Thread: Remembering Granada

Default Remembering Granada

I took a trip to Granada today (Tuesday Aug 14th). On the microbus ride from the UCA (C$22), a young woman sat next to me in the back seat and promptly fell asleep—resting her head on my shoulder. It was cute, and (although it may be a fluke) it gives me hope that maybe I don’t look as scary to Nicaraguans now that I’m clean cut and shaven.
    I shaved my candado yesterday, just to try something new. Plus, it was getting itchy.
    I’m once again sitting in the fort/dock in Granada at the base of the calle calsada. The last time I sat here and took my time was two trips ago. I noticed a strange insect that time with what appears to be white moss of its back. As I sit here, I see ants and flies and all sorts of insects that are strange to me. As soon as I sat down, they seemed to fall from the trees onto me. I don’t know if they are always falling from the trees, or if they waited all morning for me to come by.
    One my last trip, I came through here, but I didn’t stop to drink in the area. I was on a schedule; I had a ferry to catch to Ometepe. I had just fast walked down the calsada with a 50 pound pack with my younger brother in tow. This time, the walk was far more enjoyable. For one thing, I wasn’t packing anything more than a notebook and a bottle of water this time. For another, I took my time, and there is a nice breeze cooling me off.
    There are several large white birds parked on the pier. They have long necks that hook and collapse back on themselves when they want to. I’m not sure what they are; my first guess was stork or crane. As I walked down calle calsada, I saw many pigeons (white and grey) hanging out on the old churches. Pigeons and old architecture just seem to belong together.
    As I sit here in on a well shaded bench, I am sweating a little, but only along my hair line. This is a peaceful spot to do some writing. It’s quite here today, because there is no ferry. I have the whole place to myself, except the guards.
    Colcibolca has a feel and a smell. I can barely make out the lake if I sit up straight and look over the wall, but I can sense it. There’s a heaviness or thickness to the air.
    Granada evokes the past and present. History seeps out of the churches, the bridges, and the rusted cannons. While the swarming insects, the birds, the dense foliage, and the sharp smalls snap the mind back to the immediacy of the now. It’s no wonder so many poets and writers picked Granada as their muse.
    I don’t feel the future here. It’s a place of memory and nostalgia, a place of life. It says to me, “Tomorrow can wait. Come, sit, and lose yourself for a while.”
    I see many great dating opportunities in Granada. There’s the isletas, there’s Mombacho, there’s plenty of old churches and art to enjoy. Plus, I just saw a couple of tourists pass by in a horse drawn carriage. That could be romantic.
    I cannot help but feel transported to when I was here 15 years ago, right before I moved to Masaya. I’ve been back a few times since then, and I’ve looked, but I’ve never found the house where I lived back then. I tried Google Earth originally, but it was slow to show Granada.
    I’ll head over to that neighborhood next to try my luck again. The area might not be safe, but it’s the middle of the day, and I’m not carrying anything worth stealing. My memories are still sharp, but if too much has changed, this could take some work…
    Well, I found many of the exact roads I walked 15 years ago. I followed the lake shore to the left (if you face the lake at the base of calle calsada). Many of these lake-side roads are just dirt, and they often have a hemmed in feel. I felt my radar ping a few times as I made my way; there are several great spots to ambush people along those roads.
    I eventually made it up to an old school or university—that looks as old and broken down as many of the churches in Granada. I turned perpendicular to the lake shore when I got to this ruin, because I recognized it, and I knew I was close.
    Classes were out, or in transition, because there were dozens of pitufos (smurfs) walking down the same road. I walked along with the group and got a few odd looks.
    I turned right on the first large road after the ruin and then an active school, and then I followed that road down until… Here I ran into a problem. 15 years ago, I would follow the rows of houses on my right until I reached an open field, and then turn right again to get to my place (only 3 or 4 houses from the corner). Now, there is no field.
    I asked around, and the people there told me that around 15 years ago many of these houses went up, but nobody could remember exact which row of houses were there and which weren’t in ’97. I walked up and down every row anyway looking for the familiar outer gate with the steps up to a landing with a door on the left, but no house was familiar.
    Someone must have changed the face of the house as well. Once again, I am faced with failure. Too many things have changed in this part of Granada in 15 years. Still, it was fun to see familiar landmark, familiar streets, and to know that I was at least in the correct vicinity.
    Ahh Granada, what a place to remember.
    Soy el chele mono.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Remembering Granada

Great story - Again..

Next to Masaya, Granada would be my most walked city .

On my first visit in '04 I remember reading (with a twinge of satisfaction) the sign on the quad baseball field close to the lake and how it was helped / funded / etc by Lions clubs in Canada - the sign is gone now but the field still looked good. (Jan 12)

Have you had a chance to sit in the thatched roof pub in the UCA bus stop??

3 times Chilo and I have planted our selves there for 3 or 4 hours to just watch the traffic pass buy.. One of our favourite spots and surprisingly cool for the hot days outside of the thatching..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Super post.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I had to google candado. Whew, it wasn't what I thought.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice read...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Spectacular
    Dios es Amor!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    "I shaved my candado yesterday, just to try something new. Plus, it was getting itchy."

Yeah... An Itchy candado is nothing to take lightly... Especially if you are sleeping in strange houses with deformed beds

I have to wonder what people have done on that bed in the past to make it like that.
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I got a good belly laugh from this one. Thank you John.
    Soy el chele mono.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Have you had a chance to sit in the thatched roof pub in the UCA bus stop??

3 times Chilo and I have planted our selves there for 3 or 4 hours to just watch the traffic pass buy.. One of our favourite spots and surprisingly cool for the hot days outside of the thatching..
    I haven't had a chance yet, but I saw it again today on my way to the zoo on carretra Masaya (the post is in the works). I'm thinking about checking it out tomorrow. Do you know if it's open all day? I often try to get some writing done in the morning--around 9:00am.
    Soy el chele mono.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Joke of the day... being this thread has a few word play's in it

My wife just came in from shopping showed me a new cream called

NIVEA BABY POMADA PROTECTORA

I looked at it and said, Damn sweetheart is this for your ass? or your snatch?

Uuu hell flew into her and she gave me a playful slap... The Dr. said it was good for my FACE you dummy, you allway's think like a Nasty Buzzer.... She always leaves off the d in the word...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...