn't you apply for residency earlier?" Answer honestly. I think they're trying to make the process easier if not faster.

Don't believe anything anyone tells you about how long the different steps take. Everyone I know who applied for residency since I moved here (August 2010) got their residency cedulas; it just took them way longer than they thought it would. Also, make sure you've done Migracion's three page form and turned it in to Intur and that it makes the trip from Intur to Migracion with you when you (or your lawyer) moves the paperwork from Intur to Migracion. A friend's application was delayed while they waited for him to do this step and he didn't realize for a while that he needed to do this step. It's the form that asks for your references in Nicaragua and your siblings' names in the US, and Gobernacion offices should have it.

Blog Entries

Basically, according to friends who've been interviewed, it's fairly painless. Make sure you've got an interpreter lined up if your Spanish isn't that good. Answer the questions truthfully (they may be doing a survey about who used lawyers for everything and who only used lawyers for the notary work; and they asked one couple why they didn't apply for residency earlier (they said they enjoyed going to Costa Rica periodically and they got their cedulas).

Everyone I know here who's applied for residency got it. Only one used a lawyer for everything.

Blog Entries

When the immigration official came to our house, she never asked us if we used a lawyer( We did) and she never asked us why we didn't get residency sooner. One IMPORTANT thing I neglected to mention...probably because I feel like a real fool...when she asked for proof of our lifetime pension, she wanted to know what bank we used in the states. I wrote down the name of the bank, then she asked how we got our money out of the bank. I told her we used the ATM machine. She asked to see our ATM card. We were apprehensive about showing it to her, but when she WROTE DOWN our debit card number...we freaked! She didn't write the security code from the back of the card. I called our residency agent and she said to call our bank immediately and have them issue us new cards. Now immigration has all of our information. They don't have our SS numbers, nor our acct number to our bank in the states, but they probably have enough information that they could do a bank transfer in our name. It is ripe for identity theft. This happened to a friend of mine in Nicaragua. Fortunately, they canceled their card before a $3,000 transfer took place through BAC bank.

I can't report this to immigration because they can deny our residency. So, I've canceled our cards. Now, we have to go through the hassle of figuring out a way to get our new cards sent to Nicaragua....probably through a friend...definitely not through the mail.

Use this experience as a WARNING! I guess we are way too naive. There was absolutely NO reason for the immigration officer to have the cedula information of our neighbors, or our ATM card number.

Blog Entries

That's insane, and disgusting. I'd report them. There's no legal ground to deny your residency, you shouldn't be afraid of criminals.

Blog Entries

"you shouldn't be afraid of criminals"

You mean like the President?

Oh Jonh, you make me laugh.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    "you shouldn't be afraid of criminals"

You mean like the President?

Oh Jonh, you make me laugh.
    That's why the right to keep and bear arms is so important.

Blog Entries

When the immigration official came to our house, she never asked us if we used a lawyer( We did) and she never asked us why we didn't get residency sooner. One IMPORTANT thing I neglected to mention...probably because I feel like a real fool...when she asked for proof of our lifetime pension, she wanted to know what bank we used in the states. I wrote down the name of the bank, then she asked how we got our money out of the bank. I told her we used the ATM machine. She asked to see our ATM card. We were apprehensive about showing it to her, but when she WROTE DOWN our debit card number...we freaked! She didn't write the security code from the back of the card. I called our residency agent and she said to call our bank immediately and have them issue us new cards. Now immigration has all of our information. They don't have our SS numbers, nor our acct number to our bank in the states, but they probably have enough information that they could do a bank transfer in our name. It is ripe for identity theft. This happened to a friend of mine in Nicaragua. Fortunately, they canceled their card before a $3,000 transfer took place through BAC bank.

I can't report this to immigration because they can deny our residency. So, I've canceled our cards. Now, we have to go through the hassle of figuring out a way to get our new cards sent to Nicaragua....probably through a friend...definitely not through the mail.

Use this experience as a WARNING! I guess we are way too naive. There was absolutely NO reason for the immigration officer to have the cedula information of our neighbors, or our ATM card number.

Cedula numbers of your neighbors -- yes, they have a reason for that. The bank card number -- check with your bank. My understanding is that transfers need the actual account number, not the bank card number (though that will work as a credit card exchange).

