Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Me & Electricity

Blog Entries

Default Me & Electricity

For the past year I have been getting high electric bills. I read the meter when the company comes because of my dogs so I know the reading is correct.. August 17, yes on a Sunday (go figure) I got my June bill. 988 cordoba, 122 kw, I went through the roof.

When they come read I make a note in my daily ledger so I saw that it was from June, checked July and it will be around 800 cords, went to read the meter for them and guess what, lightning got it too.

Finally ventured out yesterday to the light company, this is one place in Nicaragua where they have some customer service, 2 women work in the office and somehow they always have a smile on their face, even with people screaming at them. I explained that my June bill was 35% more than my May bill, hard to swallow for me.

I jumped up and down a few times, might have even laid in the floor. Got a new meter yesterday afternoon, guess what, 24 hrs, less than 1kw. So for the past 5 years I have been getting clipped for $20 a month from a brand new, out of the box, electric meter.

I asked about "reclamo" and they said once you pay you can not reclamo. so I guess I will "reclamo" all my following bills, say they are too little..

AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Me & Electricity

Mine read because of being estimado for the last since Hurricane Felix 248 kw and has grown from over the years 940 cordobas to now 1,028 cordobas. Slightly higher in cordobas monthly with no change in kw's.... I am paying 49.74 cordobas for public lighting, 49.64 cordobas of this for Commericalization, (meaning they bring me the bill which they have nevah done) 13.63 cordobas meter rental monthly, ( I don't have a meter, it is hooked direct by them) and an INE 0.5% (what evah in the hell that is)
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For an 80m2 house with at least 3 people in it our power bill runs about 1000 cords. When I go to the states for 4 weeks it drops about 100 cords.
    I though it might be a bad meter or a leak, but the rental house we had in town cost almost as much to run.
    We now run 2 mosquito zappers all night for about 6 months of the year. They only have 15 watt bulbs, but are rated for 40 watts.
    Heaven help us when I finally breakdown and get a room AC for the bedroom. I guess the only blessing is that when we get past category 5 the rate per kwh actually goes down. I wonder what category 7 is like?

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    For the past year I have been getting high electric bills. I read the meter when the company comes because of my dogs so I know the reading is correct.. August 17, yes on a Sunday (go figure) I got my June bill. 988 cordoba, 122 kw, I went through the roof.

When they come read I make a note in my daily ledger so I saw that it was from June, checked July and it will be around 800 cords, went to read the meter for them and guess what, lightning got it too.

Finally ventured out yesterday to the light company, this is one place in Nicaragua where they have some customer service, 2 women work in the office and somehow they always have a smile on their face, even with people screaming at them. I explained that my June bill was 35% more than my May bill, hard to swallow for me.

I jumped up and down a few times, might have even laid in the floor. Got a new meter yesterday afternoon, guess what, 24 hrs, less than 1kw. So for the past 5 years I have been getting clipped for $20 a month from a brand new, out of the box, electric meter.

I asked about "reclamo" and they said once you pay you can not reclamo. so I guess I will "reclamo" all my following bills, say they are too little..

AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh

It's no wonder so many Nicaraguans just steal the power -simpler.

Blog Entries

Our electric is expensive here, I think 3 times what it is in MGA, understandable, all diesel generators making electric.

What I have been trying to explain to the electric company is that I am not worried about the cost, but the usage, I can not possibly use 122 kw, not possible, especially when in the past 6 months I have had bills with 70kw usage, and using the same things.

I would have never got a new meter had it not been for the lightning and I really figured it would take months but the women in the office knew I was going to be a thorn in their side, no way I was going to let them use a 988 cord bill to average my future bills. I would have reclamo the bill had they not put in a new meter, no way I could hold my tonge any longer.

I still have no idea if the meter was off or what, our electric is so crazy, voltage varies wildly, I have seen lightbulbs explode because of no regulation in the current. Something was/is wrong and that is what I have been telling the company for months, they are so use to people complaining I was just talking to a wall.

The past 5 years they have been putting in the digital meters, the old meters were easy to tamper with and most everyone had them rigged, I know some people mess with the new ones but I don't hear much about it.

