Thread: Old Story

Blog Entries

Default Old Story

Alan wrote this, all true. I could add some to it, but it speaks for itself.

Road Trip: Can you imagine this trip? A friend of mine, Marvin Wright, who is a native of Corn Island and was attending the university at UC-Berkely made the road trip by himself from the university in California to Managua in 1954, when he was only 23 years old.
    His stories are amazing about that trip. Marvin ran out of money in Mexico City and the family had to wire him money from Corn Island via Managua. The car had to travel part of the way through Mexico on a train with Marvin having to ride in the car loaded on the train.
    Marvin had many other stories about that trip from back in the "good old days". I'm sure that the trip should be better today.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Story

Somewhere over the years I must have wrote about that first trip to Bluefields. Alan introduced me to people who were written about in books. People who had no names, only spoken of in nicknames, or some silly code. Was an amazing trip. Met Heningston, Chaca, and Panchito. Rushide, wrote of Panchito, I came to know him., he was a good friend of a friend, and a friend of Alan..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I think I have told parts of this story before, but having trouble finding it.

Marvin and I both liked the rum and both liked to get an early start on it..

One morning we were on his back porch, half dz men with little machine guns came upon us, Not much we could say, only ask who was coming. Nothing strange, at Marvin's you never knew what was coming.

A friend was coming they said. The men were confused as they had been instructed to talk to the White Man, Marvin was whiter than me. Lots of guns, Marvin told them it was disturbing our drinking, told them to sit on the side of the house.

We soon got to see who the guest of honor was.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

First time I met Rivas..

And you can't imagine who Panchito is.

Small Country.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I remember Marvin....!

And I remember the early start on the evil FDC one morning at his house.

What I most remember is his dog NOT taking a liking to me and chewing on my ankle......but his wife showed up with iodine and the day continued.

A good man, Marvin.

Small country .....Smaller Island!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.