Thread: Homeless in Managua??

Blog Entries

Default Homeless in Managua??

Just back from a quick trip to MGA and noticed many more people appear to be living on the streets. Saw one small "squatter camp", just North of Metrocenter that even had some water tanks installed. I also noticed that many of the people that are working (window washing, selling water, etc) on major corners are also sleeping at them, I guess guarding their turf. Been 10 months since I have spent any time in MGA and was a little surpried to see so many people living on the streets.

Anyone else notice this, are people moving in from rural areas or is there some other reason. I enjoy walking around after daylight and before it gets hot, I walk in neighborhoods I have walked in for years and even saw squatters set up in some pretty nice neighborhoods. I was really surprised.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Homeless in Managua??

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Just back from a quick trip to MGA and noticed many more people appear to be living on the streets. Saw one small "squatter camp", just North of Metrocenter that even had some water tanks installed. I also noticed that many of the people that are working (window washing, selling water, etc) on major corners are also sleeping at them, I guess guarding their turf. Been 10 months since I have spent any time in MGA and was a little surpried to see so many people living on the streets.

Anyone else notice this, are people moving in from rural areas or is there some other reason. I enjoy walking around after daylight and before it gets hot, I walk in neighborhoods I have walked in for years and even saw squatters set up in some pretty nice neighborhoods. I was really surprised.
    yeah, early one morning near rotunda urbano i saw a woman with a small child exiting an area that looked like a camp. she was carrying everything she owned. i turned around and gave her my drinking water and a bag of fruit for the child. i asked her situation and she told me she was living on the streets with her alcoholic sister's little girl. very sad when this situation is the desirable alternative for a child. but for the grace of god, there go I.

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Been here since Aug 2011 and pretty sure that little camp has been there since then!! Its pretty sad seeing the poverty. amazes me how much $1 makes a kid smile so much. Hate seeing the poverty and the stray animals!!!

Former SJDS Bureau Chief, TRN Danpolley's Avatar

Sorry to offend anyone but it really pisses me off to see the people of Nicaragua being treated as trash. The upper classes of Nicaragua seem to be doing just fine. Not confined to Nicaragua but sure as hell true here. I went to a fund raiser tonight in Kansas City to help the women of Nicaragua which is fine but the government of Nicaragua needs to focus on the people not the thief's in the government.
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danpolley View Post
    Sorry to offend anyone but it really pisses me off to see the people of Nicaragua being treated as trash. The upper classes of Nicaragua seem to be doing just fine. Not confined to Nicaragua but sure as hell true here. I went to a fund raiser tonight in Kansas City to help the women of Nicaragua which is fine but the government of Nicaragua needs to focus on the people not the thief's in the government.
    I agree with you Dan, but that is as old as recorded history and perhaps older than that.

It is world wide including the good 'ole USA. I guess it is just inherent in mankind and just changes hands once in a while with a "Revoloution"

And then it over a brief time returns mostly by the ones that led those revoloutions.

I am not gone worry about it, I do what I can around me and the rest are just going to have to deal with it. I cannot save the world, but perhaps change a few things around me without neglecting my own obligations.

Those of you speak at those fund raisers have the heart to give help, and I hope some of it, I know all won't but some part of it might just make a little difference somewhere.

BTW I did miss your posts as well, Hang in there Sport, Enjoy your Semi-retired adventures, Party till ya Puke and all that bloody rot...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Canuck View Post
    Been here since Aug 2011 and pretty sure that little camp has been there since then!! Its pretty sad seeing the poverty. amazes me how much $1 makes a kid smile so much. Hate seeing the poverty and the stray animals!!!
    i think the people in that camp..were moved there from in front of the nat. assembly..there with the banana law suit thing..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    i think the people in that camp..were moved there from in front of the nat. assembly..there with the banana law suit thing..
    Six years ago I recall the huge 'occupation' (collection of squatters camping under black plastic sheet) just north of rotunda Plaza Inter on the west side. I was told they were there, near the government for that same lawsuit against Dole, plus a large group of veterans (Sandinistas) claiming they were owed a pension, or somesuch. It had been a park. In the intervening years a development of closely-spaced, little matching houses were built there, all with a small front porch, electricity & plumbing. It seems their squatting paid off.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Here's a picture of the Dole squatters mentioned above. I thought I had a picture of the new houses, but can't find it at this time. If I do, I'll edit the post to add it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

One thing that stands out in the USA are the safety nets that we have to take care of the truly poor. Another thing is that we have a middle class. When you go to other countries you see the stark differences, where children are allowed to starve, live on the streets, and to be abused. You can blame the government of Nicaragua, and it is primarily at fault, but everyone must know that there is not enough money in Nicaragua to take care of everyone. Unless they find some new untapped resource this cycle will continue until the extinction of human beings.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Sterilization is the answer. If you do not have enough sense to limit your number of children, then sterilization is the answer.

