Thread: Hospital Metropolitan Vivian Pellas

Default Hospital Metropolitan Vivian Pellas

If you or anyone you know has had a Quality or Safety issue at Hospital Metropolitano Vivian Pellas, I encourage you to visit this website and file a cliam with they. They are an accreditation agency based out of the US. The hospital preaches about their US standards but our newborn contracted ECOLI from the respirator straight into his lungs. Yes, he was born premature and subceptable to get sick or even die. But that is even more of a concern and safety measures should have been taken at the NICU to prevent such negligence from happening,
    If you want more information about filing a claim, you can PM me. I have been in contact with JCI's representatives and they are interested in hearing from more people who have had issues. And we know there are a lot of issues of concern.
    I am sharing with you the letter we sent to the hospital as well as the letter the Hospital sent back to us claiming that they had no responsabilities for the problems and the Epicrisis.
    If there is anyone in the medical field that can read the problems our little one went through and maybe tell me that this a common occurence in US standards hospital, please be my guest and tell me otherwise.

http://www.jointcommissioninternatio...Safety-Issues/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Hospital Metropolitan Vivian Pellas

Thank you for this information. I'm very sorry personally to hear of your distress. My son Martin was in intensive care for six weeks after his birth, premature with hyaline membrane disease (renamed RDS) , jaundice, and a couple of other things common to premature births. I can relate. I was at the hospital every morning at 6 AM to scrub with the doctor making his rounds, and then stayed to feed my son from a little doll bottle.

The only way for this to change -and I think that you will see it change at Pellas where a motivation for change exists- is to continue to do what you are currently doing, and give your experience the widest publicity possible. If this were an INSS hospital the chance of effecting any change would be nil.

Nicaragua wants to share the revenue from medical tourism that has done so much for Costa Rica. If this is the level of care offered, and the tourist who arrives for a cosmetic procedure is needlessly debilitated -or dies- from an E-Coli, C-Diff or MRSA infection because a nurse refuses to wash her hands, the word will very quickly get out. The medical providers in Costa Rica will be quick to spread the news.

The attitudes of the nurses you describe are so typical of the Nicaraguan culture that they almost define "Nicaraguan". How often have you waited while someone talks on endlessly on their cell phone? In Nicaragua -- "I know computers"-- means I can turn the computer on, log in and then navigate to my facebook page.

My wife is a nurse, and the thought of a nurse in the US even having the free time to spend on facebook is ludicrous. There is rarely enough time to complete the shift's work, and then everything has to be meticulously charted. Shelley's an OR nurse now, but I remember she would often come home an hour late because there wasn't enough time to complete charting during the shift.

Good luck to your and your son. Dr. Mora will insure that he gets past this and prospers.

If Pellas institutes the required standards, there will be a trickle down effect that will slowly improve medical care throughout Nicaragua (very slowly, you don't fire a Sandinista nurse for negligence even if the patient dies).

We will all benefit from your efforts, not just your son. In all fairness, this hand washing business was a problem in the US until about ten years ago. And there was a lot of resistance from nurses in implementing the new practices.

TRN Member

Rivense67 - The last photo in the Jonah letter was the best!

KWP - Good thoughtful post!

I am not at all trying to detract from what you went through, my daughter had a low oxygen level when she was born and that was resolved within an hour, I cannot imagine having to go through something as serious as your situation. I am very interested in the quality of care at Vivian Pellas since it is the best option in the country. Somehow I missed your post originally but when I read it I did a little research. Unfortunately US standards really aren't that great in general, ranked last among developed nations in both quality of care and life expectancy. I also found info directly related to this type of infection in US hospitals here. Apparently contracting E.Coli from a respirator is a real risk especially for those without a healthy (or underdeveloped) immune system.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I do feel you did the right thing in reporting the incident. Just because it happens in US hospitals too doesn't necessarily mean it should be happening anywhere.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These Kuuckleheads on TRN took/made my sorry be-hind go to the Private Hospital called Salude Intregal or something like that... They were very attentive of a human that was on the Brink of saying the last ADIOS... And I am here to tell ya the only reason I am here to be a Thorn in the Sides of some people... Is because of my friends on here, the Dr.s, and the facility... But their hamburgers and French Fries sucked that came out of the kitchen ....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Three years later I can STILL say... THANK YOU MY FRIENDS...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...