Thread: sick days pay

Active TRN Member

Default sick days pay

i have a worker that is always prompt, honest, trustworthy and always gives over 100%. over the last 8 months he has been sick twice and has brought me a note from the local medical clinic upon return to work. i am not sure why though. i have him covered by INSS with the family plan. according to him, i must pay him for the sick day off, only because INSS stipulates so. i have no reason to doubt him, but surely this cannot be so. if it were, there would be healthy people taking a day off, claiming sick, knowing they would be paid. can anyone shed light on this?

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: sick days pay

Can't speak of Nica but can speak of Norwegian regulations.

It might shed some light on your case

Upon getting a sick leave from the local doc, you send/give the note you were given to the employer.
    The employer is responsible for paying the salary but will be refunded by the government when applied for.

Will not jump too far into the matter since I'm not sure of it (and guesses that there's some local matters as well). Most probably the employer has to pay from his/hers pockets for the start of the sickleave (in Norway the employer has to pay for the first 14-16 days).

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If he is sick and brings a Dr.'s note, you MUST pay him the days he was off due to sickness, unless he is a sub-contractor.

INSS pay only applies for prolonged sickness,and even then, INSS pay a portion, the employer pays the rest.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bc_hombre View Post
    i have a worker that is always prompt, honest, trustworthy and always gives over 100%. over the last 8 months he has been sick twice and has brought me a note from the local medical clinic upon return to work. i am not sure why though. i have him covered by INSS with the family plan. according to him, i must pay him for the sick day off, only because INSS stipulates so. i have no reason to doubt him, but surely this cannot be so. if it were, there would be healthy people taking a day off, claiming sick, knowing they would be paid. can anyone shed light on this?

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    If he is sick and brings a Dr.'s note, you MUST pay him the days he was off due to sickness, unless he is a sub-contractor.

INSS pay only applies for prolonged sickness,and even then, INSS pay a portion, the employer pays the rest.

hope this helps.
    thanks for that. the doctor's note is key then. odd, as i had people working for me last year who had days off from illness and never asked for the missed days pay.

Blog Entries

There must be more to the story than this. How many days off must you pay for? What are the limits and details of this "law".

If he knows the law this well, then I would be nervous about this guy.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

True, but maybe those other workers were not aware of the labor laws.

it is always reccomended if you are an employer to pick up a copy ofh the labor laws from MITRAB-Ministerio Del Trabajo, to become familiar with labor laws.

Saludos

thanks for that. the doctor's note is key then. odd, as i had people working for me last year who had days off from illness and never asked for the missed days pay.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    True, but maybe those other workers were not aware of the labor laws.

it is always reccomended if you are an employer to pick up a copy ofh the labor laws from MITRAB-Ministerio Del Trabajo, to become familiar with labor laws.

Saludos
    maybe they had the blue flu and couldn't get a note from the doc. we get used to labour laws wherever we are from and find they are far from universal. good point. i think i would know the labour laws inside out if i were in their shoes also. was able to find on the net that the employer pays the first 4 days of sick leave and inss kicks in on the 5th. thereafter the employer pays 60%. did not give a length of period though. yikes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    There must be more to the story than this. How many days off must you pay for? What are the limits and details of this "law".

If he knows the law this well, then I would be nervous about this guy.
    I am not an expert on anything Nica, but consider myself a pretty good hand at human nature. Most people find out about any legal entitlement like wild fire. If some rich over-privileged gringo can pay to have his work done than he should be able to go all-in, the eyes of the workers. Look in the USA, Everyone of all walks of life knows their rights in regard to employment and housing. It's like they win the lottery by some other person's mistake.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

good on you, that is correct up to 3 months Tom, which is what pregnant ladies get!!!

the employer pays the first 4 days of sick leave and inss kicks in on the 5th. thereafter the employer pays 60%. did not give a length of period though. yikes.

Active TRN Member

Yes, look into the labor laws... sick days, holiday, maternity leave and aquinaldo. Also, when you "fire" someone, they may be entitled to pay based on the length of time employed, even if they are fired for stealing, etc.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marlies View Post
    Yes, look into the labor laws... sick days, holiday, maternity leave and aquinaldo. Also, when you "fire" someone, they may be entitled to pay based on the length of time employed, even if they are fired for stealing, etc.
    Yep it can turn into a cluster F**K against you as well.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

maybe they had the blue flu and couldn't get a note from the doc. we get used to labour laws wherever we are from and find they are far from universal. good point. i think i would know the labour laws inside out if i were in their shoes also. was able to find on the net that the employer pays the first 4 days of sick leave and inss kicks in on the 5th. thereafter the employer pays 60%. did not give a length of period though. yikes.
    That key is most probably hidden in the labour laws under termination of employment/firing people.