Thread: ¡Viva Poru!

Blog Entries

Default ¡Viva Poru!

When I had the flu last month, I learned a trick to stop the night time coughing spells. Rub Vick's on the bottom of your feet. It actually worked.

Last night my wife was talking to her brother on the phone, and it was his turn to have the flu and apparently he had the night coughs too. And my wife told him to rub "viva poru" on his feet.

Afterwards, I turned to her and said, "Viva Peru?"

"No, PO-ru."

"Viva poru, eh"

Yup, he knew exactly what I meant."

So go get some ¡Viva Poru!" for your flu!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ¡Viva Poru!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post

So go get some ¡Viva Poru!" for your flu!
    Ha... Up here the fam calls it Va-Pa-ru ...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I have been trying to learn Spanish pretty hard since about 2006 without much progress. It is not that complicated of a language. Slang has to be the biggest obstacle for me. If Laura would let me I would watch more Spanish Television. It drives her violently crazy. I think it is the way those Chicas wear skin tight tiny dresses that make her the madest.

Here is a Spanish Learning Sites "Word of the Day" for what it's worth. Every day I get an email with a new word in Spanish.
    http://www.spanishdict.com/?utm_sour...ord+of+the+Day
    Survivor

Blog Entries

As I thought about this, it kind of sounds right to me, although I don't understand the 'vi' prefix on Jonh's noted Spanglish.

Some Nicaraguans I have met tend to drop (to my ear) the ending consonant on some words. For instance, 'bus' comes out sounding like 'boo,' 'gracias' sounds like 'gracia,' 'buenos dias' sounds like 'bueno dia,' etc. When I asked someone about this once, he told me that he was saying it, I just wasn't hearing it.

Considering that the product mentioned is manufactured by Vick's and is called VapoRub, calling it 'va-po-ru' sort of makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

Nicaraguans eat their s's.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Vic's, drop the final consonant, and it's Vi. Vapor, drop the final consonant, and it's vapo. And Rub is ru. Vi Vapo Ru. Or, Viva Poru!

Blog Entries

Vic's, drop the final consonant, and it's Vi. Vapor, drop the final consonant, and it's vapo. And Rub is ru. Vi Vapo Ru. Or, Viva Poru!
    Oh, yeah! Duh!
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On this one I asked one of the girls in the office to pronounce it for me and she also made the "B" silent....

But started it with "Bic's" Bap o ru....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

If not Viva po ru. You can also use ZEPOL, have to have it in every Nica's medicine cabinet.

Interesting fact about the name. supposedly the makers of it was a family which last name was LOPEZ, so they used the name backwards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rivense67 View Post
    If not Viva po ru. You can also use ZEPOL, have to have it in every Nica's medicine cabinet.

Interesting fact about the name. supposedly the makers of it was a family which last name was LOPEZ, so they used the name backwards.
    Now that stuff does work wonders on burn wounds, I kid ya not.... I and the group of Tech's in the maint depart from time to time do suffer from slight burns mostly 1st and 2nd degree in areas not so big....

Does it also caintain "ALOE"? I don't know, but I highly reccomend it for minor burns.....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Man that sends me back to when I was a kid. My grandmother would use Vapo Ru for just about everything that ailed you!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTejada View Post
    Man that sends me back to when I was a kid. My grandmother would use Vapo Ru for just about everything that ailed you!!
    You got that right... she even made me swallow some if it one time.... Nasty, but Who in the hell would revolt against the wrath of Grandmaw? Sure as hell won't me...

She and her Generation would be put "UNDER" the jail now a days by the Flying Monkees and Moon Bat's....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    You got that right... she even made me swallow some if it one time.... Nasty, but Who in the hell would revolt against the wrath of Grandmaw? Sure as hell won't me...

She and her Generation would be put "UNDER" the jail now a days by the Flying Monkees and Moon Bat's....
    Here is a list of uses, but they are all Topical. Isn't this stuff petroleum?

1. Decongest Your Chest
    The most common use of Vicks is to decongest your chest and throat area. When applied to the upper chest, it provides excellent relief of cough and congestion symptoms.
    2. On Your Tootsies
    Applying Vicks to your feet provides nighttime cough relief. Generously rub VapoRub all over your feet and cover them with socks. Within moments your cough will subside—in the morning you’ll wake up a new, hacking free woman.
    3. Achy Breaky Muscles
    Vicks relieves sore, overworked muscles. It increases circulation and provides almost instant aid. Use a generous portion and apply it all over the aching area. (Be sure to warn your bedmate as the stench can ensure a nookie-free night.)
    4. Get Rid of Nasty Nail Fungus
    Rub VapoRub on your toenails if you suspect you have a fungus. Within days, the nail will turn dark—this means the Vicks is killing the fungus. As your toenail grows out, the dark part will grow off and you will have fungus-free feet. Keep applying the ointment over a period of two weeks to fully cleanse nail beds of any remaining bacteria.
    5. Stop Your Cat from Scratching
    Cats are notorious for scratching every hard surface they get their claws on. To prevent Miss Kitty from ruining your doors, walls, and windows, apply a small amount of VapoRub to these areas. Cats detest the smell and will steer clear. Vicks can also be applied to your arms and legs if your kitty is prone to scratching you.
    6. Pet Pee-Pee Deterrent
    If your dog or cat is not yet potty trained, put an open bottle of Vicks on the area he or she likes to mark as their territory. The smell will discourage them from lifting their legs and wetting your rug.
    7. Headaches Be Gone
    Rub a small amount of Vicks VapoRub on your temples and forehead to help relieve headaches. The mentholated scent will release pressure in your head and instantly relieve pain.
    8. Humidify Your Sleep
    Vicks VapoRub can be used in special types of humidifiers and vaporizers. Ensure your humidifier has an aromatherapy compartment before using. The humidifier will circulate Vicks throughout the air and keep you breathing easy all night long.
    9. Paper Cuts and Splinters
    To prevent infection and speed up healing time, dab a small amount of Vicks on any small cut or splinter.
    10. Ticks and Bugs
    If you get bitten by a tick, apply Vicks immediately. The strong odor might help get the critter to release itself and stop bugging you.
    11. Reek-free Racehorses
    Professional racers smother VapoRub under the nostrils of racehorses on race day. The strong stench deters the stallions from the alluring odor of the female pony and keeps them focused on the race.
    12. Go Away Mosquitoes
    Vicks wards off mosquitoes. Apply small dabs of Vicks VapoRub to your skin and clothes and mosquitoes will steer clear. If you do get bitten, apply Vicks to the area and cover it with a Band-Aid to relieve itching

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/22175/...#ixzz2J6yeaUla
    Survivor

Blog Entries

And as the woman raced naked towards the bathroom and a shower she cried scratching her postierior....

YOU DUMMY.... That was the Bic's Baypo Ruup... Not the Vasiliene.

Sorry Lucy....

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    And as the woman raced naked towards the bathroom and a shower she cried scratching her postierior....

YOU DUMMY.... That was the Bic's Baypo Ruup... Not the Vasiliene.

Sorry Lucy....

In my family it is called ``vapo-roob``, with the accent on the second syllable.

A women can also spread it on her face at night to make her smell like a chemical factory!!! jeje

Blog Entries

Sounds like ¡viva poru! Should be officially proclaimed the third member of the grand trinity of industrial products: duck tape, WD40, and Vick's.

Blog Entries

Sounds like ¡viva poru! Should be officially proclaimed the third member of the grand trinity of industrial products: duck tape, WD40, and Vick's.

Blog Entries

...in the morning you’ll wake up a new, hacking free woman.
    Use this product carefully guys!!! The side affects could be life changing!