Thread: MGA Overnight

Default MGA Overnight

Has anyone arrived in Managua on a late enough flight that they've had to spend the night in the airport?

I'm trying to figure out if this is even an option in Nicaragua. I know that in the States, if someone is willing, they are allowed to stay in an airport all night, but I've never tried this in the Sandino airport, nor have I heard of anyone else doing so.

If so, there are some less expensive flight options that I can consider...
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Default Re: MGA Overnight

I have read about people doing it on travel forums. Your best bet would be to try the food court area or find a place on the ground in the ticketing area. There have to be plenty of people who have done it especially with all the late arrivals now.

Another option/idea, almost certainly there will be people on the flight going to Granada, split a cab, still the problem of arriving at a hotel at 3am.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/casa/managua.htm
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Last time I went to Nicaland was via spirit airlines, arrived at approximately 2AM and the airport was crawling with people, I am pretty you could stay at the food court
    Dios es Amor!

I have hung around the airport after arriving at 2:10AM until either the 4 AM buses start to run North toward Esteli or Matagalpa, or until I line up to catch the flight on to Puerto Cabezas.

You are never alone and the police are right there patroling.

Might also mention the AltaMira Hotel just 50 to 70 cord away that charges less than $20.00 per night for a room. Not fancy but secure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robertharvey View Post
    Might also mention the AltaMira Hotel just 50 to 70 cord away that charges less than $20.00 per night for a room. Not fancy but secure.

Does this include a/c?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

I don't mean to halt this thread (as I feel it is still providing useful information) by thanking you all for you help, but I just wanted to get it in there somewhere.

This is exactly what I needed to know.
    Soy el chele mono.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let's go a step further with this.... While we on the subject.

My Daughter and Son in Law want to come down for a visit to PUZ as a final destination... Hahahaa where I am presently located.

They live way the hell and gone in Hicksville Florida.... In a Doublewide of course....

A lot of ya'll have been Down and back up so much it I guess it is like second nature to ya by now....

My question is taking into consideration they are not multimillionaires but budjet travelers.

What is the best way to do it?

Now my last travel Agent was Miskito Alan and he did set it all up for me and my younguns to go from here to Richmond Virginia (Capitol of the Confederate States of America) and back down here.

Miskito Alan set mine up way ahead of time to get the best rates and the no Dog Gone surprizes with pay this that and the other in hidden, you got to pay this that or the other with some of the cheap advertized fares.

Amerian Airlines at the time was the way to go and come for us and it was a very pleasant experiance for us....

Any Input?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Does this include a/c?
    Yes! Of course; when the country boys go to the city, we's go first class!

Blog Entries

Budget travel from Hicksville to PUZ, for two people:

Southwest Airlines to Ft. Liquordale, Tri-Rail to Miami International Airport, then pick the cheapest flight to Managua. I've done this a couple times. Check American and Taca for prices.

They do not want to drive to Miami or Orlando because the price of gas and storing the car in a garage will eat them alive. Renting a car just ads to the cost, and for one way rentals from Hicksville to Miami the cost is double going down compared to returning (or is it the other way around?). The Southwest/Tri-Rail/Miami route takes the same amount of time as driving, for comparison.

They could fly American Eagle from Hicksville to Miami, but that's more expensive. Or to Hotlanta, then Managua.

Blog Entries

Hate to recommend Spirit but if you can get to Ft Lauderdale cheaply they are hard to beat on price BUT once you figure in the departure/arrival times any savings may not be worth it. Watching fares the past several months and I have not seen any great deals except for Spirit.

The Spirit Arrival in MGA is actually not too bad when traveling to the DAC by the time you clear customs and all it would probably be close to 3am and Costena wants you there at some insane hour for the morning flights anyway. Leaving MGA you would have a 6-8 hour or more wait between the time the evening Costena arrives and the Spirit flight leaves.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Probably the cheapest is to take Southwest to Fort Lauderdale, Spirit to Managua, sleep a few hours in the airport, then take the La Costena flight out to the DAC early in the morning.

Otherwise, Delta from Atlanta or American from Miami.

Planning and booking well in advance will get the cheapest ticket.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Hate to recommend Spirit but if you can get to Ft Lauderdale cheaply they are hard to beat on price BUT once you figure in the departure/arrival times any savings may not be worth it. Watching fares the past several months and I have not seen any great deals except for Spirit.

The Spirit Arrival in MGA is actually not too bad when traveling to the DAC by the time you clear customs and all it would probably be close to 3am and Costena wants you there at some insane hour for the morning flights anyway. Leaving MGA you would have a 6-8 hour or more wait between the time the evening Costena arrives and the Spirit flight leaves.
    You must have reservations and be at the desk at 4 AM to catch the 6 AM flight, which is always full to DAC and the next is at 10 AM on the biggy.

If ya ain't aflying, the busses start to run sharply at 4 AM.

Blog Entries

For the past 10 years or so I have been using www.cheaptickets.com to arrange all my trips. I am sure there are others, but for me that has been the way to go. You get a list of options and can play with the days of the week and see what days it is best to travel.
    Survivor

Blog Entries

www.kayak.com is another good one.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks a Heap ya'll....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

DSB left some stateside goodies for me there and I had to go looking for the addy...another helpful friend found it before I could barely blink and focus on the Google map...thought I would share with y'all.

Alta Mira Hotel
    Dirección: Carretera Norte Semaforos De La Subasta 50Mts Al Este
    Teléfono: 22330609
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan View Post
    DSB left some stateside goodies for me there and I had to go looking for the addy...another helpful friend found it before I could barely blink and focus on the Google map...thought I would share with y'all.

Alta Mira Hotel
    Dirección: Carretera Norte Semaforos De La Subasta 50Mts Al Este
    Teléfono: 22330609
    If you zoom in as close as you can on google maps, and then hit the chain link in the top left corner (right beside the print icon), then come back to this post and make a new reply, "paste" the google map position here and then anyone can find it in the Googleverse..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Here is the site for the Alta Mira, there is another hotel by the same name but this is the one by the airport.

http://www.hotelrestaurantealtamira.com/

I have stayed here twice, it is convenient, may be a little rough around the edges for many. No doubt I will stay here again due to it's proximity to the airport.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Might also add that this hotel is probably the closest to Mercado Mayoreo. Mayoreo is one of the 2 bus "stations" with buses going to El Rama. I believe that the buses to Port also leave from somewhere in this approximate area.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I have stayed here twice, it is convenient, may be a little rough around the edges for many. No doubt I will stay here again due to it's proximity to the airport.
    Little rough around the edges . . . the door knobs for the bathrooms were backwards and our bed only had 3 legs. They did make a good pancake egg sandwich, seemed to think gringos liked them for some reason. Dining room front porch has quite an entertaining view. Based on the website pics there have been some improvements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Based on the website pics there have been some improvements.
    Nope. those pics are old, don't look nothing like the pics.
    Ernie K Doe