Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catch of the Day 6-27-2012

Blog Entries

Default Re: Catch of the Day 6-27-2012

That second video was excellent. Floats to keep the bait off the bottom (and away from snags) and a bait guard to keep the fish from swallowing the hook.

Very well done.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks bro, GREAT stuff,I'd seen the first video already,I don't think the second one will work on snapper thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Christ, When I went here I found just too many to even think about looking at with this slow system.

But these and others are reccomended viewing on the subject.

The old fishermans saying... If ya didn't use a hook ya cheated. I detest fish traps. To date there has not been one invented that will compare in quality and appearance of a hook caught fish. That is where ya market is.

But ya need something working while ya do other things like looking for other prospective bottom, fish got a tail and they gone swim and move in their quest for food and sex.. (none of us are far removed from that same thing, now are we?) Only thing is they use natural shelter so housing is not a big deal.

Ya put a trap and it is hard for them cooped up to not fight and get brused and battered. With fin fish looks are everything next to freshness.

I like the longer ganjions/leaders on the main line and the circle hooks on them 6-8 feet leaders so the fish can move around a bit waiting on you to come back for him. He exzibits less stress to attract a shark that would eat or damage him. plus a bit of space to aviod the attack. Sharks are slow, fish are faster. Sharks just about always hit on fish in destress wheather they are hungry or not.

I have given gear a 10-12 hour soak with little problem in production and damage. And here is another addage: Big hook, Big bait, Big fish, target the sizes ya want with the gear and baits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCRo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niX8-...eature=related

OK and another thought, back during the war days I pirated shrimp on that side in as much as 514 fathoms, humongus amounts of shrimp 60 to 70 miles from shore, what is that 3000 and pico feed deep? You got plenty of bottom to work and you will eventually get to going deeper and further, you can do it in small steps as ya see it pay's off.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    That second video was excellent. Floats to keep the bait off the bottom (and away from snags) and a bait guard to keep the fish from swallowing the hook.

Very well done.
    Penchey Gringo...

Well they, the product yall will be hunting ARE BOTTOM FEEDERS not your average Air Head of the Human species. They don't give a crap about eating off the floor. Had a hard time with one of my sons about that, but we worked it out. I won't mention how, but we did work it out.

I would not complicate it or make it more cost per pound by doing it.

Ya can get the stomach hook out easily with a gutting knife, that has to be done anyway, the gutting of the fishes.

Catching a fish on the lips is going to result in higher percentages of lost fish, they will bleed attracting predetors or tear out. a circle hook swallowed is by far the best I have seen for that not happening so much.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

If your goal is to kill any fish (including undersize and wrong species) that touches your bait then you are correct.

My goals is to NOT kill everything in the ocean and then wonder where all the fish went and wonder how did I go broke.
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 06-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries

If your goal is to kill any fish (including undersize and wrong species) that touches your bait then you are correct.

My goals is to NOT kill everything in the ocean and then wonder where all the fish went and wonder how did I go broke.
    Come on LCT, I will repeat myself. Gear size and baits are used to "Target" species and size. That cannot be done so well with traps. It is still being worked on, but leaves a lot to be desired, the quality of the catch is also the pits from the traps. Undersized Snapper for instance cannot be caught so well with gear targeted to much heavyer sized fish. Would ya use a 30.06 to kill Iguanas or Possums? Not cost effective right?

Besides, there are size limits here, and undersized fish bring so little that from a money making stand point... Not worth the hassle.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Did I say anything about using traps? Traps suck.

"Target species and size"? You mean like putting out a long line with squid for bait "targeting" swordfish, and catching, killing, and throwing away sailfish and marlin?

All I am saying is that some simple conservation techniques can keep juvenile fish and non commercial species populations alive and healthy for the benefit of all.

Blog Entries

Tom,I brought down a few Dorado Rigs,but lost them to HUGE Sierra Macs,could you bring a few,Dorados are scattered in 4-8 miles out in as shallow as 50 feet,saw one yesterday about 3 miles out,40 feet of watter,zipping by,then jump after a flying fish,could have easily been a 20+ fish.

Bring a few of them rigs(ballyhoo) we'll can use a squid or a fresh sardine.

"Target species and size"? You mean like putting out a long line with squid for bait "targeting" swordfish, and catching, killing, and throwing away sailfish and marlin?

All I am saying is that some simple conservation techniques can keep juvenile fish and non commercial species populations alive and healthy for the benefit of all.

Blog Entries

on my side,no worries about sails or marlins on long lines,and even if some of the above mentioned fall to some of the drifting long lines they use here to target Dorados, over here NOTHING gets trown out,EVERYTHING gets either sold or eaten.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    Tom,I brought down a few Dorado Rigs,but lost them to HUGE Sierra Macs,could you bring a few,Dorados are scattered in 4-8 miles out in as shallow as 50 feet,saw one yesterday about 3 miles out,40 feet of watter,zipping by,then jump after a flying fish,could have easily been a 20+ fish.

Bring a few of them rigs(ballyhoo) we'll can use a squid or a fresh sardine.
    I assume you mean single hook ballyhoo rigs for trolling? No problem!

I may have a couple of plastic hoo's around here too.

Blog Entries

exactly!! Thanks,just make sure u don't bring just one,that would give u an unfair advantage wouldn't it?

I assume you mean single hook ballyhoo rigs for trolling? No problem!

I may have a couple of plastic hoo's around here too.

Blog Entries

LCT, I don't know enough on the Billfish problems to comment, But I do agree with ya about needless killing of the fish when a release would be the correct moral thing to do.

Those coward badasses are in all walks of life and professions. I feel that if one or two was to be heavly prosicuted for doing it would be outstanding. I know only a few would get caught at it, but make the ones that did get caught at it pay for the sins of the ones that didn't get caught.

The targeted fish, Swoardfish, and Tuna are desired to be captured alive to be bled, and more than likely the ones that are considered "Sport Fish" would come aboard the same way. There is no reason the fish should not be released in that situation.

So ya see, sane people are saying the same things, just fighting about it. It only takes a bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.....

BTW, NOAA, the National Marine Fisheries "Service" and the PEW all sound like catshit when I hear those no nothings talking about something they are supposed to know about and don't know their ass from first base....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12