Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Friend Fredo

Blog Entries

Default My Friend Fredo

Yesterday I worked my ass off from 5-10 or so coooled off a liitle then bathed and was enjoying some cold refreshment, the phone rang and my World went upside down. Around 10:30 yesterday morning Alfed Quinn was found dead in the Sea.

Fredo was my next door neigbor's son, he turned 30 last week, he was what we here call "not quite righted" not retarded and not really simple, but a little off. Fredo's school career began and ended the first week of kindergarden, he cussed up the teacher was kicked out and never went back, He was not a dumb boy, his Spanish was excellent and I have had many Islanders tell me they wish they could talk like Fredo.

Fredo did all my busy work, every morning he would come and get the days instructions. Send him for beer, groceries, gas, etc... In a big way he is the one that has allowed me to stay home. Yesterday he did not come and I was a bit worried, few hours later I found out why.

Nothing pretty about death and no funeral homes here, the body was brought home. I was there when it arrived the doctor came and did his "inspection" I pointed out the fact that his skull was cracked and most of his teeth knocked out, I got the impression from the Dr and Police on hand that the official cause of death was drowning. Having managed marinas and living on the water most my life I have had the occasion to see some drowned people, even had to dive for a few, never yet seen one with a cracked skull, oh well Corn Island and things are different here.

Dr said he had to be buried now, that was almost noon. So we send a crew to the graveyard with my picks and a few shovels and they dug a hole. We took up a collection and sent up rum for those men. People started showing up at the dead house and I retired to the porch (100 yards away). Preacher came and we had church right there, then on to bury him. During this time we sent out to the plant for ice, he had been in the water awhile and ther was a bit of a smell. The men bathed him in Civil Orange (what we call dead people orange) and put on his last change of clothes.

Just like all the murders that happen here the police won't do shit. Fredo had a lot of friends and the impression I got at the funeral yesterday is that someone is going to suffer badly for this. He was a simple boy, but he was our simple boy.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: My Friend Fredo

Our sympathies for your loss.

Blog Entries

Most murders here are drug related, this one was not, someone killed this simple boy.

I have been out all morning asking questions, as have 10 other men, we will put this puzzle together.

This morning I woke and felt bad, cut some flowers and walked to the graveyard.

Yesterday I could not see it but is morning I did, Fredo got the best spot there was, between wsome othe graves and under a tree.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cookshoe's got a posse! Gonna hand out some Island justice.

Blog Entries

Hey . . . the guy was his friend. That means something. Wouldn't you want to find out what happened if he were a friend of yours?

I don't believe anyone in that part of the world expects 'justice' unless it should just happen to fall from heaven.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn if ya do , and damn if ya don't...

Generaly these things are family settled, as an outsider I would express an opinion, but would keep somewhat detached. It is nasty business and could turn on ya if'n ya ain't carefull.

Sorry about ya friend Cookshoe, ain't nothing anyone can do but the family and get away with it.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Everywhere this boy went he told people he was my brother in law (I never took up with any of his sisters, but maybe a cousin or 2). I am just watching the show play out, some one will pay, the word was handed round yesterday by friends and family.

Fredo was the first person I saw every morning for the last 4 years, this morning I cut some flowers and went to see him, figured it was the leasst I could do.

Yesterday was a hard day and today is not much better.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Hard to explain what this boy was to me, but he was the constant in my life.

The police had 2 people in for questioning last night and I suspect 1 has some more questions to answer. The whole Island is going crazy over this and someone is going to have to answer. I told everyone yesterday to not be foolish, just listen, the talk will come may take a while but it will come.

This poor simple boy.

Yesterday was one of the Longest in my life and today has not been a picnic. I have spent most my life alone but times like this it ain't no good. Neighbor woman just came to see if I wanted her to sleep here tonight and I said yes.

Slept about 5 hours this afternoon, just dog tired my brain feels like it might melt.

I am no stranger to death, but this one is working on me, hard.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Hang in there, bro.

Active TRN Member

So sorry to hear about Fredo, Kev...
    You and I both know, in spite of the immediate anger, nothing will be done... Even if the murderer is discovered, families will defend him, nobody will come forward and testify... especially not the "tres testigos" which are "necessary." The illiterate, under-paid police force has no motivation... it is a personal problem.

Reminds me of my next door neighbor, Yoli, who was shot (just feet away from "our" night guards who didn't see/hear anything). When I went over to the crime scene in the morning, and saw the murderer's exit footprints through the swamp (and bloody mattress, etc), and suggested to the police that maybe they should follow them, they admitted that it was a good idea, but nobody wanted to get their boots dirty! CSI, Corn Island!

The school teacher that was shot and killed in broad daylight by her disgruntled husband in front of many witnesses... the police wouldn't do anything unless the family filed a "denuncia." Of course, nobody would...

Miss Jermain... an eldery, "slow", church woman, dragged from her bed, raped and killed... I took the last picture of her alive performing at a church play... We had a great police chief at this time. Unfortunately, he ripped off some government account and fled the country...

Berto...

Child Molestor ("B.B.") whose family beat up the mom of the abused child... He only went to jail, shortly, because of the non-native doctor who examined the child... Sitting happy on his front porch now...

Just to name a few off the top of my head...

It is a known joke on Corn Island that only one person has ever gone to jail for murder... because he confessed to it (over 20 years ago).

Sorry... his memory will go away... POOF! And soon folks will talk about it as just "something that happened - and nothing more."

Don't stop the Carnival! And... remember, you are living in the safest country in all of Central America!

