Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas

Blog Entries

Default Need ideas

Now here is a wild and crazy idea that I welcome anyone to comment or criticize.

Recently I visited LCI and noticed what looked like a long breakwater in the bay. Turns out a large diameter (6-7 feet) plastic tube arrived one windy day. This thing is probably 100 feet long. Why not cut up a six foot section of it and use it as the basis for a septic tank, or a cistern?

Any other ideas?

PS...What about garden walls (fences) to keep chickens out of the veggies? Like a 3 foot wall?
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 05-09-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need ideas

Yes, SIR, now ya using ya head for something besides a hat rack,"Ole Capt. Jack Hill would say...

But don't get ya hopes up unless it is still there. I would do something like that in a heart beat.

Besides the keeping with your Gilligan's Island living...

You know this might earn you the title "Professor"

Then on to the bicycle powered water pump, battery charger, and who knows where it might lead with a creative mind...

No, I like the idea you have it is a good one IMO.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Hurricane shelter, put it out of any kind of high water issues, sitck it sideways to the wind and heavy duty door on one end and pile it with dirt to the desired height if it's strong enough to handle wet soil on top. You have an almost instant shelter.

If you don't like that idea, cut some of it up, then down both sides and now you have an instant shelter for animals, need height attach it to 4 posts standing up with top side rails to attach the newly cut sides of the pipe to with screws or nails. Or leave some of it laying down, throw some dirt inside the tube to make a level area and use that as an animal shelter. Paint white or it will be too hot for anything inside it if it's out in the sun. A black plastic bag can heat water to 160 degrees a big black pipe could get fairly warm.

Also could cut it sideways in sections and use those sections to move water by gravity for gardening. Could be hot as hell on thier hinnies, but you could make a slide for the kids, best used if cool water is being poured down it at the same time. Lots of it.

You can use it to heat water? cut a chunk up put anything that will hold water in it, in the middle cover with tin, paint it black and my guess is it will heat what ever is iniside it. Might still be a bucket bath, but at least it would be a warm one.
    I never said I was normal !

Active TRN Member

nica water slide park. need a very steep hill and a steady stream of water flowing down the 100' tube. couple of challenging hazards installed enroute and you're good to go. what gauge is the plastic?

You could do septic, cistern, hurricane shelter, and have more than enough left over to start your own fish farm. 3' high sections lined with fish pond plastic and pump ocean water through them.

Unfortunately that wouldn't leave enough for the water slide. The slide of course would be a great tourist attraction and less work than a fish farm. Not to mention all the extra money you could make on snow cones and beer sales.

artificial reef?
    Soy el chele mono.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Now here is a wild and crazy idea that I welcome anyone to comment or criticize.

Recently I visited LCI and noticed what looked like a long breakwater in the bay. Turns out a large diameter (6-7 feet) plastic tube arrived one windy day. This thing is probably 100 feet long. Why not cut up a six foot section of it and use it as the basis for a septic tank, or a cistern?

Any other ideas?

PS...What about garden walls (fences) to keep chickens out of the veggies? Like a 3 foot wall?
    Man that would make a huge bong.

Blog Entries

Conch corral? Place to keep conch until ready to eat?

Put in 6 feet of water with 2 foot walls?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Artificial reef is a good idea. Could be done rather low-tech. Cut the pipe into 20' or 25' sections, long enough to be good habitat but short enough to swim through if you were free diving. You could use fencing with concrete at the ends to drape over the pipe and hold it in place. Sink it in about 40' of water. Put your fencing with concrete over it, then figure out a way to permanently pin it down. Transplant some nice corals onto the fencing and it should start growing naturally. Do this with 4 or 5 sections and you would have a nice dive spot.

Blog Entries

Let the kids play with it. Cut some holes in it.

Do they have a playground? If yes, drag it over there. If no, it's a start. Slides could be built off it. Or creative gym equipment. Monkey bars inside. And a mega see-saw.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

This is a tough assignment... I need to get back to you
    Survivor

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Let the kids play with it. Cut some holes in it.

Do they have a playground? If yes, drag it over there. If no, it's a start. Slides could be built off it. Or creative gym equipment. Monkey bars inside. And a mega see-saw.
    yo...........daddy. this is the best yet. if i lived near the hood, i would love to do something like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post

Any other ideas?

