Thread: Inquiry: cost of construction per square meter

Default Inquiry: cost of construction per square meter

Hello,

Can anyone provide a current rough estimate of the cost per square meter for construction of a house? The location is Nandaime. Much appreciation.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Inquiry: cost of construction per square meter

Wow, that question is wide open....

Depends on how lujo you make it and weather you gone be your own contractor or put it in somebody else's hands.

Blocks are 16 cordobas each on this side. and sorry quality, better quality on a special order.

Re-bar is 1400 cords a quental

cement is 270 cords a quental

plastering is 28 cords a square meter

laying the blocks I cannot remember because I do that myself, perhaps about 10 cords a block.

mixta of rock and sand, or sand is 1400 cords a load, damn, can't remember what is the yardage in a load but it is shoulder high and about 10-12 feet around.
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Heihachi View Post
    Hello,

Can anyone provide a current rough estimate of the cost per square meter for construction of a house? The location is Nandaime. Much appreciation.
    There is a company here that does valuations for the banks, and there is a wide spead in valuations from

$200 sq meter to $500 sq meter....depending on design and how "western" for want it to be , ie AC with insulation..

Let me compare cost vs USA

Here is what is lower

Crushed rock, sand, cement tiles, labor, engineering

Here is what is the same..base price of cement, but if buying small amounts less then 50 bags, it can be higher because of distribution cost

High prices are: copper wire, steel, insulation, drywall, Densglass,

Words of warning :

A. Verify materials, example if plans call for 1/8th steel, some contractor will use 3/32th from China
    B. do purchasing yourself
    C. Verify bill of materials, example that you really need those 75 sheets of drywall
    D. The electric outlets, switches, GFI switches are not available, so I bring from USA as switched here are poor quality
    E. After 5 years, I do not do construction unless I am on job site and I act as general contractor
    F. Be careful about buying cement blocks, some smaller producers are using less cement that standard.
    G. Doors...be careful and be sure wood used was kilned dried

In the design phase be sure you have considered proper drainage to handle the rain..

Have all materials properly received and in a locked storage area....along with all tools ( tools are very expensive and a lot of knockoffs here, buy Milwaukee Tools and again bring them down..no problem

It may seem minor but buy the wood screws in USA as they will use sheet rock screws.

PP

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heihachi View Post
    Hello,

you are in a good location to take advantage of lower costs on sand(ochomogo), concrete blocks and slabs(jinotepe), cement(factory in jinotepe) and volcanic rock, should the need come up. i think in square feet, sorry. nica style construction is about $25-30 a square. upper end starts at $60-120. alternate construction for a 900 square foot on 2 floors cost me $32 a square foot using better than average materials. you did not mention if you are subbing yourself or having it built. in any event, if you have a pickup, you can save dollars. buenas suerte.

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by bc_hombre View Post
    you are in a good location to take advantage of lower costs on sand(ochomogo), concrete blocks and slabs(jinotepe), cement(factory in jinotepe) and volcanic rock, should the need come up. i think in square feet, sorry. nica style construction is about $25-30 a square. upper end starts at $60-120. alternate construction for a 900 square foot on 2 floors cost me $32 a square foot using better than average materials. you did not mention if you are subbing yourself or having it built. in any event, if you have a pickup, you can save dollars. buenas suerte.
    Cement near Nandaime is currently selling for C205 per quintal (aprox US$ 8.65). The price of cement in Nicaragua goes up and down like a yoyo!

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Cement near Nandaime is currently selling for C205 per quintal (aprox US$ 8.65). The price of cement in Nicaragua goes up and down like a yoyo!
    i should have bought stock 3 years ago when it was c140

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Allow $20/sf or $200/m2 to give you the basics. add another 50 to 100% to finish it out and make it comfy. By this rule of thumb, a 1000sf house should cost between 20 and 40 k. Considerable money can be saved by building crap or skimping on structural integrety.

This is house only, not security wall, any large utility costs, garage. landscaping, hardscaping, soft costs, etc.

Blog Entries

Default bigger is better

Above I mentioned $20/sf as an entry level, but I didn`t make it clear that that just gets your foot in the door. Plan on much more if you are planning on being here full time or long time. Even the great Thoreux only lived in his shack for a year!

Another thing is size--a cute little house may seem nice, but in reality in the long run you want Bigger is Better. It`s really nice to have a guest room and not live like a Nica and move the kids out of their bedroom every time somebody comes to stay. Likewise, as you develop hobbies and what not you need space for them--secure, rat-proof, cow -proof space free from prying eyes from the street. IAlso, in the humid climate with mold and rats, etc., it is best to have big rooms where you can spread things out. Stateside, big houses are loosisng favor because of the cost to heat and coolñ them. Here, this is not such a big factor, especially at the mid and higher elevations.

Another thing is roofed areas. It is nice to live somewhere where it is not 117 in the shade and there is no shade or to not have to worry about pipes freezing in the winter, but for year round, full-time use the climate here is far from perfect. Heat, insects, sun, wind, and blowing rain make it less-than-perfect much of the time. In general, do not expect the comfort you would have in coastal southern California-not by a long shot. The partial fix for this is to have roofed areas on at least 2 sides of your house so you can move around and stay comfy at least part of the time. The more the better. This also gives you some work space for hobbies or rainy day chores.

