Thread: Wireless Router for Claro 3G

Blog Entries

Default Wireless Router for Claro 3G

Anyone have any experience using a wireless router with a Claro 3G "Dongle". I remember reading about the subject a year or 2 ago and if memory serves me there was only 1 brand that worked (at least available in MGA). I am sure they are available at the usual spots. Just interested to see if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wireless Router for Claro 3G

A few stated some combos that work. Unfortunately info is dated as every 6 months or so manufactures cycle their part numbers and all changes...

Lets start with your Dongle .. Can you you tell us a bit about it.... (Make and model that is)

If you are still in the USA for the next 3 or 4 I have a good cheap place to have one sent from China.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Not sure I will ever get one, but am curious about range and how well they work. Figured the easiest way to buy one would be show up in MGA, dongle and laptop in hand and try out the router in store instead of importing one and getting it to the Island, only to find out it no worky.

What kind of price are you talking about for the cheap ones, I think I recall hearing the ones in MGA were around $75, sure I can shoot out a few emails manana and find out some pricing.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Anyone use one of these routers yet??

Ran across this some time ago on a blog of some gringos over in Pearl Lagoon. Will this work? Is it really that simple??

http://crazyparentsinnicaragua.blogs...rnet-just.html
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Anyone use one of these routers yet??

Ran across this some time ago on a blog of some gringos over in Pearl Lagoon. Will this work? Is it really that simple??

http://crazyparentsinnicaragua.blogs...rnet-just.html
    JohnS over on the other site has the router info (router brand that works). I had a NetGear wireless router with this setup some years back, worked great with a USB dongle from Verizon that looked like a slightly larger flash drive. Range was typical wireless router range, but there are tons of range extender options. . ..
    I don't know if the USB dongle is still available in the US, it's all about those little standalone "hotspots" now, they serve as modem and wireless router and the size is about a couple of big matchbooks. They have an internal battery, but for continuous duty would have to be hooked up to an AC source via the charger cord.

If this is just for yourself, you might try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Techno...range+extender

I've used this product too, and it works amazingly well. The 4" dish antenna is pointed towards the weak signal source, amplifies the signal, and delivers it via a longish USB cable (so you could put the antenna in a window,, etc). It's powered by the USB connection to the computer. You would use this at your remote site. Most of the other range extenders are designed to be physically located close to the strong signal.