Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch of the Day 6-27-2012

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Catch of the Day 6-27-2012

Snook Breath,JW, check these out, went out at 5AM, returned at 15 Mins ago.
    6 huge Red Snappers, about 15 mackls, ohh and did JW mentioned Cobia? ummm I think I caught one,JW please verify it. Some of our snappers went over 20 Lbs.

Enjoy.

Felix
    Attached Images Attached Images

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Catch of the Day 6-27-2012

looks like u had a great day..big congrats

Blog Entries

Wow!

That is some haul!

How deep were you fishing for the snappers?

Not sure about the cobia. Colors don't look right. Cobia are kinda brown with a flat head....easy to think they are sharks. This fish has a yellow stripe on its side if I read the picture right. Some kinda tuna?

I'll do a little research.

Those snappers are beautiful.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not a Cobia that is sure, and can't see it real well in the light, but me thinks it is in the Tuna family by the look of his/her lips... Kiss it and see if Star-Kist Charlie don't answer.

What did you do spill some red food coloring on 'em Grunts and Margates to call them Red Snapper?

Well I am impressed with your short excursion. A full day would be right fair doncha think?

PS think about putting a little something out that works while you doing something else.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    What did you do spill some red food coloring on 'em Grunts and Margates to call them Red Snapper?
    Is that where our red snapper are coming from, red dye number three and grunts?

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    Snook Breath,JW, check these out, went out at 5AM, returned at 15 Mins ago.
    6 huge Red Snappers, about 15 mackls, ohh and did JW mentioned Cobia? ummm I think I caught one,JW please verify it. Some of our snappers went over 20 Lbs.

Enjoy.

Felix
    Yes sir,

Great morning and great pics...thanks for posting

Pp

Blog Entries

Sir,

I believe that is a Rainbow Runner.

Caught one off of Bimini once and took me forever to figure it out.

Suppose to be good eating though I never have.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rainb...w=1440&bih=754

Blog Entries

Very nice! I am assuming those are all good eating fish, but have never had one. Last fish I had in Nicaragua was a Yellow Fin Jack caught off the back of the Pelican Eyes sailboat a few years back. Loved it.

I'm a member of another forum where a guy posted a picture of himself with a 61 pound blue cat he caught on the James River (Virginia?). His last comment was about putting her back for the next person to catch.

Me? I'd rather post a picture of a fish in my hand, and another picture later of that same fish on my plate with a side of slaw and some hush puppies!
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

8 miles out 80 feet deep, 5 mile long rock ledge. using fresh sardines and fresh squid.
    Tom,see if you can buy a pack of Snapper rigs,please.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Wow!

How deep were you fishing for the snappers?.

Blog Entries

You gotta point me (or describe) to a "snapper rig".....and I'll get'em.

Was it a rainbow runner?

Blog Entries

They sell them at bass pro shops, and they are called snapper rigs,or deep drop rig, but you'll see them,snapper rigs, they come like 5 hooks per pack, they come with hook,leader and beads.
    and yes it was a raimbow runner, the mouth does look exactly like a cobia, sure as hell didn't taste like one thou .
    Here ya go:

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...t/17012/104455

You gotta point me (or describe) to a "snapper rig".....and I'll get'em.

Was it a rainbow runner?

Blog Entries

Felix...I googled "snapper rig" and here are a couple of photo's of them.

Is this what you wanted? Wait here is another...

I guess that I could bring a couple but Maria is really gonna be pissed. I was kinda hoping you had some of these already on the boat.

Oh well, I'll do what I can.

Blog Entries

speaking of boats bro, fishing on this side,at least in Casares is "Rustic" remember there is NO dock,and we fish out of 28-32 foot pangas,often times the lunching is rough,but not dangerous,and since you're used to fishing out of Contenders.
    Never mind,the rigs,man,specially if Maria,will get piss,you don't want that,me I could care less,but,you,you want to be on her good side bro,just skip them,we can do without them,I'll bring some myself next time I go,in a couple of months.

Tom, Tom damn, on second thought can u bring a couple of those you posted??? lol
    Last edited by FisherCigarman; 06-27-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Are you using bandits, doing things by hand when everbody can see?

Or are you handlining with Yo-Yo's for line storage or what?.

Forget that store bought shit, you are playing Hard Ball now.

80 feet of water, hand lining try this 1/4 to 1/2 pound sinker 2 to 6 hooks spaced about a foot apart from the sinker on the end, can use a 6" piece of leader wire with an eye in each end or just a heavy piece of Mono the size of a pencil lead for a leader. Japaanese circle hooks well baited with squid, sardines are soft and will not last bit a few nibbles with the smaller fish. The smaller fish make a racket down there while feeding on your bait for a bit. This is what gets the attention of the larger ones so ya need something there that will lsat thru the inital contact with Nemo and ones his size.