Crazy thing is most my neighbors have no idea how to figure out their usage (subtract last reading from this reading) they think it is magic.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Mine read because of being estimado for the last since Hurricane Felix 248 kw and has grown from over the years 940 cordobas to now 1,028 cordobas. Slightly higher in cordobas monthly with no change in kw's.... I am paying 49.74 cordobas for public lighting, 49.64 cordobas of this for Commericalization, (meaning they bring me the bill which they have nevah done) 13.63 cordobas meter rental monthly, ( I don't have a meter, it is hooked direct by them) and an INE 0.5% (what evah in the hell that is)

My public light was 49 cordsthis month.

Few years ago I put a bug in my neighbors ears, why we pay this public light and only people on the road get lights. One thing led to another, the company came up and put 2 lights in, 1 right in the middle of someone's yard (that's where a pole is) the other in another guys yard. There are 2 poles (1 is mine) right along a well traveled foot path, I really did not want a light on my post but it is the high spot and would be an obvious choice for a sensible person. I was scared with my open eaves the house would be lit up at night, but I realized it was the best spot and assumed that is where they would put it.

Within a month kids shot out the bulbs with slingshots. So much for Progress....
    Ernie K Doe

Our electric is expensive here, I think 3 times what it is in MGA, understandable, all diesel generators making electric.

What I have been trying to explain to the electric company is that I am not worried about the cost, but the usage, I can not possibly use 122 kw, not possible, especially when in the past 6 months I have had bills with 70kw usage, and using the same things.

I would have never got a new meter had it not been for the lightning and I really figured it would take months but the women in the office knew I was going to be a thorn in their side, no way I was going to let them use a 988 cord bill to average my future bills. I would have reclamo the bill had they not put in a new meter, no way I could hold my tonge any longer.

I still have no idea if the meter was off or what, our electric is so crazy, voltage varies wildly, I have seen lightbulbs explode because of no regulation in the current. Something was/is wrong and that is what I have been telling the company for months, they are so use to people complaining I was just talking to a wall.

The past 5 years they have been putting in the digital meters, the old meters were easy to tamper with and most everyone had them rigged, I know some people mess with the new ones but I don't hear much about it.

Crazy thing is most my neighbors have no idea how to figure out their usage (subtract last reading from this reading) they think it is magic.

I wonder if a guy could just buy a meter and hook it up in line with the Nicaraguan meter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-WAT...00811327467%26

Individual meters are available for $16

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Few years ago I put a bug in my neighbors ears, why we pay this public light and only people on the road get lights.

Maria's entire family take it as a bad omen if a street light flickers and goes out as they pass. Tried to explain how the street lights up here are on a rotational power down (one or 2 poles in 20 will power down for 2 or 3 hours to save power) but no it is evil a foot..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Found your solution, skip ahead to 3:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVA8M2YVQW8

Make sure you use distilled water, let me know how it works

Blog Entries

I have fought this Sh*t for 20 some years.... The lights going out with frequency and coming back on increases the Demanda which effects the resulting bill.... the only solution is to have a diligent record of lights out and light's on to the date, hour and minutes..... there is no other way... With this information you can fight.. Without it... You only talking hearsay....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    I have fought this Sh*t for 20 some years.... The lights going out with frequency and coming back on increases the Demanda which effects the resulting bill.... the only solution is to have a diligent record of lights out and light's on to the date, hour and minutes..... there is no other way... With this information you can fight.. Without it... You only talking hearsay....

I am slack in about every way of the word, but I keep a daily ledger, if a chicken farts it gets noted. They know this at the office, been there with it before. Told them ain't no way I am using this much light.

No kidding I am going to reclamo all my future bills for being too small, going from 122kw to 60kw. Long as you are in reclamo they can not out your light.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Member

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Your link seems screwed up and the movie length is only 2:08 but copy & paste works and it plays OK.
    It is important that you use the AC adaptor wire @ 0:09 - Speaker wire does not work as well and regular wire does not work at all.
    I tried it for 1 day with distilled water & it cut my bill exactly in half.
    On a different meter I used pee and it cut my bill to 25% so that is a big improvement.
    WARNING - Don't pee in the cup while the wires are connected to the magnets - You won't be able to get it up for a week!
    YMMV - Try it with FDC and probably see the bill cut to 10%!

Blog Entries

I am slack in about every way of the word, but I keep a daily ledger, if a chicken farts it gets noted. They know this at the office, been there with it before. Told them ain't no way I am using this much light.

No kidding I am going to reclamo all my future bills for being too small, going from 122kw to 60kw. Long as you are in reclamo they can not out your light.
    This I didn't know.....

