Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dengue in Nicaragua

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dengue in Nicaragua

there are different malaria pills for different areas. The one you took is for CR and north. I never took them here because I found out malaria is quite rare in the norcentral area.

When I was in the central highlands of Vietnam I took some malaria pill regularly. In fact, I had to track down the medic and ask for them. Meanwhile, people were falling over around me and when they came back from the hospital 2 weeks later they looked like crap warmed over. If you are going to a high risk area, get the pills. For most travel to Nic they are not necessary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    3-4 stool samples in 48 hous or less is what I was told.

You used to always hear that there in no Malaria in Nicaragua, but I here it mentioned in radio ads time to time. Don't know anyone here that has had it.

My understanding of Dengue is that a mosquito bites an infected person, then bites another person, infecting them. I believe this because when it hits a Barrio it spreads like wildfire, then a week later it is further down the road. I seldom sleep under a mosquito bar, but when Dengue is in town I wrap right up tight.

I never took any medicine when I had it just drank lots of fluids and stayed in bed, there is a medicine called Dengue something available in all the pharmacy, guessing just something to ease the pain.

Last time it went around here the hospital was overflowing with elderly and babies.
    I think it would take a month to get 3-4 samples from some of the people on here
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default source of Dengue found...

I was out spraying for zancudos again today and found the source of most of the current zancudos--the Enecal water leak that has been runniing water down the street for the last 4 months. So I mixed up an extra gallon and sprayed the street. Nothing new--based on 2 of the 3 neighborhoods I have lived in in Esteli, most of the zancudo habitat is on Municipio land or due to Enacal leaks.<br><br> Ever wonder what happens when you can the number on the back of your water bill? About the 3rd time the folks in Managua tell you that they have little concern for what the campesinos up north are doing! And what happens when you call the local number? The great big oversized truck from Taiwan (Thanx, Taiwan, what would Nic do without foreign aid?)) rolls up with the crew with no tools and no parts and then they go away.<br><br>Plan is next time I`m in civilization I will pick up a submersible pump. I think a little one about 1/6 HP would be about right to pump down Lago Enacal without stirring up too much sentiment. My bananas could use the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

A neighbor was telling me about tons of mosquitoes in a swampy area just a few hundred yards away, they had been in there getting guava and said they all got ate up, here by my house I have never seen so few as I have this year (knocking on wood), we had over 20 inches of rain last month so you kinda expect them. Last night I was laying in bed and trying to remember if I have even slept under the mosquito net this year, seems like maybe early in the year, but not in a long time.

Last week a neighbor thought 2 of her kids might have Dengue, but I think they decided it was just some short lived bug that has been going around, they were only out of action a day or 2.

Yesterday I had the local radio station on all day and heard some Minsa ads advising about mosquito prevention and like I have said they come by at least once or twice a year, house to house, giving people information and pointing out problem spots. Maybe they are making a difference, when I first started coming here it seems like every year there was an outbreak, but the past few years you just hear about a few people getting it.

Friday, Minsa was going around giving out dog shots, of course just last month the volunteer vets were here doing the same, but I am sure Minsa found some dogs that did not reach the clinics. Twice this year already I have seen they have come house to house to immunize babies, small children, and the elderly, they find their way up here in the Bush so they are making a strong effort.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Take all the proper precautions, you know what they are. I would certainly sleep under a net myself. Getting sick is no fun and will sap all your strength away.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

I have a fan just 2 feet from the bed it blows across me and that works (as long as there is electric) also am always covered in at least a light sheet, anytime they get bad I hang the net, just takes a few minutes. Nets are hot to sleep under and are a pain if you have to get up a lot (barking dogs), if you are set in for the night and have a good fan than a net is the way to go, also keep bugs and geckos from falling on you in the night. A gecko falling on you (and they fall all the time) will scare you, something you never get used to, especially if it lands on your forehead.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I would think that having some predators in the house (lizards etc) would help to keep the bugs down.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

Dozens of geckos in my house, they are everywhere here, other than crapping everywhere (another reason people sleep under a net) and their occasional barking they are welcome guest. I will snap a pic one of these nights when they are gathered up around the light.

During the day they sleep on the rafters, looking up right now I can see the tails of 2 right above me without looking far.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Seems there is some Dengue going around the Island. One woman from the States,living here went to Vivian Pellas in MGA, low platelet count, dehydrated, etc, they say it is Dengue and I would have to trust their diagnosis.

I continue to be surprised (and elated) by the small # of Mosquitoes I am seeing around my place,especiallly with all the rain we have had, standing water is everywhere.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I continue to be surprised (and elated) by the small # of Mosquitoes I am seeing around my place,especiallly with all the rain we have had, standing water is everywhere.

I have noticed the same thing here, I think the larva are getting washed away before they have a chance to fully develop. Just an opinion is all not one single bit of fact to back it up...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

You may be right. I try to fill in any puddles on my place and if this new dog would stop digging holes I would be ok, but all around me there is standing water, like I said I continue to be amazed that we are not covered up in mosquitoes.
    Ernie K Doe

Dengue vaccine is supposed to be available in 2013, but the "fourth strain" will probably be what we happen to have in Nicaragua:

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...e-vaccine.html

There are 4 types of dengue. If you get one type, you typically get the fever and rash and then recover. After that you are resistant to that type. However, if you get one of the other three strands, that is when you are much more likely to get the hemorrhagic form of the disease.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12