When the larger ones hear about it, don't want them getting there to late for the party and all the food and beverages gone to fatten up something you don't even want. They usally come in on your rig like pigs if there is anything left and don't take time to taste, they home in one it with the sense of smell and swallow. so ya want to have about a foot of leader or so off ya main line to let that hook go on down in their stomach's. The hook looks wierd but don't worry, they cannot spit it out. They are your meat by that time.

I have sent down 50 hooks in 1600 feet of water with a 25 pound Lead Cannon Ball sinker and one shot pulled 3800 pounds of Snowy Grouper to the surface, hit that same rock again and in the two assualts I made on it yealded some 5200 pounds of fish. The Red's arn't that big, but often school heavy and every hook counts when ya on the meat...

I will see if I can't draw a picture..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

my captain and 2 mates,were hand lining with 3 hook set up,similar to what you pointed out,I was yo yoing with a heavy a$$ spoon equiped with a heavy trebel,worked well .

Blog Entries

my captain and 2 mates,were hand lining with 3 hook set up,similar to what you pointed out,I was yo yoing with a heavy a$$ spoon equiped with a heavy trebel,worked well .
    I'm a bit confused, spoons are for trowling right? and you were fishing bottom with them? Jigging 'em up and down?

Damn Son if ya had that kinda action to me I would get more hooks on the bottom with bait on short leaders so they can wait a bit till they all fill up, Oh shit I see it happening in my minds eye but hard to put it into words on a short post...

Blog Entries

yes sir, jigging them spoons, when u are on fish,them spoons are lethal,I am sure snook breath has done he's share of spoon jiggin down in the bahamas,the boys,get them going on the baited hooks,my spoon is right next to theirs .
    I don'tr use my spoons for trolling that much,much of my damage comes via Rapala X 30 feet,in color green and mackarel. mackarels,jacks and roosters will destroy them,literally too.

I'm a bit confused, spoons are for trowling right? and you were fishing bottom with them? Jigging 'em up and down?

Damn Son if ya had that kinda action to me I would get more hooks on the bottom with bait on short leaders so they can wait a bit till they all fill up, Oh shit I see it happening in my minds eye but hard to put it into words on a short post...

Blog Entries

Bro,do me a big favor, please elaborate for me on this,I want to make a proto type to try it out. We can soak one on the bottom,while snook breath tries to impress me with his skills .

Damn Son if ya had that kinda action to me I would get more hooks on the bottom with bait on short leaders so they can wait a bit till they all fill up

Blog Entries

Bro,do me a big favor, please elaborate for me on this,I want to make a proto type to try it out. We can soak one on the bottom,while snook breath tries to impress me with his skills .
    Between now and manana this time I will do a bit of googleing and see if there isn't some things on there to paint a better picture. I know there is a Youtube promotional for I think it is Lindgreen-Pittman that has a whole line of long line stuff, surface, mid water and bottom. It can all be done on a down sized scale by hand as well. The Tico's have been doing it for the Mahi-mahi for years in mid to surface water depths.

Bottom rigs are not any different just how they are applied.

Give me a chance, I will get to it..

Blog Entries

Forget that store bought shit, you are playing Hard Ball now.

80 feet of water, hand lining try this 1/4 to 1/2 pound sinker 2 to 6 hooks spaced about a foot apart from the sinker on the end, can use a 6" piece of leader wire with an eye in each end or just a heavy piece of Mono the size of a pencil lead for a leader. Japaanese circle hooks well baited with squid, sardines are soft and will not last bit a few nibbles with the smaller fish. The smaller fish make a racket down there while feeding on your bait for a bit. This is what gets the attention of the larger ones so ya need something there that will lsat thru the inital contact with Nemo and ones his size.

When the larger ones hear about it, don't want them getting there to late for the party and all the food and beverages gone to fatten up something you don't even want. They usally come in on your rig like pigs if there is anything left and don't take time to taste, they home in one it with the sense of smell and swallow. so ya want to have about a foot of leader or so off ya main line to let that hook go on down in their stomach's. The hook looks wierd but don't worry, they cannot spit it out. They are your meat by that time.

I have sent down 50 hooks in 1600 feet of water with a 25 pound Lead Cannon Ball sinker and one shot pulled 3800 pounds of Snowy Grouper to the surface, hit that same rock again and in the two assualts I made on it yealded some 5200 pounds of fish. The Red's arn't that big, but often school heavy and every hook counts when ya on the meat...

I will see if I can't draw a picture..

