Thread: Fake IP address

Blog Entries

Default Fake IP address

Some sites like Hulu and Pandora do not allow access to their sites and services if you are not in an approved country.

So the question is:

Has anyone in Nicaragua used some of the various methods available to hide or fake your IP address? And does it work?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fake IP address

One can get a VPN (virtual private network) We use Strongvpn.com $55 a year. Server I use is out of Miami--so its as if I am in Miami! Have Switched it to Montreal and Toronto to get Canadian stuff. There are many others out there and cheaper. Google VPN and u should find quite a few. We just went with strongvpn as others we know use them. Another is http://www.purevpn.com/order/ no clue if they are any good. http://torguard.net/ Whole list of them http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/9436...vice-30year-or

Blog Entries

Have you tried streaming video over your connection and is your connection via cellular, DSL or satellite?

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

We have Claro I think its Cable. Yes we watch movies, sports, the VPN doesnt slow it down that we have noticed. We have used it on our laptops while at a hotel using their wifi as well. What I like about strongvpn.com is they have 24 hour online help, chat with them right from my computer. You can goto their site and ask all the questions you want. As well when I have had a few issues, you can if u wish--give them remote access to ur computer and they do everything.

Blog Entries

So....when you use it on your laptop at a hotel, you log into the VPN and then access Hulu or whatever?

When you are at home is your internet connection cellular (like with a dongle plugged into your computer) or do you have a router that has a cable (copper wire) connection or do you have fiber optic connection (if their is one)?

Which poses the bigger question...is there fiber optic TV and internet in Nicaragua?

Thanks for the input about stronvpn.com...sounds like a good way to go.

Sorry for all the questions!

TRN Lifetime Member
    Blog Entries

At home we have router--actually a special router that we bought through strongVPN so both of our computers at home could be on the VPN at the same time.

On the laptop we have to log on to the VPN--has a password! BUT we can longer use the VPN on the laptop if we are connected to the VPN at home--has to be disconnected first--that is new--so we have not done that yet. But yes, as long as the laptop is connected to the VPN I can watch American shows such as hulu, netflix. Switch the server to Canada, can now watch Canadian stuff. They have servers all over the world. Another benefit it is a more secure connection to the internet.

I know we can get Digital TV here in some parts of Managua. To be honest I don't know if we have cable or DSL internt! lol I know when we signed on backj in Aug 2011, it was Claros second fastest option at the time. No doggle, cable into a box.

You can goto strongvpn.com and at the bottom right there should be a chat window that pops up--they can answer your questions probably better than I can online and free.

For the longest time I was on a "PPPT" connection but then it got blocked--I guess cable companies can do that, so I had to switch over to an OPNVPN connection, and problem solved---of course the yearly fee rose from $55 to $71!

Blog Entries

This is a lot of good information...thanks...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Yes.. VPN has become a cottage industry.

We use one called "Unotelly" it is about $8 a month with TV and VPN service. There is VPN only at about $4.

UnblockUS works very well I have read and I may go there next.

I would suggest you go with an offshore entity like a Canadian or UK based provider as the US sites they are redirecting always try to throw up road blocks and the foreign VPN providers are compelled to come up with work arounds to retain their subscription base.

With respect to "speed" the first step is to know what your are currently yielding.. To do this run some of the reposts on DSLreports.com

For us with 3 - 4mbps (and at times 6) we can comfortably stream one HD (720p) TV stream while the kids play Youtube and PS3 games at the same time.

True HD (That is 1080p) is a little less reliable and can stutter if the kids are using inet or even if no one is using it. 1080p is a bandwith hog.. Especially with 5.1 audio.

What I would suggest, and you may already have discovered, is to download content between 11PM and 6AM as you get the most bandwith off the cell tower. From 6 to 10 and 3 to 10 PM the bandwith just blows chunks as all the Claro users jump on in parallel sucking all of the BW.. Maybe they have upgraded since we were last there, but at times it was brutally slow in Masaya at those times.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I understand that Claro (cellular) is currently offering a 3-G system.

Is there any indication that they will soon offer 4-G?

Is it practical / possible to offer both?

Blog Entries

Whether HDSP - 3G or 4G or even LTE means nothing ,if the backing infrastructure is crap (e.g. the supply pipe...)

or said differently... a 3G or 4G "road" can accommodate both a Porsche and an ox-cart equally..

TRN Member

The critical problem with Claro 3G/4G (or whatever) is the small among of data/month (up + down) they offer - Typically 10GB @ $50 per month.
    http://www.claro.com.ni/wps/portal/n...internet-movil
    Select the Pospago tab

If you estimate 3 Mbit/second download speed is required for video like movies or youtube then 3Mbit/10 (instead of /8 to keep it simple) = about .3MByte/sec X 60sec/min X 60Min/hour = approximately 1.1 GB per hour. So a family is gonna use up the monthly allotment pretty quickly.

The Prepago is handy for "on demand" or when you are mobile or traveling for as little as C$20 - C$50 per day for Email & surfing.
    I use that several times per month.

Download speed is intermittent in many areas too.

Obviously a DSL or Cable connection is MUCH more economical and DSL (phone line) usually works when the power is out.
    Speed is typically up to 5Mbits/second for about $50/month and includes unlimited data.
    This is what you need to watch movies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    Obviously a DSL or Cable connection is MUCH more economical and DSL (phone line) usually works when the power is out.
    Speed is typically up to 5Mbits/second for about $50/month and includes unlimited data.
    This is what you need to watch movies.
    It would work for Tom if someone bother to run cable on little corn.. So his options are limited.

Tom.. There was a distributed model of data collection called "Skygrab" you should look at.. In short you send you send your request for data over low speed (e.g. claro cellular data) and the returned data comes to you via satellite..The satellite receiver is a simple satellite receiver card inside a PC and some software. I will google through the day to see if I can find more.

You may recall news stories from 4 or 5 yrs back when US drone strike video was intercepted in this way before they tightened up security.

Edit **** Skygrabber ***

Blog Entries

I looked it up and am fascinated and mystified.

Blog Entries

I have read two models on its use but only skimmed..

Every file has a Hash value. The hash value is a unique ID for that file. So lets say the NBC nightly news is streamed over the internet to thousands of people, The hash value for the file is the same.

Scenario #1 .. So if there is someone watching the NBC news and they are on satellite, you can watch the same stream as it just starts to pick off that stream. No one is ever ever the wiser, it is for no charge and it has no impact on your usage total.

Same goes for music files, movie files all non secure (e.g. No "HTTPS" in the web link)

The key is that someone has to already been having the file sent over satellite.

As long as you can get the hash ID for the file you can set your PC to accumulate that file.

Two drawbacks.. You have to know the file and somone has to be asking for it over satellite.

Scenario #2 You "Spoof" yourself as a satellite receiving station.

This one I know less about but apparently you send your request for file over low speed (e.g. your claro modem) and the software "Spoofs" the place with the file to send it over satellite. This one I think there can be a trace back to you but I am not sure.

I found one site that sells the S/W but I think you have to find a twinky eating, pepsi drinking skate boarder to tell you how it is done.

http://www.skygrabber.com/en/index.php (Tuner4PC)

Blog Entries

Maybe some new info here: I have been using a free vpn service called "VPN Gate Project at University of Tsubuka, Japan." in conjunction with Claro Cable cerca Masaya. They offer a really easy program download that is super easy to use. Then I use that with Netflix and by being able to bounce allover the globe it literally quadruples the content of available on Netflix. i.e. what NF offers here, is different than the US offerings or the UK offerings. At 8 bucks a month NF streaming sure gives the local dvd pirates a run for the money though of course you don`t get the the brand new content that the locals provide.

For example, by using the above method, I started watching "Breaking Bad" (Walter White makes the Corleones look like pussies. EPIC, EPIC series worthy of the praise and awards) on the local NF but it was missing the final 8 episodes, by jumping to the UK NF I got to finish the series.

Also, somewhat oddly, by using the VPN service it seems to improve my cable connection. When using my straight local connect I am always having to hit reload if my mouse is not moving for more than 10 seconds. using the VPN my connection is always SOLID.

Excellent info, Thanks!