Thread: Boat no Come

Blog Entries

Default Boat no Come

My shipping guy in MGA is meticulous, absolutely the best. The boat he ships on was involved in a small scandal and is running a few days late. I went to the wharf today to try and get some news, nearly bought a pig, ate some ice cream and got some unsettling news. Maybe the boat come manana, maybe not. I have 3 large boxs of things I badly want.

Life on an Island, always waiting for something.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Boat no Come

Would you please describe the process of buying stuff in Managua and getting it to Corn Island.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Buy shit. Call the man or deliver it to him. A few days later you go fight with the people on the boat to get you shit. Just that simple. Really is just that simple, one of the few things here that works in a way you would expect things to work.

My guy is a few miles from the airport so he is always my last stop in MGA. When I get stuff to him by noon on Wednesday it is usually (BUT NOT TODAY) in my house by midday Friday.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

When I was in MGA Igot a call asking me if I had heard what happened, I had not been with any Costenas in several hours so I had not heard. A 14 yr old boy had gone miissing off one of the boats, I have been told the body came ashore off Monkey Point late yesterday afternoon.

One thing about living on an Island, just like a small town, you almost always know the people..
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Tom, the shipping is the easiest thing, the pain in the ass is retrieving it, paying people to unload it, paying people to carry it 5 feet to where you can handle it yourself..

I have some hardware I could use today in the boxes, the majority of the rest is groceries.

There are several shipping option, but I have used this guy since day one and have no reason to look anyone else. He used to use any boat (there were fewer then) and that could turn into a pain in the ass, never knowing who had your stuff, now he only uses one boat and you are in luck because it leaves here on Saturdays (usually) and overnights at the LCI dock. Before you would have had to pay to unload and load here and then onward to LCI.

The shipper can also buy for you, just deposit money in his account to cover the costs, and if needed he can put stuff on the plane. Really is a well oiled machine, of course it all costs $$$.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cool....I assume the shipper speaks English?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Cool....I assume the shipper speaks English?
    Fluently, he can say Hello.

Not a lick of English. Not really much to talk about, here is my shit, send it to me in Corn Island. You should hear it when I call him on the phone, that is good comedy. Often times I have things too big to carry in a cab and have to call him to retrieve whatever in the Hell it is that I have purchased, somehow it always works out.

There is an English speaking option, an Islander that lives in MGA, but I have always used this guy, never a problem.
    Ernie K Doe

When you buy something big that needs to be transported I'd recommend getting 2 receipt copies with the business name / address, 1 for you and 1 for transporter. Take a picture of the item you bought, and a picture of the business you bought it from. Meet the transporter and hand over the receipt and show the pictures until everyone is saying yes.

Blog Entries

What I have always done when needing the shipper to pick up an item (stove, fridge, roof zinc) is to have the seller make a copy of the receipt, give one to shipper, just like you say. Never had any problem with that.

Having some of the shippers cards or phone #'s to leave is also a good idea.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Would you please describe the process of buying stuff in Managua and getting it to Corn Island.
    LTC,
    I think I can help you..Please follow these steps to ensure delivery .

A. Buy KIA one ton truck...used maybe $7,000
    B. Drive to Mayasa and stop at On-the-Run..buy $150 of diesel
    C. Stop at market, buy two hammocks for driver and worker
    D. Return to On-The-Run, to buy another $140 of diesel as your tank was drained buying hammocks
    E. where truck dies on way back to Managua, buy new transmission, battery, fuel pump...do not worwhat one have a clue what the problem is but by elimination they well solve it..
    F. You are ready to shop...at least two days, running around Managua...negotiate HARD...only to find out ..they do not have the item...or never had had the item
    G. Fully loaded...on to Rama...maybe hope you do not miss the boat
    H.. On the boat after a minor 12 hour wait...lots of cold beer on hand
    I . Almost there...well to Bluefields...crack staff guarding boat...when awake
    J. Crap missed the right letters of alphabet !!
    K.on thE BIG boat to Corn Island after reloading FDC in Bluefields
    L...when arriving on Big Corn...call Kevin..."Hey, Man, your problem

Blog Entries

Whew!

Thanks...why did I think it would be complicated?

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

F. You are ready to shop...at least two days, running around Managua...negotiate HARD...only to find out ..they do not have the item...or never had had the item
    Definitely my FAVORITE part!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."