LOL!
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Blog Entries

Maybe what the local, underpaid law need to enforce the law is a cash incentive. I have read somewhere here where someone had to give the police gas money to investigate some petty crime. What would it cost to see justice done, one way or another?

I think I hear what JW is saying loud and clear though, and I bet he knows what he is talking about. I do know that the way life works, your whole world can be turned upside down by a lax in judgment fueled with emotion and/or alcohol. Maybe making a lot of noise is okay, but that may be the place to stop in a matter as serious as this.

And of course I grieve with you brother from one man to another.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

The one thing that makes this different is no motivation, no drugs, sex, money, etc... I have never seen the people here react like this, this is a strange thing.

Just SOP here Randude, murderers never go to jail. I told everyone to remain calm, and keep there ears open. Some "serious" men are upset about this and I suspect that the guilty one is more than a little worried.

Yesterday and the day before we were able to establish a good timeline and just need a few more details.
    Last edited by cookshow; 06-23-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What it is going to boil down to Cookshoe is if they come to the conclusion about who did it, and more than likely will be right....

Notice here I used the word THEY. I would back off and watch the movie.

My BIL killed a 26 year old man in the park one night at 2 AM in cold blood. My BIL was 14 at the time. They (my inlaws) needed 3500 dollars to make restitution to the family of the man, this is the penality for murder on the DAC. Of course I didn't have the money, but I didn't mention that even if I had I would not have given it. Ain't no need to throw good money after bad.

He (my BIL) went to Tipitapa for 6 years because the family could not get the money up. Came out just as bad if not worse than when he went in. While he was in got knifed with a shank and almost lost his life then. (shame because the basturd is worthless anyway.) But to hear my inlaws tell it, one of the most outstanding Christians to walk this earth right on up there with Christ himself.

I know you were friends, but even if you lived here 100 years you still and outsider, hold ya cards and ya feel ings close, all you gone be able to do is watch anyway, and throw in a private question to chosen one's as they come to ya....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

No worry, my hands will not get dirty, this ain't my deal, just feel bad trying to help out by using reason instead of anger. Went out about 4:30 to see a guy I know, was a friend of Marvin's and is a friend of mine. I know he has some information. He started shaking badly and then shit himself, never said a word, told him I had helped him all I could. The police seem to be making an attempt, they had 2 more in jail last night. One of them I saw, he said he knew nothing about nothing, I whispered a few words in his ears to think about.

Not my dog fight, but I need some questions answered.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cookshoe's name shall henceforth be Gumshoe.

Blog Entries

I can't even begin to tell you about the feeling in my Bario. I ended up spending most of the day on the road asking questions. A friend saw me and said let's go see Nico. Nico and many other old friends were there and thay always make me smile.

We have a good timeline, and i think the guy who shit himself will talk tomorrow and i will be there at 4:30 am to hear it.

There are several little details about his murder and they are real nasty, this simple boy did not deserve this.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I slept last night like I never slept before, just exhausted. Nothing else to do, we are pretty sure who he was with and where he was at. The police have been doing some but these men aren't going to talk. I still need one more talk with shitty pants and my work is done, sit back and watch the circus and man it is a circus.

Some drug business went down yesterday and the police busted up a house, that is something they will investigate $$$$$. Next day new crime, time to move on and wait for the next murder.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Like Marlies said, soon forgotten. Was a huge drug deal last night and the police are busy counting their take, no time for the dead boy. I guess from what I hear they got a load of cash and coke last night, enough to fill a truck.

SOP, lather, rinse, and repeat,.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

With coke deals on the island of that size it must just be a stopping point enroute to the US. The Colombians have huge international mob enfluence and I would not want to be anywhere near that pile of money and coke. The Colombians blow up and kill Judges, cops and even senators in the big city. Getting their goods back from Barney Fife on CI should be no big deal.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

It is all for
    Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    With coke deals on the island of that size it must just be a stopping point enroute to the US. The Colombians have huge international mob enfluence and I would not want to be anywhere near that pile of money and coke. The Colombians blow up and kill Judges, cops and even senators in the big city. Getting their goods back from Barney Fife on CI should be no big deal.
    It is all for States consumption. The Coast just happens to be between Miami and Medellin. Long and complicated story and the internet ain't the place to talk about it Jw, Marlies and a few others understand,
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    It is all for

It is all for States consumption. The Coast just happens to be between Miami and Medellin. Long and complicated story and the internet ain't the place to talk about it Jw, Marlies and a few others understand,
    The (fire)walls have ears ??
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

You think Fredo knew too much, knew about the deal? Or knew about the bust and the police got mad?

Blog Entries

Not being nieve, but I don't think Fredo was mixed up in anything and other than silly talk there is no reason to believe otherwise. I must have talked to over 100 people in 2 days and feel that the findings are solid. You wouild have to know Fredo, not his thing.

Took the dog for a swim this morning, napping on and off this afternoon. One neighbor woman came and cooked for me, some real nice food, someone is on my porch now, have not been out to see who, not in the mood to talk today.

Thanks for the emails and calls, has meant a lot.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Well it only gets better.

I have not been outside since noon or so. Just discovered one boy is on the porch with a machete and another is supposed to be here shortly. I had planned for a man to come tonight so that I can rest, looks like I am well coverered.. The dog is sleeping at my feet and that is plenty securing. I ruffled some feathers yesterday (just like I intended).

Seems like now some Indians are involved and that is the next thing, some crazy shit last night bunch of Indians showed up at the dead boy's mother's house and were going crazy. I am just getting this information and most of it makes no sense. My ass is covered for the moment, I have men I trust watching out for me, and no one I trust more than the dog.

Going to get me a good night sleep and try to rest my head.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

opcorn:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast