Thread: Dumbest Gringo of the Year Award

Default Dumbest Gringo of the Year Award

I think it is time for another contest..yes, the first annual DGOTY Award...but first, we need some input on the rules:

A. They ain't Gringo's...they are Canadians...should we allow them? ( they do have great beer)
    B. Catagories:
    1. criminal ..(Humm, we may already have a winner )
    2. NGO's...so many to select from
    3. Backpackers...again to many
    4. Those living on an Island..Humm, too few
    5. Those that thought they bought land
    6. Those that KNEW they bought land
    7. Those that came to help Nicaragua
    8. Those that came to save trees
    C. Awards..??? Tips on getting residency?..Pizza delivered to the island?
    D. Location for the Award ceremony? We will supply red carpet

PP

Default Re: Dumbest Gringo of the Year Award

A- Aren't Canadians also considered Gringos?

B- Does the level of intoxication +/- affect the grading scale based on the level of the victimization?

C- Best award would be a special passport stamp.

D- Maybe a medical facility?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    A- Aren't Canadians also considered Gringos?
    I am told we are "Extranjos" or "Foreigners"

Chele as well..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Chele as well..
    Extranjeros is the formal word.

My experience is that the large majority of Nicaraguans don't know the differences between Canadians and USA Americans (and why should they be expected to), and to them, we are all gringos. I have met Nicaraguans who for some reason or other have learned about the differences, and they are more likely to refer to Americans as gringos and Canadians as Canadienses. In this context the word gringo is rarely used as an expression of contempt, it's just a casual way to refer to Americans. If they want to be contemptuous they use the word Janqui.

Chele means fair-skinned regardless of where you come from; e.g., a common nickname for a fair-skinned Nicaraguan woman is Chelita.

An African-American from the USA is a gringo plain and simple. If a Nicaraguan wants to draw attention to his (or her) skin colour as well as his/her nationality they call him a gringo negro.

As for dumbest gringo of the year, that would have to be me, for lending more than a few bucks on two occasions over the past year to friends when they were hard up. After four years of living here you would think I would know better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Extranjeros is the formal word.

As for dumbest gringo of the year, that would have to be me, for lending more than a few bucks on two occasions over the past year to friends when they were hard up. After four years of living here you would think I would know better.
    You will be lucky to get a ribbon with that...I think I got this one WON.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    I keep reminding the Miss-us about the $107.25 I "Lent" her BIL in 1991 for the overdue Zellers card HE coned HER to sign out and neglected to make payments on .. It was holding us from getting our first abode approved..

Still took me 10 yrs to really figure it out... Guess a Country boy really does believe that a borrower will make good on it someday... An expensive education ... (The $107 is the one I will talk about with a smile.. The others NOT!!!)

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I fit in somewhere along the line of the competors, I gone wait a bit till others tell on their self a bit first...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

I don't think it is dumb loaning people money that are broke, I think it is compassionate.

The dumb thing would be getting mad that they didn't pay you back (when you know they wouldn't/couldn't). If I loan a poor person money I write if off as a gift. I loaned my brother $40 about 25 years ago and by all rights he should have paid me back and he didn't. He has had it since then, too.

Just try to loan money to people that you care for, and don't let it effect your friendship when they don't pay it back. Loss of a good friend is a lot worse than losing money.
    Survivor

Active TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by randude View Post
    I don't think it is dumb loaning people money that are broke, I think it is compassionate.

The dumb thing would be getting mad that they didn't pay you back (when you know they wouldn't/couldn't). If I loan a poor person money I write if off as a gift. I loaned my brother $40 about 25 years ago and by all rights he should have paid me back and he didn't. He has had it since then, too.

Just try to loan money to people that you care for, and don't let it effect your friendship when they don't pay it back. Loss of a good friend is a lot worse than losing money.
    Good words Randy and I take them to heart. In Nicaragua friends are more useful than money.

Blog Entries

OK I think this narrows it down a bit, what yall think?... the money thing should or should not be included or perhaps just a small side issue in the "Dumbest Gringo of the Year Award contest.

Everybody here knows the "Gringo Mucho Plata" thingy.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

OK I think this narrows it down a bit, what yall think?... the money thing should&nbsp; or should not be included or perhaps just a small side issue in the "Dumbest Gringo of the Year Award contest.<BR><BR>Everybody here knows the&nbsp;&nbsp; "Gringo Mucho Plata" thingy.....

Blog Entries

I'd rather give some money to people who I care about and who have immediate needs. Too many of the people who are into rotating loans with everyone they know are careless with their money, whether they pay people back or not, and their habits with their money that caused them to come up short aren't an obligation to me to help them out with loans I can't really afford.

