Thread: Interesting news for the Perpetual Tourist..

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting news for the Perpetual Tourist..

Apparently (as reported by Nica online forum brand B) you now need to show proof of onward travel when crossing into CR for your 90 day run.

Suggestion was to buy a Trans Nica travel voucher which is good for one year at a cost of $25. That is apparently sufficient to quell the bureaucrats need for a printed proof...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting news for the Perpetual Tourist..

The law has always been there, pretty much every Country has it, enforsement is so-so. I have seen people in front and back of me be asked for a ticket, I have never been asked, but I usually have some sort of thing handy. A guy on the CR side has a brother living in Oklahoma and he always flags me down, how in the Hell he remembers me I have no idea, every 6 months we discuss the beautiful place called Oklahoma.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Okla....homa.....where the wind comes sweeping down the lane

Blog Entries

I am curious to hear from anyone that has made the trip lately, more of a pain for tourist than those making a visa run. There have always been a few bus ticket vendors around the immigration area, past few trips they have been everywhere, approach you while in line for immigration. Talked to one of the girls last time and they were selling tickets for less than $15, not one of the fancy bus lines.

On the CR side I have seen people in front of me be directed to the ticket vendors to get an onward ticket. The only issue I have with it is that now your are waiing on a specific bus line instead of catching the first available one (often in CR and Nica), once I stood/sat for a few hours on the side of the Pan Am waiting on a Tica Bus, dozens of buses passed in that time, that was my last trip with the big busses. I always recommend them for first timers, but for me they are more of a burden than they are worth,the exception being if you show up on a day when the Border is chaos, which from my experience could be any day ending with a Y.

Anyone that has not made the crossing owes it to themselves, at least once. First time I made it had just turned dark, big mistake. The border is sometimes mind boggling, one side will have 100's of people in line, the other none, last trip no one was in line on the CR side, the Nica side was packed.

Nicaragua rehabbed their side a year or 2 ago, CR was working on their side and it should be done by now.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Anyone making the border run please get in touch with me. I have an SUV with CR plates that I use to get back and forth between Coco Beach in Guanacaste, and my farm in the northern part of Nica. Entering and leaving CR by car should eliminate the need for a bus ticket purchase . . . .

If Nicaragua goes through one of their weird phases where they are requiring an out of country stay (as opposed to walk out, walk back in) I know a couple of inexpensive places in La Cruz. La Cruz is a half hour south of Peñas Blancas, or 85 cents by the bus that waits across from the CR immigration point (and the comedor, which incidentally, has excellent food).

La Cruz has the Mirador, a converted house with AC, hot water, WiFi and a large deck with a beautiful view over Bahia Salina for $30. Saeco coffee machine, and ice cold Imperials. Nice place, owned by a professional couple who work in Liberia. They live there too. There is also another large hotel at the top of the hill before you drop down into Bahia Salina, for $20 but only a noisy fan, no WiFi, no hot water. Pretty rustico. The name escapes me.

La Cruz has two internet cafes, the one next to the bakery is much faster than the one next to the Mirador.

I stay at a B&B in El Coco, AC, Hot Water, WiFi, Pool, Breakfast, owned by a pleasant Tica who speaks excellent English. $40

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

If Nicaragua goes through one of their weird phases where they are requiring an out of country stay (as opposed to walk out, walk back in) I know a couple of inexpensive places in La Cruz. La Cruz is a half hour south of Peñas Blancas, or 85 cents by the bus that waits across from the CR immigration point (and the comedor, which incidentally, has excellent food).
    I always see and hear about people getting hassled that go over and turn back around, not so much by immigration but by the checkpoint guys between the CR and Nica side. Know plenty of people that have done it with no trouble, I usually go down spend a night in La Cruz depending on the time of my arrival, then go down and kill a day or 2 in Liberia.

La Cruz and Liberia both have some "decent" rooms for under $20. La Cruz is a nice little town but a day and you can walk every street in town a few times.

The Hotel before you make the drop to Salinas is OK, have stayed there 2 times, I think $13 once, $15 another, staff is unfriendly, rooms are rustic but functional, has a pool but doubt I would get in it, has a restaurant but have not tried it, they do have coffee ready early in the am.

Amelia's is an ok place, nothing special except for some great views of the Ocean, think I had a room for $15 there one night.

Another place called Cabinas some thing or another looks kinda like an auto motel (and may be), stayed there once with a shared bath (between 2 rooms, & no one was staying in the other room) for $10-$12 I think. Rooms were better than you would expect.

I wrote a detailed email to a member a few years ago about Liberia and can probably dig it up if anyone needs or wants the info. Always end up staying in the same place there and it is a dump but it has a great location (close to a very good sorbet shop) I have checked out lots of hotels there and somewhere have emails and websites if they have them.

Neither town has much in the way of inspired dining that I have found but I am always on the lookout. Liberia had a few mid range places at the strip mall across from Boyeras Hotel on the Pan Am, one was an Italian place with wood fired pizza (DAMN good pizza) last time I went it looked like most of those places had folded. Liberia must hold some sort of record for the most big supermercados per capita, they are everywhere. A couple of decent bakeries for cheap eats.
    Ernie K Doe

I spent quite a bit of time in Libera this last trip too. There is the Hotel Liberia, quaint, courtyard, good food, English speaking host. Very welcoming and attractive. It gets a lot of tourists since it's pretty close to the Pulmitan bus station.

A block off the main street in -one way in, the next street north is out - and maybe 6 blocks east of the InterAmericano.

There are two "Wilson Hotels', the one farthest away from the main street is the nicest,, but the other is OK too. Further in quite a bit, big signs.

AC, Hot water, even bedroom slippers. All of these above were $28 /night.

Liberia has a very nice steakhouse a little past the church and big BCR, on the one way east,, really good service, US quality restrooms with paper towels!
    Lunch is inexpensive, but the dinner steaks can get pricey. Lot of good meat in Guanacaste.

I think you're right, it's the Nica border guards in the no man's zone between Nica and CR who are soliciting the bribes. They are out there by themselves, tourist walks on to CR, pretty safe, who do you complain to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time in Libera this last trip too. There is the Hotel Liberia, quaint, courtyard, good food, English speaking host. Very welcoming and attractive. It gets a lot of tourists since it's pretty close to the Pulmitan bus station.
    Used to be Hostal Liberia, that is where I usually stay. They had fixed it up a good deal the last time I stayed there (yr ago). Previous owner was a nut, the guy had absolutely no business in the Hospitality Industry. He would not get out of bed in the mornings to open the door to let people out and I am not talking about super early, talking about 7am. The last time I was there when he owned it he was renting more rooms by the hour than by the night. Great location though.

Hotel Boyeras out on the Highway is nice, stayed there a few times, nice pool, 24hr restaurant, lots of fenced in parking.
    Ernie K Doe

His rooms were cheap. his Ex gf write a book on South west Nicaragua. It was all wrong she did not visit most places, sent her mom to ometepe for her.