I could not agree more. Handline with 2-5 hooks baited with squid (only squid). Sardines will be gone instantly to smaller fish. Use circle hooks always.

If you are anchored, throw down a couple of conch shells filled with chum first to get things going.

Blog Entries

Between now and manana this time I will do a bit of googleing and see if there isn't some things on there to paint a better picture. I know there is a Youtube promotional for I think it is Lindgreen-Pittman that has a whole line of long line stuff, surface, mid water and bottom. It can all be done on a down sized scale by hand as well. The Tico's have been doing it for the Mahi-mahi for years in mid to surface water depths.

Bottom rigs are not any different just how they are applied.

Give me a chance, I will get to it..
    About a mile from my house.

Blog Entries

About a mile from my house.
    OK ya ain't gone need any of those fancy snap stuff and all the leader carts and such, but viewing the system will put ya in the frame of mind how it works. The leader carts/spools that are hand cranked can be built for a spool for the main line, or ya can work it out of cut off plastic barrels like done on the big lobster trap boats and they tie their traps to the main line as it spills over the side.

Ya can put loops in the main line and on one end of your Ganjins/Leaders and slip the baited hook thru it and the eye tied on the end of the leader and it is fast, undoing it is just about as fast when retrieveing the gear. That fancy stuff is faster but not critical to producing if you put it on the meat.

Remember this. all the best and fancy and expensive equpt in the world is not worth a shit if it is not put in the right place....

I just got lights now so I will look at videos and put the links on here and comment on the footage as it rolls along. Anyone else want to give your opinion's and input about it...WELCOME there is more than one way to skin a cat, and often someone else might see something I might over look...

Oh BTW before I forget. BAIT is very important in fishing wheather Sport or commerical Don't over look an oppertunity to perhaps produce and sell it as well. Yall got squid gone to bed over there and there is NONE to speak of on this side. There WILL be growing market for it here as the fin fishing on this side increases. WHICH IT WILL without a doubt eventually.

Blog Entries

Christ, When I went here I found just too many to even think about looking at with this slow system.

But these and others are reccomended viewing on the subject.

The old fishermans saying... If ya didn't use a hook ya cheated. I detest fish traps. To date there has not been one invented that will compare in quality and appearance of a hook caught fish. That is where ya market is.

But ya need something working while ya do other things like looking for other prospective bottom, fish got a tail and they gone swim and move in their quest for food and sex.. (none of us are far removed from that same thing, now are we?) Only thing is they use natural shelter so housing is not a big deal.

Ya put a trap and it is hard for them cooped up to not fight and get brused and battered. With fin fish looks are everything next to freshness.

I like the longer ganjions/leaders on the main line and the circle hooks on them 6-8 feet leaders so the fish can move around a bit waiting on you to come back for him. He exzibits less stress to attract a shark that would eat or damage him. plus a bit of space to aviod the attack. Sharks are slow, fish are faster. Sharks just about always hit on fish in destress wheather they are hungry or not.

I have given gear a 10-12 hour soak with little problem in production and damage. And here is another addage: Big hook, Big bait, Big fish, target the sizes ya want with the gear and baits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCRo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niX8-...eature=related

OK and another thought, back during the war days I pirated shrimp on that side in as much as 514 fathoms, humongus amounts of shrimp 60 to 70 miles from shore, what is that 3000 and pico feed deep? You got plenty of bottom to work and you will eventually get to going deeper and further, you can do it in small steps as ya see it pay's off.
    Last edited by Just Plain John Wayne; 06-28-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Blog Entries

One rock the size of a two or three story house can have 3000-5000 # of fish on it at any given time. Ya need to do that in the day time. when you get to pulling them up slowly from the deep their air bladders expand, they spew their guts out the mouth and asshole and their eyes pop all out from the air expanding.

Often others will even start to follow the ones hooked up and will get to a point they cannot turn back down and all of them will blow the surface so ya need to be able to see well and just run around and pick them up. Some of the stomach hooks will turn loose but the fish is going to float anyway, so ya got him if ya can see it floating.

Pulling on board 80 to 100 pound fish is fun as hell...

I think LCT would have a blast with this just like you are going to as well.

As Cookshoe says, "Here, hold my beer and watch this"....

Rather than go deeper the boy's on that side are coming over here on this side where the infrustructure is not as good as over there. What I am telling you is what they are doing over here at present. Putting a short ling line down and then going hand lining, multiplying their efforts. I would not tell ya something too damn experimental that costs plenty time and money which would make your operation less cost effective.

If you follow what is the norm and improve on it as ya see fit, you will not be embarrised so much if a trial does not do so good. You are in the money business, only production pay's off, the rest is bullshit.
    Last edited by Just Plain John Wayne; 06-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh, By the Way....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast