Thread: Message for U.S. Citizens 10-29-12

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Message for U.S. Citizens 10-29-12

Message for U.S. Citizens

Information on Medicare for U.S. Citizens Overseas

This message informs U.S. citizens about their Medicare benefits coverage while traveling or living overseas.

U.S. citizens currently receiving Medicare benefits, or eligible to receive them, should be aware that in nearly all circumstances their coverage does not extend outside of the U.S. Specific information on overseas coverage can be found through an official Medicare publication available at: http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/11037.pdf <http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/11037.pdf> . Nicaraguan hospitals and clinics cannot file Medicare claims and medical services provided in Nicaragua are not reimbursable by Medicare.

You should always protect your personal information. Guard your Medicare and Social Security numbers. Treat them like you would treat your credit cards. Be suspicious of anyone who offers you free medical equipment or services and then requests your personal information. If it's free, they do not need your number! Do not let anyone borrow or pay to use your Medicare ID card or your identity. It's illegal, and it's not worth it!

For more information please visit www.medicare.gov/Coverage/ <http://www.medicare.gov/Coverage/> or call 1-800-MEDICARE begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 1-800-MEDICARE end_of_the_skype_highlighting (1-800-633-4227 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 1-800-633-4227 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 1-877-486-2048 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. The U.S. Embassy's American Citizen Services unit is also available by email at ACS.Managua@state.gov <mailto:ACS.Managua@state.gov>
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Re: Message for U.S. Citizens 10-29-12

MediCare Advantage plans (most anyway) have a provision for out of country emergency care. How they define emergency I'm not sure, but certainlly a heart attack or a car accident. Mine covers up to $25K in expense. Of course, you have to pay first, then get reimbursed.

MediCare Advantage was in the targets of ObamaCare, but they were unable to get rid of it. It's a good program that is designed to keep you healthy, and they walk the walk. Lot of preventive care "pushing" and incentives. I'm at my annual wellnes point, and if I follow Humana's guidelines to get the required blood work, a Hep B shot, PSA, etc, etc, etc (which is all free) plus a few minutes with my doctor, they send me gift cards worth $50.

They would give me a free gym membership (if I had the time to go to the gym), the whole concept is, keep those suckers (our clients, that's me) healthy as long as we can so we can collect the $775 Medicare pays us each month, and not have to put too much out of pocket. So far they have been doing pretty well.

It's easy to see how one night in the hospital, or one ER visit, could cost substantially more than their annual wellness expenditure. The wellness stuff is actually quite cheap.

Depending on where you live, MideiCare Advantage can be free or very little. In Idaho I only pay the $24 monthly drug subscription, everything else is free. In California, because of higher health costs, it's different. I can receive treatment anywhere I go, and going with a major provider like Humana makes it easier.

This is the time to be looking at what you have, easy to switch plans now.