Thread: Need cheap camera!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Need cheap camera!

My little point and shoot camera was stolen this weekend in Granada at Isabella's restaurant. I only paid $90 for it, but it did everything I needed. I'm looking to replace it quick as I'm jonesin' already not being able to capture things. Anybody know of a place or a buddy with a cheapy one to sell????????
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need cheap camera!

You could try a Q: posted to this Nicaragua photo group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/FotoaficionadosNic/
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Gotta be careful with them pick pockets, they strike when you least expected
    Dios es Amor!

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Happy ending to this story! No, I couldn't get my camera back from the person who stole it, and I'm pretty sure who that was, so the great Finca Market pix are gone.....BUT, I ran into a Nicaraguan friend today that I haven't seen in several years. When I described my predicament, the loss of the camera which meant having to buy another which meant NOT being able to put aside extra $$$ for my kid's upcoming visit in May of next year, the couple generously gave me their camera. An old one they had in the car, an extra one...so, so kind. I simply love the Nicaraguan people!

NO! Not all of them, or I wouldn't have had the camera stolen in the first place, but I never fail to find an incredible experience with other Nicaraguans that totally makes up for the crap one can experience here. This country is made up a wonderful people...who spend a lot of time making up for the few jerks among them.

Here's the first pic from my new used camera! We got a toad strangler today, and my buddy came out to enjoy it. This fella is a good 2/3rds the size of a football!

"Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Great story Cat.Isn't that toad one of those youths use to lick just to get a high?Keep the pics and stories coming

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about your loss. I really love my cameras and have lost a few to theft. Nothing pisses me off like someone helping themself to stuff. I usually only buy the things I really want. Nice a friend helped you out like that. We have a little Nikon Cookpix that fits in my shirt pocket that is pretty handy when I don't feel like packing gear. My phone does a pretty good job too, but it has some limitations.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

A quick camera story. I was not on this team, but got the story from someone who was.

A group of missionaries/tourists was putting on a Bible School program for a large group of local kids. Lots of gringos taking pictures of lots of kids having fun. In stereotypical fashion, one team member left a backpack sitting near a wall with their camera in it, assuming it would be left alone. When all the festivities ended, this person picked up the backpack to go back to the hotel/guesthouse only to find their camera gone - not an expensive camera, but a digital point and shoot. All the pictures to date from their experiences in country were no more. This could easily have led some people to express a thought such as "Nicaraguans are theives and I'll never be back." Instead, this person was disappointed but chalked it up to a learning experience. Shame on me for being careless, but I'll never let that happen again.

Later that evening as the team gathered to talk about their experiences of the day, one other team member was looking at the pictures he had taken of all the activities and found, to his utter amazement, in the background of one of his photographs was an image of young person with their hand in the backpack that was missing the camera.

The next day, they returned to the neighborhood and asked if anyone knew who this person was. Not only did they know him, they graciously took the team members to his house. When his parents (parental authority figures in the home) were presented with the photographic evidence, they searched where he slept and located the missing camera and returned it with its SD card full of pictures to its rightful owner. Call it karma, divine intervention, sheer dumb luck, or whatever you want. The team member was happy and faith in the general goodness of people was restored. The young person who took the camera -- not so much.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    A quick camera story. I was not on this team, but got the story from someone who was.

A group of missionaries/tourists was putting on a Bible School program for a large group of local kids. Lots of gringos taking pictures of lots of kids having fun. In stereotypical fashion, one team member left a backpack sitting near a wall with their camera in it, assuming it would be left alone. When all the festivities ended, this person picked up the backpack to go back to the hotel/guesthouse only to find their camera gone - not an expensive camera, but a digital point and shoot. All the pictures to date from their experiences in country were no more. This could easily have led some people to express a thought such as "Nicaraguans are theives and I'll never be back." Instead, this person was disappointed but chalked it up to a learning experience. Shame on me for being careless, but I'll never let that happen again.

Later that evening as the team gathered to talk about their experiences of the day, one other team member was looking at the pictures he had taken of all the activities and found, to his utter amazement, in the background of one of his photographs was an image of young person with their hand in the backpack that was missing the camera.

The next day, they returned to the neighborhood and asked if anyone knew who this person was. Not only did they know him, they graciously took the team members to his house. When his parents (parental authority figures in the home) were presented with the photographic evidence, they searched where he slept and located the missing camera and returned it with its SD card full of pictures to its rightful owner. Call it karma, divine intervention, sheer dumb luck, or whatever you want. The team member was happy and faith in the general goodness of people was restored. The young person who took the camera -- not so much.
    It was shiney....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post

(Snip)

The Jinotega classic story is a tourist asked a kid to take his picture going up to Pena de la Cruz. Kid ran with the camera. The tourist came back with cops and found the kid about to throw the camera away because he couldn't figure out how to operate it. Camera rejoined its proper owner.

A friend of mine left her camera and laptop for a second while she went into an office to deal with a work issue. Someone came in from the street and snagged them. No happy ending there. I brought her back another camera from the US (she paid me for it).

A birder visited me and wandered around with two Canons with long white lenses. I nearly had heart attacks several times but nobody tried to steal them. Perhaps, they would have not fit in under a shirt.