I have a very good idea for you, forget you ever saw it and be glad you did not touch it.

Some wild rumors floating around about this mysterious "plastic tube", most of which came out after 2 solid days of fly overs by the USCG. They even dropped into the airport for a meet and greet with officials here.

The "tube" was moved over to the front side and dismantling began, the tube is a big hit with the Islanders, well it was. The rumor, and I repeat RUMOR is that the rightful owner owner would like this lowly looking piece of "tube" back, and is none to happy that this "tube" is being cut up.

I repeat these are just RUMORS. I have never seen the 'tube" nor do I wish too.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Musta been someone's homemade submarine project that got away.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I have a very good idea for you, forget you ever saw it and be glad you did not touch it.

I have never seen the 'tube" nor do I wish too.

Once he laid his hands on it EVERYONE and his brother would lay claim to it... AND the "Tube" owed them money....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I am a generally resourceful kind of guy, but I can't think of anything to do with that tube that isn't worth the trouble.
    Survivor

Looks like those who guessed "slide" were the winners.

"But the pipe was too large to manage as one solid piece, so Hodgson and other fishermen cut it into shorter sections with a chainsaw and hauled it ashore. Most of the fragments are now stacked in his front yard, while other pieces are serving as a waterslide for kids, a walkway into the woods, and a beach break to curb erosion."

The black pipe made it into the ND and has a pretty interesting story behind it.

http://www.nicaraguadispatch.com/new...e-mystery/4645

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post

"But the pipe was too large to manage as one solid piece, so Hodgson and other fishermen cut it into shorter sections with a chainsaw and hauled it ashore. Most of the fragments are now stacked in his front yard, while other pieces are serving as a waterslide for kids, a walkway into the woods, and a beach break to curb erosion."

The black pipe made it into the ND and has a pretty interesting story behind it.

http://www.nicaraguadispatch.com/news/2012/07/little-corn-island’s-giant-pipe-mystery/4645

Thanks for the follow-up. What a facinating story.
    Survivor

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post

http://www.nicaraguadispatch.com/new...e-mystery/4645
    so do i win anything tom?

Blog Entries

That was a great article and very informative fact wise.

They missed some of the local "color". You cannot imagine the rumors and theories behind this pipe. At first anyone was scared to do much with it for fear that it might belong to one of the Cartels, and one thing is fact here, don't f88k with Columbians...

Several months back I heard they were cutting it up, about that time there were a few people snooping around asking questions, another fact here, don't ask lots of questions, people got a bit nervous, but soon they were back to getting the thing down to manageable size pieces.

They made several fish traps from it and they are supposed to be pretty impressive.

As they say here: A gift from the Sea.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    That was a great article and very informative fact wise.

They missed some of the local "color". You cannot imagine the rumors and theories behind this pipe. At first anyone was scared to do much with it for fear that it might belong to one of the Cartels, and one thing is fact here, don't f88k with Columbians...

Several months back I heard they were cutting it up, about that time there were a few people snooping around asking questions, another fact here, don't ask lots of questions, people got a bit nervous, but soon they were back to getting the thing down to manageable size pieces.

They made several fish traps from it and they are supposed to be pretty impressive.

As they say here: A gift from the Sea.
    One of the people involved in this project fled the country because he feared for his life, according to the story. Colombians kill people as part of their daily business.

If you ever read about Pablo Escobar or Griselda Blanco, you see their claim to fame was killing their way to the top of their cartles, but they whole country has a very long history of violence. It is my opinion they taught the Mexicans how to do it.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Yes, Columbians are businessmen in a real fashion.

Someday if I get right I will tell ya'll a story of an assasination out on Little Island. A man had done some wrong in his dealings, thought he was safe on his Little Island, unfortunately for him his understanding of geography was not so good. San Andres (Columbia) is less than 100 miles (under 2 hours in a "fast" boat) away

Good chance LC Tom is walking by the very spot this morning, they have a little monument next to the path where he was ambushed.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So I should be scared that Shakira will kill me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    So I should be scared that Shakira will kill me?
    What a way to go...
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by off2paradise View Post
    What a way to go...
    Smothered to death...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast