Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

  1. #1

    Default General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Yes, this is an opportunity to run an eco-lodge on a private island in Lake Nicaragua!

    In the first half of 2014, we will open a new 7-room eco-lodge and day-use facility on an isleta and we're looking for a passionate, experienced and dedicated person to run the day-to-day operations.

    Since the lodge won't be open for a few more months this is a unique opportunity to help hire, train and develop the staff from the ground up, develop policies and procedures, and assist with the final touches of putting the place together and opening the lodge.

    The right candidate will have the following experience and interests:

    ~ Hospitality management
    ~ Strong customer service skills and an intimate understanding of how a positive or negative blog post or online review can impact future business
    ~ Willingness to take the extra steps to ensure guest satisfaction everyday
    ~ Strong analytical and accounting ability
    ~ Discipline in managing finances, payroll, and banking
    ~ Experiencing developing and managing a diverse staff
    ~ Bilingual in English and Spanish
    ~ Passionate about the environment and sustainable practices
    ~ Willing to take a hands-on approach whenever necessary with everything from piloting a small boat, to troubleshooting off-grid systems, to tidying up after guests

    Compensation package includes:

    ~ Base salary (depends on experience)
    ~ Profit sharing
    ~ Health insurance
    ~ Vacation time
    ~ Possible part-time housing on the island (when not fully booked)

    In-person interviews will be conducted in Granada August 24 - 30 and by Skype afterward.
    If you are the right candidate, please send us your cover letter and resume. Contact us through the email link at the top of our Craigslist ad: http://managua.craigslist.org/fbh/3968663782.html

  2. #2
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    5,698
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Welcome - And good luck..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  3. #3

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Are you willing/able to hire foreigners without permanent residency? Or only local Nicaraguans?

  4. #4
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    9,824
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by El Espino View Post

    ~ Willing to take a hands-on approach whenever necessary with everything from piloting a small boat, to troubleshooting off-grid systems, to tidying up after guests
    Are you effing nuts?

    You want an experienced captain/ engineer/ maid?

    What an absurd blend of skills and responsibilities.

    Accepting...probably maid wages?

    Better you do it yourself.

    Or get a more reasonable business model.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  5. #5

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Sounds interesting.

    Nicaragua needs more of this kind of "destination experience". Actually, Nicaragua needs as many varied tourist experiences as it can get at this point in its history.

    Unfortunately, ECO to me translates into composting toilets, no AC or hot water, warm beer, and an otherwise rustic experience.

    Do you have a website yet ?

  6. #6

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunkie77003 View Post
    Are you willing/able to hire foreigners without permanent residency? Or only local Nicaraguans?
    We will consider candidates without residency provided they can obtain residency in advance of our opening. Thanks for asking.

  7. #7

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Sounds interesting.

    Nicaragua needs more of this kind of "destination experience". Actually, Nicaragua needs as many varied tourist experiences as it can get at this point in its history.

    Unfortunately, ECO to me translates into composting toilets, no AC or hot water, warm beer, and an otherwise rustic experience.

    Do you have a website yet ?
    Hi - reasonable concerns. We will have flush toilets, private bathrooms, hot water, cooking facilities and refrigeration(!) so beer will be cold. As for AC, it's hardly needed on the lake with well designed passive ventilation techniques, ceiling fans and misters for outdoor areas. If you're familiar with Jicaro, we will offer many comparable amenities but our target is more mid-range traveler with some means but still looking for a somewhat rustic experience. Our ideal candidate will be leading a team of staff (housekeeping, kitchen staff, assistant GM (already hired), maintenance and grounds, etc) but still willing to get his or her hands dirty when it's "all hands on deck".

  8. #8
    Active TRN Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    managua,waslala
    Posts
    259

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Sounds interesting.

    Nicaragua needs more of this kind of "destination experience". Actually, Nicaragua needs as many varied tourist experiences as it can get at this point in its history.

    Unfortunately, ECO to me translates into composting toilets, no AC or hot water, warm beer, and an otherwise rustic experience.

    Do you have a website yet ?
    why dose nica..need more tourist..im here because there not here..i like few tourist..this for me is good living..i dont want to live in granada..do u

  9. #9
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by El Espino View Post
    Hi - reasonable concerns. so beer will be cold. .
    At least you got the important thing done.

    I don't think you will have trouble finding a North American or European interssted in your job, doubt you will find anyone interested in or able to get residency (those folks ain't looking this kind of job).


    Reading your ad I was not mesmerized. Why not build housing for your manager? You think they would want to move their shit around daily and commute back and forth to town? Don't make sense....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  10. #10
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by acc724 View Post
    why dose nica..need more tourist..im here because there not here..i like few tourist..this for me is good living..i dont want to live in granada..do u

    I don't think they will affect you or me much, but some people need the tourist $$.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  11. #11

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    But how can someone show they can get residency before you open.....as with anything dealing with the government, getting an exact time frame to know when paperwork will be done is nearly impossible.
    And without the job, its more difficult and lengthy to get the residency, but you are saying that without the residency by the time you open they won't get the job.
    To get residency you need the income, if you already have the income you probably don't need the job. If the job won't help with the residency that pretty much cuts out almost every foreigner.

  12. #12
    TRN Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Juan Del Sur
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by El Espino View Post
    Yes, this is an opportunity to run an eco-lodge on a private island in Lake Nicaragua!

    In the first half of 2014, we will open a new 7-room eco-lodge and day-use facility on an isleta and we're looking for a passionate, experienced and dedicated person to run the day-to-day operations.

    Since the lodge won't be open for a few more months this is a unique opportunity to help hire, train and develop the staff from the ground up, develop policies and procedures, and assist with the final touches of putting the place together and opening the lodge.

    The right candidate will have the following experience and interests:

    ~ Hospitality management
    ~ Strong customer service skills and an intimate understanding of how a positive or negative blog post or online review can impact future business
    ~ Willingness to take the extra steps to ensure guest satisfaction everyday
    ~ Strong analytical and accounting ability
    ~ Discipline in managing finances, payroll, and banking
    ~ Experiencing developing and managing a diverse staff
    ~ Bilingual in English and Spanish
    ~ Passionate about the environment and sustainable practices
    ~ Willing to take a hands-on approach whenever necessary with everything from piloting a small boat, to troubleshooting off-grid systems, to tidying up after guests

    Compensation package includes:

    ~ Base salary (depends on experience)
    ~ Profit sharing
    ~ Health insurance
    ~ Vacation time
    ~ Possible part-time housing on the island (when not fully booked)

    In-person interviews will be conducted in Granada August 24 - 30 and by Skype afterward.
    If you are the right candidate, please send us your cover letter and resume. Contact us through the email link at the top of our Craigslist ad: http://managua.craigslist.org/fbh/3968663782.html
    The businesses I know in the southern west coast area of Nicaraguan would be thrilled if they could find someone with any depth of 20% of those skills (especially including bilingual) and the ones that do work for Pelican Eyes or Rancho Santana etc at upwards of $1000 per month. Then more employees for the other 80%. The skills & effort required to set up all the organization/systems for many of your requirements/processes are not that much less than that required for a much larger business. Even though it is a small operation a very dedicated versatile couple would probably be required to offer total proficiency at all or most all of those responsibilities.
    Anybody with all those qualifications probably would have quit working for someone else long ago and have his own business.
    Good luck - Maybe you will find someone passionate about taking over and learning to manage that kind of business.

  13. #13
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,308
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

    Unfortunately, ECO to me translates into composting toilets, no AC or hot water, warm beer, and an otherwise rustic experience.

    It has to have the Eco, Organic, Permaculture, this that or the other, this is some trend that is prevalent here. Why not just say a Resort in tune with nature, or a Farm friendly to the environment.

    Buzz Words, that is all it is. When people ask me what I do I tell them I have a little farm, don't say I am running an Eco-Farm, using Organic Principles, to achieve a delightful mess of Permaculture. I grow some food then I eat it.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  14. #14

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    The businesses I know in the southern west coast area of Nicaraguan would be thrilled if they could find someone with any depth of 20% of those skills (especially including bilingual) and the ones that do work for Pelican Eyes or Rancho Santana etc at upwards of $1000 per month. Then more employees for the other 80%. The skills & effort required to set up all the organization/systems for many of your requirements/processes are not that much less than that required for a much larger business. Even though it is a small operation a very dedicated versatile couple would probably be required to offer total proficiency at all or most all of those responsibilities.
    Anybody with all those qualifications probably would have quit working for someone else long ago and have his own business.
    Good luck - Maybe you will find someone passionate about taking over and learning to manage that kind of business.
    It WOULD be a fertile training ground for someone who did want to go this route with their own business. That's always been a successful business model: Go to work for some guy, learn the business, vendor sources, make friends with his customers,, etc, and then , , , open up your own place across the street!

    PLENTY of room for this in Nicaragua, just getting the word out might be tough. A romantic few days on an island in Lake Nicaragua pushes my buttons. I'd advertise to upper end Nicaraguan men looking for someplace to spend a couple of days with the novia, safe from the esposa

    Now is a good time too, before the oil slicks and trash from the Chinese ECO- container ships start washing up on the isleta beaches.

    One big positive here is, being able to manage the safety of your guests. They will be able to walk on the beach in the moonlight without fear of rape and robbery.

  15. #15

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by El Espino View Post
    In the first half of 2014, we will open a new 7-room eco-lodge and day-use facility on an isleta and we're looking for a passionate, experienced and dedicated person to run the day-to-day operations.
    Welcome and congrats on the new business. Are you able to share any additional info on the project? Was this a complete build or a renovation? Have you decided on how to handle your utilities? Any issues or advice on permits and planning? Thanks

  16. #16

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Quote Originally Posted by kwah2249 View Post
    Welcome and congrats on the new business. Are you able to share any additional info on the project? Was this a complete build or a renovation? Have you decided on how to handle your utilities? Any issues or advice on permits and planning? Thanks
    Hi,
    Thanks for the questions.
    The project is of custom design and construction, not a renovation of existing facilities. It will be off-grid with propane as the only fossil fuel being used for cooking. Water will be filtered from the lake (yes, it is possible!) and treated after use and electricity will be from from solar and wind.
    The project is fully entitled and permitted through the various administrative forces. We needed a city building permit and health department sign-off on water treatment. It was a straightforward process working with a competent architect.
    Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Cheers!

  17. #17

    Default Re: General Manager / "Cruise Director" of new Eco-lodge in the Isletas of Granada

    Lots of further questions. I'm curious about the construction materials (prices and availability), and pretty much everything about the utilities. I won't tie up this thread but if you ever have some free time and can post up some info on the systems you all will be going with and what led to those decisions I would appreciate it.

Similar Threads

  1. McDonald's "Summer is in the air"/McDonalds "Llegó el verano"
    By AarontheGreat in forum Blog: AarontheGreat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM
  2. Granada Isleta Cruise
    By El Doc in forum Tourism Activities and General Travel Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 11:58 PM
  4. Almost "Live" from Central America, Granada
    By Danpolley in forum Events Calendar
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM
  5. "Miss America Latina" and "Miss Mesoamérica&q
    By tresfrijoles in forum Nicaraguan Culture, Politics and History
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!