Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

  1. #1
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Got a call yesterday that a friend on the Main was sending me some Pelibuey meat, I send them Plantain from time to time and they send me this, that, or the other now and then. Went down this morning and the boat had not came, got a bit worried, hate to see a big cut of meat spoil. The boat and Meat arrived later in the morning. I sent someone down to get it, because I am lazy and is Hot like a frying pan right now. No surprises until another friend's SUV comes up my road and people jump from the car like a Chinese Fire Drill, then the back opens up and I see the ice chest I was waiting for and then a live Pelibuey, Sh**, I just wanted some meat.

    I have been "loaned" a Pelibuey, the friend has 2 males and all they do is fight so of course who comes to mind, the Crazy White Man, let's take this stinking deviant sheep to him. They acted like they were doing me a big favor because it can breed my goat, but this ain't my first rodeo and know good and well it will be a long time before that SUV comes back up my road.

    As they pulled away I told them I would call when I had the fire good and hot, they just smiled, laughed, and waved.

    Stupid ass gringo.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  2. #2

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Got a call yesterday that a friend on the Main was sending me some Pelibuey meat, I send them Plantain from time to time and they send me this, that, or the other now and then. Went down this morning and the boat had not came, got a bit worried, hate to see a big cut of meat spoil. The boat and Meat arrived later in the morning. I sent someone down to get it, because I am lazy and is Hot like a frying pan right now. No surprises until another friend's SUV comes up my road and people jump from the car like a Chinese Fire Drill, then the back opens up and I see the ice chest I was waiting for and then a live Pelibuey, Sh**, I just wanted some meat.

    I have been "loaned" a Pelibuey, the friend has 2 males and all they do is fight so of course who comes to mind, the Crazy White Man, let's take this stinking deviant sheep to him. They acted like they were doing me a big favor because it can breed my goat, but this ain't my first rodeo and know good and well it will be a long time before that SUV comes back up my road.

    As they pulled away I told them I would call when I had the fire good and hot, they just smiled, laughed, and waved.

    Stupid ass gringo.
    Oh yeah; and which side of left do you want?

  3. #3
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    I know it is weird, but I have really never eaten goats and sheep. I don't know what is up with that, but I have an easier time eating strange things out of the sea and considered truly exotic. I will try anything but one time I seen a goat on a spit and it looked like a German Shepard to me. I suppose if I was in the third world and on some exotic island and had enough beer I would eat just about anything.
    Survivor

  4. #4
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Most of the goat around here is tough, Pelibuey can be nice, the meat I got looks like it was from a young one, it is a shoulder and not too big, I am going to smoke it.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  5. #5
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Pelibuey can be nice, I am going to smoke it.
    First it was Milking Cocanuts.. Now this?

    I am NOT going to comment on this one....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  6. #6
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    This weekend I had planned to smoke some Pig ribs I brought from MGA. Now looks like smoked Pelibuey, will need a big mess of potato salad, maybe some slaw bound to be some beans on the table, see what else I can round up. This Pelibuey looks real nice, I am kinda excited, this will be my first time cooking any.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  7. #7
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Smokem if you got em I always say.
    Survivor

  8. #8
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    I have found I fair better with it by smoking it first with Guyava leaves and green sticks for the flavor and then give it the pot roast treatment. The meat has no fat and will get real dry any other way I have done it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  9. #9
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    That was kinda what I had in mind, looks lean. Figured I would smoke it over a real low heat then put it in a tightly coverered pot with plenty of beer, see how that works.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  10. #10
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    You got it... make sure ya spill some of the beer on the goat meat as well ya know...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  11. #11
    Junkyard Dog randude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,148
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    JW that sounds like the same recipe you use for squirrel.
    Survivor

  12. #12
    Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puerto Cabezas Nicar
    Posts
    13,263
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    JW that sounds like the same recipe you use for squirrel.
    Works with just about anything.... Stewed Food... and some Biscutts and Gravy, can't hardly go wrong.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...



  13. #13
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    When I was a kid and we hunted squirrel my grandmother would either make squirrel and dumplings or fry it and make up some biscuits and gravy. Fine eating.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  14. #14
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    5,703
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    You got it... make sure ya spill some of the beer on the goat meat as well ya know...
    Some of the Jamaicans at my Dad's greenhouse made Curried Chicken, Roti and Curried goat for dead Queens day week past.. Damn it was good...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  15. #15

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    I still recall my my first experience with goat. Monterrey Mexico. If anyone else has been there they will know. They splay them out on sticks over a huge bar-b-que pit behind glass in the fronts of the restaurant. I had just come back from China and asked my hosts what this was. They could not explain what it was in English. It was also my first trip to Mexico. I recall thinking "it can't be worse than anything i had eaten in China." Anyhow, the goat was nothing compared to the chiles that they added. little small balls of pure fire. I remember my hosts blowing beer out their nose after i realized green does't equate to "less hot". Anyway, Barby goat in Mexico is 100% better than the goat in the middle east - guaranteed. I have had in Egypt many times boiled mutton and then grilled in motor oil, it is not nice.

  16. #16
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Some of the Jamaicans at my Dad's greenhouse made Curried Chicken, Roti and Curried goat for dead Queens day week past.. Damn it was good...
    I keep seeing the Roti recipe on a Jamaica recipe site I peruse, keep saying I am going to make some.