Make a free benefit of the government.

Simply ask a woman one minute after childbirth if she would like a free sterilization...Amend that to one minute before childbirth.

Also ask all male prisoners if they would like 1 year off their sentence in exchange for a free sterilization.

A national lottery that pays out only if a free sterilization as agreed to.

I could go on but perhaps there are other incentives?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I wondered if some of those I saw were not from the old camps. One of the older guys I saw I figured for an old military man, his house was black plastic, and the morning I passed he was making his cot, he was camped on a corner just a block or so from the Seminole Hotel, had a great shady location and a nice little camp.

Sterilization for women is common here, usually after giving birth, but they have also taken plane loads of women that wanted the procedure to Bluefields in the past.

Not sure that population is such an issue in Nicaragua, least populated Country in Central America and the most land, just need some work for the people. What I have seen is a migration from rural to urban areas, even here on the Island the population continues to grow with people moving from the Mainland, I thought that might be part of the reason for so many people on the streets in MGA.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Just seems like there are a lot of girls walking around with a kid on their hip (and probably no husband to support the kid).

Sex for sport is OK by me but why drag a child into a world that can ill afford to raise it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Just seems like there are a lot of girls walking around with a kid on their hip (and probably no husband to support the kid).

Sex for sport is OK by me but why drag a child into a world that can ill afford to raise it?
    LCT I about agree with you on your posts, I really do, but it ain't gone happen I don't think.

And I agree with Cookshoe, so much area, natural resources, Human resource and for naught..

But I want to throw this in, same as Africa and every where else that has turned to Begging as a means of generating funds and selling babies, if something did take place like we have discussed, it would defeat the large international pastime. Sporting Girls without question should be spayed.... IMO.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Men and women are different, from my experience, and we change as we age.

Men and Boys get crazy horny and are driven by hormones. Young women get Baby Fever, and it is about the same as being horny for a young guy.

When they get older men are still horny, but women get regular horny too. The most depraved women being those in their 30s.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post

Men and Boys get crazy horny and are driven by hormones. Young women get Baby Fever, and it is about the same as being horny for a young guy.

When they get older men are still horny, but women get regular horny too. The most depraved women being those in their 30s.
    From one Ex womanizer to another.... I agree....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post

depraved [dɪˈpreɪvd]adj morally bad or debased; corrupt; perverted

I remember a female friend of mine once asked me if I knew how old she was. I said..hmmmm...about 35 I guess....but so what?

She said "I am reaching my sexual peak".

I said "Let's light some candles"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyiT_DGREA

Active TRN Member

In a poverty-stricken, "machismo" culture, where women have little voice and no reproductive rights/support... Really, are you surprised?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    In a poverty-stricken, "machismo" culture, where women have little voice and no reproductive rights/support...
    Right. Women are second class citizens by custom in most of Latin America. The Sandinistas strive to change that, to their credit, with the 'Family Laws' in the new Constitution. But enforcement is spotty. One great step forward, IMO, is that Nicaragua has so many policewomen. Centuries of culture don't change overnight.

Although abortions are officially against the law, most every village has someone who can . . . Still most pregnant girls, even if abandoned by the father, want the baby. And other women do help them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Right. Women are second class citizens by custom in most of Latin America. The Sandinistas strive to change that, to their credit, with the 'Family Laws' in the new Constitution. But enforcement is spotty. One great step forward, IMO, is that Nicaragua has so many policewomen. Centuries of culture don't change overnight.

Although abortions are officially against the law, most every village has someone who can . . . Still most pregnant girls, even if abandoned by the father, want the baby. And other women do help them.
    "Wanting" .........Hmmmm...I want a new car, but can not afford one, so I do not get one.

Does "wanting" justify everything .... anything?

Blog Entries

A baby is an attainable dream, a car, not so much.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    "Wanting" .........Hmmmm...I want a new car, but can not afford one, so I do not get one.
    I've never met a Latin American woman who thinks in terms of being able to 'afford' a baby. The more common attitude seems to be that babies are gifts from God. (Not that the girls don't understand what makes 'em pregnant. There are times when it's easier to give in to those passions (yes, they have 'em too) than trying to control them. Naughty, huh?)

And the dick responsible? Does he think <what could I 'afford' here with this lovely babe>? Even the dumb ones know:
    Sin globos, no hay fiesta.____