Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weed Eaters

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weed Eaters

Conclusion, in the land of the lowest common denominator, the machete rules.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don`t know, but try Sinsa or managua. I had string trimmers many moons ago when I worked landscaping in AZ. I found that ``better is better``. Commercial grade ones had longer shafts so you could work upright and had thicker diameter string which lasted longer/worked better. When i did it professionally I had gas trimmers. When I got out of the business and only worked my own property, I got an electric one to avoid the maintenance issues. If you have a big enough property to run it monthly, a commercial gas one might be your best bet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Conclusion, in the land of the lowest common denominator, the machete rules.
    You can cut grass with it, use it as a weapon, dig a hole with it, cut up your dinner, the possibilities are as long as your imagination. Reminds me of Bubba telling Forrest about all the stuff you can do with shrimp.
    Survivor

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    Learning how to use a scythe properly is not easy. It is a complicated skill and the learning curve is rather steep. Also, you will end up using muscle groups in your body that are rarely used by most manual labourers and you will be sore for the first couple of months.
    Was going to write this earlier but I was down in Texas doing some work .. Back home now..

Now maybe I being a little to much of tooting my own horn but I did Scythe with Gramps when I was 9 and 12 respectively. When I was 9 it was more of a "play" thing but at 12 , when I spent 6 weeks over there, there was no playing .. IIRC there was a good week of using one to clear the section between the field and the polder (dike).

It did have a curve so I am not sure if it was a standard or a double curve or a single curve for that matter. You would stand on the mid point of the bank and draw up from the water and yes by damn you did feel it work on your body.

Gramps has a stone hune (sp?) that dangled from his waste from a rope. Every now and then he would stand the scythe on end and with robotic , brisk , strokes he would make a new edge. Typically stopping to reload his pipe at the same time.

I did manage to use some of that scythe training back at the greenhouse in my early teens but the bush hog was so much more efficient and made real quick work of the city owned fields my Dad managed to get contract for keeping cut.

Key might be your raking skills.. If you can rake smooth , flat , straight lines then a scythe may be for you..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

And while on that subject...

The schoffel... Or the Dutch Hoe...

Not the square ones you see on the internet, but the flat blade delta winged types you buy in the Netherlands itself.. You want to to decimate weeds and not really disturb the top soil you get yourself one of those..

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh My, said the City feller....

Lady, your garden looks SO... lovely and, beautiful, why it looks like you just waved a "Magic Wand" over it and it all looks so nice and pretty.... A picture book sort of thing.....

The old woman cracked a sly smile and said....

Why Yes, Sonny she retorted, I did wave a "Magic Wand" over the whole thang....

And it had a HOE on the end of it.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Those sound like some great memories, Bill.

TRN Member

Tom - you'd better let me know just what you have available

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Ann...I am confused....are we talking about grass, "grass", or money?

Blog Entries

Well....unfortunately, I spent all my cash on "grass", so I guess it will have to be a bag of Niggerhead on my next trip.

Maybe see you in February?

I'll be the rasta looking old gringo staggering off da plane with a large plastic bag.

Merry Christmas All!

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Tom - you'd better let me know just what you have available
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Been engaged in a few long days of weed-whacking, thought I would share a few thoughts.

I have a Truper gas timmer, I think the motor is around 3/4hp, it does fine with yard work and will cut taller grass but far as knee deep stuff forget about it. Around $100 [mga]

A friend got one of the newer model Truper machines, 1hp, has the "handlebars" been using it since Thursday and it is a fine machine. I cut close to 2 acres with it mostly 8-12 inches high, some higher. Around $200 [mga]

Th biggr Oleo Matics and Echo have 2-3hp motors. Around $400-$600[mga]

I think a 2hp machine would be the max I would ever need, plus the weight starts to become an issue.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I too bought this weed eater and I can clean the whole of 4 acres in two days.

Blog Entries

One man's weeds are another's __________

Just wondering. All that whacked vegetation left to lay & rot must present a happy home to various bugs. Gathered & ground, bugs & all, could it serve as feed for chickens, hogs, goats, or cattle?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Active TRN Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Cookshow, think I have found the perfect solution for you...

Look at the linky below. I don't think there is any weed out there that can resist this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXFSLK3otM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    Hey Cookshow, think I have found the perfect solution for you...

Look at the linky below. I don't think there is any weed out there that can resist this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXFSLK3otM
    Gotta Love 'em Redneks..... Lawnmower-NASCAR
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I let it lay in the sun for a day or so and then burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    All that whacked vegetation left to lay & rot must present a happy home to various bugs.
    Makes for good mulch around trees to keep the weeds down.

Blog Entries

When I have the machete men chop the grass is usually waist high or taller, that I gather to use for mulch, compost, pig bedding,etc. When I use the weed whacker I just leave it for the animals to graze on.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Correct me if I am wrong... But all I can find out on the killing of unwanted vegetation to eventually make fodder or compost is to whack it down BEFORE it starts going to seed?

This is correct lest it be a root propagating plant, such as bermuda, dallas grass, etc.

Blog Entries

I guess the Damn "Batata" a local strain of a sweet potato is a root AND anything propagating plant. it is a plague in parts of my yard where I planted it... The lawn mower won't kill it like it does the Culanthro and other plants... AND that Devilish weed that has stickers on it that the leaves curl up when touched that has a root on it that goes slamb to China. Takes some gloves and a lot of pulling when the ground is soft after a rain to pull each and everyone up... BTW I tried the Vinegar, Salt and dish soap treatment around my fence posts.... GRAVEYARD DEAD it leaves any plants......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12