The other thing I've noticed here is that being lavish with money to people you don't really know tends to lead to more direct robbery because you look like a patsy (small sample on this one, but it makes sense -- you can't buy friends).

Getting involved in gift exchanges is a whole 'nother matter -- if your neighbor gives you a cabbage, give back some cole slaw. If the bar owner give you a free beer while you're watching the parade, burn him a DVD of the pictures you took.

Blog Entries

I don't think it is dumb loaning people money that are broke, I think it is compassionate.<br>
    <br>
    The dumb thing would be getting mad that they didn't pay you back (when you know they wouldn't/couldn't). If I loan a poor person money I write if off as a gift. I loaned my brother $40 about 25 years ago and by all rights he should have paid me back and he didn't. He has had it since then, too.<br>
    <br>
    <br><br>I'd rather give some money to people who I care about and who have immediate needs. &nbsp;Too many of the people who are into rotating loans with everyone they know are careless with their money, whether they pay people back or not, and their habits with their money that caused them to come up short aren't an obligation to me to help them out with loans I can't really afford.<br><br>The other thing I've noticed here is that being lavish with money to people you don't really know tends to lead to more direct robbery because you look like a patsy (small sample on this one, but it makes sense -- you can't buy friends).<br><br>Getting involved in gift exchanges is a whole 'nother matter -- if your neighbor gives you a cabbage, give back some cole slaw. &nbsp;If the bar owner give you a free beer while you're watching the parade, burn him a DVD of the pictures you took. &nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br><br><br>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    OK I think this narrows it down a bit, what yall think?...
    Yes and no...

The issue comes when it was communicated, up front, that it was a loan. They acknowledged, but pay back was not done.. Then to make things worse for me there was never an acknowledgement ever refered too, nor even a thank you..

It took us 2 yrs to get our heads above water on the biggest one..

New sums have been requested since then.. We greet the request(s) with the same silence recpricated to us on the first loan..

Forgiven, yes.. But I am not a sucker twice...

Others have asked for more reasonable sums which we pass as gifts.. Even if the context is a "Loan". One thing about the culture that is completly foreign to me still after 20 yrs..

Oddly those who have came up here, and adhered to that cultural norm, have not done as well as they could..

Those who changed from that cultural norm have done typically very well...

A gift is a one way transaction and a loan is a two way transaction. Sometimes its better to give less than loan more. Loaning a friend money is a good way to loose a friend, or at least not see them for quite a while until they stop avoiding you.

My entry is not award winning but I left two brand new machetes to get sharpened and I got one old one and one new one back. I was in a hurry and I knew better, but left them anyways . . . I'll try harder to win next year.

Some type of error popping up when a post is made. It did post correctly tho.

My great grandfather had a saying: "Never lend money to a friend, beacuse you will loose the money and the friend".

He also said that he didn't have enemies, becuase he never did a favor for anyone....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rivense67 View Post
    My great grandfather had a saying: "Never lend money to a friend, beacuse you will loose the money and the friend".

He also said that he didn't have enemies, becuase he never did a favor for anyone....
    A lot of very valid points in this thread, and I think you and I agree on this one in principle

I have always had a policy, since I was very young, is once you have loaned someone money and they don't pay it back, they are in no position to ask for another loan. If you keep track of such things you can go many years reminding them that they never paid back the last. A smart and cunning thief type may borrow and repay then borrow larger numbers as in an improvement of credit rating. In that case you may get sucked in, but if that person was a friend the friendship was based on money and not worth a fk. And after 30 years or so my brother still owes me that $40. He is still my brother and I love him, but his credit ain't so good.

I have been fairly well off and broke. I learned a lot about myself when I was broke, and especially when it comes to money and credit. I never borrowed from anyone when I was too broke to pay it back because I didn't want to lose a friend, and pride is a funny thing as well. I do know that having money to loan (and just plain lose) is better than being broke.

In the third world, where Americans are known to be wasteful and spoiled I have a hard time blaming people for wanting to use us. I do know that the most important people don't care so much about money and don't want it to shape their character. It is really tacky to whine about it. If you can't afford to lose it don't loan it, period. And if someone ask to borrow and you cannot afford to lose it, I think it is perfectly fair so say it.
    Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post

Chele as well..
    Still not seperating us Bill, were all Cheles and Extranjeros I think something along the line of "Those superior fellows from the North"
    Incidentely Id be honored to accept the award.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivense67 View Post

I believe Grampy lifted that one from Bill Shakespeare"neither a lender nor borrower be, yada yada yada" still true no matter who says it.