The high cost of electricity here makes AC a real budget buster, but even at the 850 Meter level there are a lot of really miserably hot days here, usually 30c, 80%rh, and no wind. Even if you have more windows than the typical Nicaraguan house, it gets very unpleaesant in the house, Fans in each room help. the last house I lived in in AZ had ceiling fans in each major room, which would probably be a good idea here too, although with the goofy construction I will probably have to bring in a welder to build something to hang the fans from. Next project up would be to AC one room for when I want some modicum of comfort to work better or to use as a sick room in case of illness or injury.

What I am trying to point out is that longterm comfort and security doesn`t come cheap. What seems like Great Fun and Adventure the forst year gets old quickly and you should plan on spending more on your house than some people would estimate.

Blog Entries

More roofed space, I have told that to everyone that has asked my opinion on building over here. My "house' is 400s/f + a 200s/f porch, doing it again I would do the opposite. I am ok with a small house, I live outside, the more porch the better. Over here we get weather from about every direction depending on the time of the year. You need a place to hang laundry, do busy work, etc and be out of the rain/wind and for the hot days be able to hang the hammock in the prevailing winds of the day.

A/C would eat you alive here, but for most 1 really well insulated small bedroom with a/c would probably be worth it for some times of the year. Mold and mildew can be an issue in wet months so good ventilation is a must. Here I have a concern for Tropical Weather so I don't have any trees directly shading my house, but 2 I have planted are going to be a little close for comfort, passive cooling is King, I can already tell the difference here, plus I am better acclimated than I once was. Breeze moves through shaded areas (and cooler air) in route to my house.

I spent nearly 6 months sitting or standing on every inch of this 3 acres, kept coming back to the same spot for a building site, the last place on the land I would have ever chose had I just walked up and picked a spot. Location, Location, Location.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    More roofed space, I have told that to everyone that has asked my opinion on building over here. My "house' is 400s/f + a 200s/f porch, doing it again I would do the opposite.
    i was going to do an open palapa for a living room and closed spaces for 2 bedrooms....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

I, too, could justify more roofed space than house, especially on our little country place. It is 36 m2 plus a 12m2 covered patio. The house is just big enough to be annoying when we have a sopa or something there and the patio is not big enough. To do it over again, I would have a 12m2 bedroom and 50 m2 patio roof with an outdoor kitchen. That way all of the get-togethers would be outside. Plan is to eventually add 12 to 18 m2 of covered patio to each of 2 more sides.

Blog Entries

``I spent nearly 6 months sitting or standing on every inch of this 3 acres, kept coming back to the same spot for a building site, the last place on the land I would have ever chose had I just walked up and picked a spot. Location, Location, Location.`

Siting is really important, even on a small lot. Drainage may be consideration number one. On our country place I put the house on the high part of the lot. Since I built the house 18 inches above grade, it really doesn`t matter. It probably would have been better to have put the house on the low part of the lot because by the time I got thru adding balastre and trenching the property it is all the same level. The low spot would have been a more direct shot from the vehicle entrance. Balastre and selecto are great stuff, and generally a one-time expense. Well worth it.

I didn`t listen attentively enough to the neighbors when they casually mentioned something about wind. My goof-- from dec to feb there is a very annoying wind from the NE. If I had known that I would have put the louse on an angle to the front of the lot with the outdoor rec area on the SW side of the house. Only fix now is to add a tall wall to divert the wind around the back of the house.

On the house in town we bilt on the high ground, and good thing because we have flooding problems caused by the actions of others on 2 sides. The house is high enough, but the front yard floods so now we are backtrakcing and building it up. Better plan would to have been to have just built the whole lot up 18 inches, not just the house. Again, balastre and selecto are great stuff. Don`t be surprised if you buy 20 or more 6 m2 truckloads to build a small house on a small lot.

Big trees are another thing. We just pruned the ones on our back property line from 10 to 4 meters, with a goal of keeping them at the 5 to 6 meter level. We did it out ouf fear for hurricane winds. I miss the shade, but that is why the gods invented zin and shade cloth. One bonus is that we now have less insect habitat and less ``drip``. With the big trees, water dripped on our roof for hours after every little rain. Chinese water torture, Nicaraguan style. Incredibly quieter without the big trees.

Live and learn, if you think you are going to bat 1000% around here you are crazier than the average bear.

how about this for a living room:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

HaimHype

Default owce minecraft chicago web design company

If you really want your Kitchen, bathroom or perhaps basement then you certainly must only utilize the very best contactor in Winetka. guaranteed seo So together with your selected Winetka remodeling - kitchen bathroom basement company, you're certain they can supply you with the very best service which you deserve.

HaimHype

Default owce minecraft chicago web design

In Winetka it is truly necessary to select the best kitchen bathroom remodeling services. Addison bathroom remodeling So with your selected Winetka remodeling - kitchen bathroom basement company, you're sure they can supply you with the very best service which you deserve.

HaimHype

Default golem minecraft chicago web design companies

In case you want your Kitchen, bathroom or even basement then you certainly must only utilize the very best contactor in Winetka. Glencoe il remodeling Getting the most effective Winetka remodeling- kitchen bathroom basement will give you the very best result which you definitely should have.

HaimHype

Default golem minecraft chicago web design

If you're in Winetka, you will need to get the best service provider to do business with your kitchen/bathroom renovation. bathroom remodeling Oak Park So with your picked Winetka remodeling - kitchen bathroom basement company, you are sure that they can supply you with the very best service which you deserve.

HaimHype

Default żelazny golem minecraft chicago web design company

For the kitchen or bathroom renovation projects, definitely you should get a service provider in Winetka which won?t provide you with anything less. basement remodeling Niles So along with your selected Winetka remodeling - kitchen bathroom basement company, you are sure that they can provide you with the best service that you deserve.