If you think that's bad, don't do business with Claro -- they will want a xerox of your bank statements for the last three months before selling you a service contract, at least around here.

I had a credit card sent here by mail -- it required me calling from my home (cell) phone (which fortunately had enough credit on it to make the call) to activate the card and then another Skype call or two to make sure they knew where I might charge things (they put a block on my Skype renewal transaction, but fortunately I had enough credit on Skype to spend time hashing that out). Talk to your bank about how to activate the card. Give them your Nicaraguan phone number. Make sure that you have to call them from that number to activate the card (they should already have security questions from you).

I was curious about how the credit card company was going to handle sending me a new card (the original card company was acquired and all the accounts transferred to the new company). It got here quite quickly (less than ten day?). In your case, it might be possible to have the cards sent by FedEx, which may require a trip to Managua, but that should give you additional peace of mind even if it is a tremendous hassle (not going to Managua to deal with customs is worth at least $100 to me).

Blog Entries

Do NOT believe that you'll get your cedulas in two weeks. This is more an example of Nicaraguan fatalism ("If we part happy, and if I die or they die before two weeks pass, we will never have to sort this out) than anything realistic from everything I've seen (my application and others).

Also, make sure you do the three page form on both sides that asks for your references, among a number of other things. And when you pick up the paperwork at Intur, make sure it's with the packet that goes to Emigration. Then you get your appointment for the cedula photograph, which depends on one person being at Migracion to sign off on the cedula.

If he's not sick or not at a funeral, that's the one time table you can count on, but the time is generally a month to six weeks after you get the appointment card (I almost lost it when the guy had a family emergency and wasn't in the office when I had my first appointment, but then I had to have the cedula before I could fly back to the US to finish dealing with selling my car and shipping some stuff).

Party at MetroCenter when you get the cedula and if you have to go to Managua to get it. Lunch in the food court?

The Immigration official visited our house yesterday. She asked to see our documents, such as our Escritura, moto registration, passports, and verification of our lifetime income. Our neighbors came over to testify that we were good people ( I think they went a little overboard), and they had to show their cedulas. It was a short, sweet visit. She gave me the number of immigration and told me to call the office in two weeks to pick up our cedulas. So far, so good. We still have to do one more border run to renew our visas. They are due this week.

Apparently an immigration officer is assigned to visit all new applicants for residency.
    I think these all are the necessary things that they check but don't know exactly that they charge fee for their visit.But may be due to change in state laws they may have that fee that they charge the person who apply for residency.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert27 View Post
    I think these all are the necessary things that they check but don't know exactly that they charge fee for their visit.But may be due to change in state laws they may have that fee that they charge the person who apply for residency.
    most gov. agencies charge for the visit..when i did my pistol permits..i picked the police up at the station..took them to my hose..took them to lunch and got my permit renewed..if ure on ometepe isla..u did good with 20 buck..

Officially Migración needs to see three people, nacionales, write 3 names on forms and with cedula numbers and how long you have known person soliciting for a residence. That all to satisfy the application forms.

Or gas to the ambulance

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My understanding is that when you are that far along in the process you do not need to do a border run. Check with migracion or consider buying a few days of time to save the trip.

Perico
    Blog Entries

I am here for 160 days this winter to see if I really want to live in Nicaragua.​In 10 months I'll be 62 and get my pension. This puzzles me about the references what if you just got here and don't know any Nicas? Residence? what if you are just staying with a friend or at a hotel?

Blog Entries

Don't feel like the lone ranger...I have a Nica friend who is retired from Nic. government service and to keep his pension coming he has to go into some office every 6 months and sign a statement that he is still alive. In the US we are used to signing statements under oath under penalty of perjury, but Nic is more hands on.

Also, the "investigation" is called "la visita", ominous or casual as you prefer.

A friend reports that his investigation took 8 months with no problems. This was pre-crisis, so maybe now with a lower work load it will go quicker. Or slower, remember the lead/cork thing.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Renewal finally rolled in , 5.5 months. New cedula (5300 cords) looks like the old one but specifically says "c-4" and "can't work".
    Good news is it is now good for 5 years from the day you renew, not 5.5 months ago.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"