Thread: bye bye condega

Default bye bye condega

These vacations to condega are a blessing to the body and to the soul.
    The slow pace and the laughter spent with family and friends is wonderful.
    People I work with think I an crazy but I think I have found paradise.
    I hate to leave and I am looking forward to the next trip.
    my little girl

Active TRN Member

Default Re: bye bye condega

have a safe and good trip back..glad u enjoyed it

Thanks. I am really hoping for another trip the last week of December. New years eve is allot of fun.
    my little girl

Is the bridge over the Rio Estelí east of Condega still out?

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Is the bridge over the Rio Estelí east of Condega still out?
    Not sure I know the one you are talking about.
    If it on the pan am then no
    North of condega on the dirt road on the right this bridge is passable but it was out
    My nephews say this is the road to san diego
    my little girl

Bridge is at 13 22 33.03 & 86.23.11.96. Road to the NE leaves the Pan Am north of Condega proper, passes a beneficio on the left. It's the only access route for quite a few people to the east of Condega.

I think this is the one we rode bikes to. It is passable but it is a one lane bridge
    The swing bridge is gone
    my little girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQPVy3mR2c

if you can open this let me know if this is the place you are talking about.
    my little girl

Could open video but couldn't tell for sure. There USED to be a suspension foot bridge to the south, and another bridge to the south (pilings are still there, but it didn't last long), and finally the "new" bridge.

They'll have to fix it eventually. The east side is all sand; they need to bring in some truckloads of big rocks to stabilize the bank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The video calls it puente P A S O real
    It did have a foot bridge
    my little girl

Blog Entries

I took this opportunity to read a little about Condega. It sounds interesting, quaint, and with some history. Would have never known had I not read this thread. thanks
    Survivor

My job is so demanding and stressful that condega is like medicine

I spend a couple weeks a year
    Usually once we get their we stay there till time to leave. Sometimes we go to estelli but that is it

you are right. Allot of history.
    The people are so nice. I have never had any problems
    I use all the little shops too. Like is I need a tool or something cut or drilled.

Also the smell of tobacco is very strong in the center of town. Smells like candy.

Another friend of mine makes leather products. He is very gifted.
    Allot of the little crafts that are sold are made their. The wood products and pottery products.

I ever saw on the net that wine is made their. I have not seem it just read about it
    my little girl

I concur with your description of Condega. Good little business town, friendly people. Nice church too, active congregation. Very musical. The Condega church ministers to the small Negro Cristo church in Venecia. Padre Simone and his acolyte Santos are the principals.

The guy making wine is named Ruben. I've met him, but he had already sold out so I can't speak to the quality of his product. He grows table grapes, and takes the grapes that get damaged by the birds, or otherwise not suitable for sale, and turns those into wine. So, you're not going to get a pinot noir or a mourvedre. I was going to try to grow some varietals at my place if I can get the cuttings into the country.

The four or five teachers who teach at the school in Venecia live in Condega and make the trip every day. The road goes from very good after it gets fixed in Nov-Dec, to impossible. Because of the people walking, horses, ox carts, it's never fast. One of the teachers bought a small pickup and they are using that to get back and forth. When I first met them, they would take the bus from Condega to the Yalí enpalme, and then walk the 7 KM to the school. That's actually how I met them them, giving them lifts.

When the bridge over the Rio Estelí washed out recently, they had to camp out in Venecia.

We'll have to hook up once I'm down there more permanently (end of this year).

Blog Entries

When you make wine you are supposed to use your best fruit, not the leftovers. Table grapes and wine grapes are not the same. You can make wine with anything that has sugar in it, but it will not have character.

Wine grapes are hard to grow for several reasons. When I tried to grow Pinot Noir from Salem Oregon in Washington state, they didn't turn out right. It is an art and a science. You have to have the specific heat units in a climate during the season to get the acid:sugar ratio correct for a given wine. You can get cuttings from a vineyard that produces the best wine you ever drank, put it on local root stalks to keep it alive, and something in your climate will likely alter the sugar:acid ratio and the wine will not be the same as what you were getting from the vineyard. That is one of the reasons I moved to Oregon. It is some of the best wine in the world, in my opinion. When it comes to satisfying my thirst for wine my opinion is all that matters lol.
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I was going to try to grow some varietals at my place if I can get the cuttings into the country.
    There's a family in Camoapa that has something close to 100 manzanas in grapes, many that they brought from France and Italy. The last time I tasted the "wine" was at least two years ago -- pretty rough stuff but had potential. You might be able to get some cuttings from them. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig out the contact details for you.
    When it's all said and done, there's nothing left to say or do... ~~~Where's MY spy camera?~~~

I didn't know that there was anyone growing wine grapes in Nicaragua seriously. It's true, conditions, soils, are better in some places than others, but a lot of people are making some decent wine, and all over the world. Some is better, but a lot of it is very drinkable. Condega is at 1800 feet, my place is double that. Who knows (like CookShow) until you try?

I remember a vineyard in Greece, vines trained into "baskets" a few inches above the ground to withstand the constant and hot wind. Years and years ago I met an Israeli guy growing grapes using that new technology (at the time) -drip irrigation. I have some pinot noir growing in my backyard in Idaho, but my efforts to turn them into wine has produced a product I wouldn't personally drink. Maybe this year. There ARE a few vineyards in Idaho making some decent wine, even winning the occasional award.

Yeah, I'd love to hook up with your friends. 100 Mz, that's a serious committment.