    For some reason Curry is not big here like in other parts of the Caribbean. Some of the older folks still cook it from time to time.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  17. #17
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by pickled toe View Post
    I still recall my my first experience with goat. Monterrey Mexico. If anyone else has been there they will know. They splay them out on sticks over a huge bar-b-que pit behind glass in the fronts of the restaurant. I had just come back from China and asked my hosts what this was. They could not explain what it was in English. It was also my first trip to Mexico. I recall thinking "it can't be worse than anything i had eaten in China." Anyhow, the goat was nothing compared to the chiles that they added. little small balls of pure fire. I remember my hosts blowing beer out their nose after i realized green does't equate to "less hot". Anyway, Barby goat in Mexico is 100% better than the goat in the middle east - guaranteed. I have had in Egypt many times boiled mutton and then grilled in motor oil, it is not nice.
    Southern Mexico they cook it in a pit in the ground, man they can cook some goat.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  18. #18
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    A slow and heavy smoke for a little over 2 hours, then into the oven, a pan with beer, onions, garlic, and seasonings. Came out pretty good.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  19. #19

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    now that sounds good. the bar-b-que version from the north is also very tasty. pulled into small pieces and wrapped in a warm tortilla with all of the fixings. As I mentioned though, the chiles that they add had a punch like no other i have ever tried. Just about took the top my head off. Very small, almost the size of a peppercorn, but green. Also accompanied with a delicious tequila and a negro modello cerveza! Very civilized lunch. I would like to return some day but i understand it is not a safe place any more.

  20. #20
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Smoking more Pelibuey this afternoon and I tell you this silly looking sheep ain't too shabby. Just snacked on a small side of ribs, have a shoulder still taking the slow smoke for another hour or so.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  21. #21
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    This poor Pelibuey had a tragic life, by Noon it will all just be a memory. The Pelibuey was destined for my farm, from a farm about 2 hours up the road from Rama, few days before her arranged transport here she walked out into the road and got "tenderized" by a MGA bound bus.

    Instead of arriving here on 4 feet she arrived partially frozen in a black plastic bag, an ice chest for a casket.

    Yesterday she was subjected to severe smoke inhallation, then carved up, now she is simmering in a nice BBQ sauce (Pulled you might say).

    Hoping to get a breeding pair and keep a few of these around, makes a nice change in the diet. Not so big that you would fill a freezer, quarter it and take the ribs. Nice to have a hunk a meat around for when you are expecting company.

    Still have the Male that a friend loaned (dumped on) me, he is getting fat so I expect they will soon show up to reclaim him, He (I call him Tommy) is a good natured animal and really hasn't been any trouble, eats 2-3 times what the goat does and does not seem nearly as interested as the goat is about damaging trees. All I ever heard about Pelibuey were horror stories and I can see where they could become a real problem if grass got in short supply, not a problem at my place.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  22. #22
    The Bard of Jinotega MizBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jinotega, Nicaragua
    Posts
    830
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Hoping to get a breeding pair and keep a few of these around, makes a nice change in the diet. Not so big that you would fill a freezer, quarter it and take the ribs. Nice to have a hunk a meat around for when you are expecting company.

    Still have the Male that a friend loaned (dumped on) me, he is getting fat so I expect they will soon show up to reclaim him, He (I call him Tommy) is a good natured animal and really hasn't been any trouble, eats 2-3 times what the goat does and does not seem nearly as interested as the goat is about damaging trees. All I ever heard about Pelibuey were horror stories and I can see where they could become a real problem if grass got in short supply, not a problem at my place.

    Friend in Virginia had regular wooled sheep and had five strands of electric fencing around her pasture. If the Pelibueys are better at defending themselves against dogs, or if your dogs will defend them, you don't need electric fencing. Sheep are generally grazers, not browsers. My friend fed some corn, but mostly pasture. Her lambs generally dressed out at 40 lbs. or so. What works in the tropics are the haired sheep. The best known breed in the US is the Blackbellied Barbados -- and I've seen a Blackbellied ram and a man get into it with each other, so your ram sounds a lot nicer. One or two British haired sheep breeds, don't know if they'd be good to cross in for fatter lambs or not.

    I like lamb with some fat, but not as much as most commercial growers in the US and New Zealand put on them. If you have your own, you can start with spring lamb that dresses out to about ten pounds, then a 30 pounder, and they're still considered lambs up to one year. Probably could milk the ewes, too.

    There's somewhere in Jinotega that slaughters lambs on Mondays, but I haven't found it yet.

  23. #23
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    To me the Pelibuey meat is pretty nice, but it is real lean so you have to be careful cooking it. I would like to make some by beating it out, then frying, but so far smoking has been my way.I am quick to call a spade a spade, this is pretty good meat.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  24. #24
    The Bard of Jinotega MizBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jinotega, Nicaragua
    Posts
    830
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Friday, Must be Pelibuey

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    To me the Pelibuey meat is pretty nice, but it is real lean so you have to be careful cooking it. I would like to make some by beating it out, then frying, but so far smoking has been my way.I am quick to call a spade a spade, this is pretty good meat.
    Add corn or milo about a month before slaughter. I don't like really fatty lamb, but a bit fat more than you'd find on venison does help. Otherwise, if you've got bacon or pig belly, you can thread in a bit of that (fancy cooks use larding needles, but cut and stuff works.

Similar Threads

  1. Good Friday
    By Danpolley in forum Nicaragua Scrapbook
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
  2. Dispensing of Pelibuey...
    By catahoula fan in forum Homesteading in Nicaragua
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
  3. Its Friday .'s and ,'s and #'s
    By tresfrijoles in forum Español del día
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
  4. Pelibuey
    By catahoula fan in forum Nicaraguan Culture, Politics and History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!