Blog Entries

The women at the office could not believe that I did not file a reclamo, but same thing I have been telling them for months, I just want it fixed.

Using 2kw a day, online calculators had me using 70kw or so a month which I can handle. Was no way I was using 100+kw a month.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    Your link seems screwed up and the movie length is only 2:08 but copy & paste works and it plays OK.
    It is important that you use the AC adaptor wire @ 0:09 - Speaker wire does not work as well and regular wire does not work at all.
    I tried it for 1 day with distilled water & it cut my bill exactly in half.
    On a different meter I used pee and it cut my bill to 25% so that is a big improvement.
    WARNING - Don't pee in the cup while the wires are connected to the magnets - You won't be able to get it up for a week!
    YMMV - Try it with FDC and probably see the bill cut to 10%!

I thought you were serious until line 5 . . . ..

Blog Entries

Never ending. Got my September bill, 1094 cords, held my tongue, did no back flips, nothing like that, only going to give me a stroke. They come the other day and read, my next bill is going to be less than 600 cords (134 kw down to 70 kw), set my ass on Fire. Going to be the lowest bill in about 2-3 years so I am going to go reclamo it, nothing makes sense here so might as well dispute the lowest bill in 3 years as the highest.

I cannot make them understand, something is WRONG, may be my end or may be theirs but something is off. I am not and cannot use 134 one month and 70 the next, not physically possible. Keep checking my line to the pole, thinking someone tapped in, at least that would make some sense, but no.

All you can do is keep your humor, I thought the meter reader was going to piss herself the other day when I started hopping up and down and waving my arms, she tried to soothe me by telling me many people are upset. We were both laughing before she left.

My bigest fear is that pretty soon (within the next year) we will be the only people not directly tied to the MGA grid, not sure who is going to worry much about subsidizing a losing enterprise and that is what the electric company here is.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Turn everything off in the house and go and see if the meter is still registering some kind of a load,.with nothing on but your system charged to see if you have a hot wire going to ground somewhere.

Hahahaha My wife's cousin when they mopped the floor with a wet mop and it had a steel handle would make them pee when they mopped close to the ground wire leading out of the breaker box and down to the ground rod.

The Dummy that installed it put a hot line on the ground wire and was causing the meter to register a load with nothing on in the house...

Easy to fix....

Blog Entries

Your comments made me remember the following story.
    An elderly lady phoned her telephone company to report that her telephone failed to ring when her friends called - and that on the few occasions when it did ring, her pet dog always moaned right before the phone rang. The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog or senile elderly lady.

He climbed a nearby telephone pole, hooked in his test set, and dialed the subscriber's house. The phone didn't ring right away, but then the dog moaned loudly and the telephone began to ring.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:

1. The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground wire via a steel chain and collar.
    2. The wire connection to the ground rod was loose.
    3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current when the phone number was called.
    4. After a couple of such jolts, the dog would start moaning and then urinate on himself and the ground.
    5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, thus causing the phone to ring.

Which demonstrates that some problems CAN be fixed by pissing and moaning.
    "Find out what it is in life that you don't do well - and then don't do that thing." -The most Interesting Man in the World

Blog Entries

I believe it is something like that story, there is just something wrong, and it may be on my end, but let us figure it out. This is ridiculous.
    Ernie K Doe

You could start a petition for China to subsidize a trans-caribbean cable from El Bluff, only 40 miles. Would work great until someone snags a lobster trap on it.

Or, Moaning and Pissing . .

Whatever works, why do I think CookShow's resolution will top this story? Will the Wild Ass Pig be involved somehow ?

Blog Entries

New Electric problem this morning. Woke in the night and noticed the fan was off, no big surprise electric has been off several times in the last week, we are having some extremely hard weather, lots of poles have gone down, did not think much about it, rolled over and went back to sleep. Woke as usual around 4:30 and still no electric, started the coffee (stove top percolator) about that time I noticed a neighbor's light, went out and indeed everyone has light, except me. Went to check the meter, blank.

Guess something happened to my connection at the pole, not really any trees between me and the pole, will get out and take a look at daylight, then wait till 8 and call the Electric Company, they are usually pretty good about getting these sort of things fixed quickly.

Hope like Hell is is not some problem with my wire.

Luckily phone and laptop are well charged.
    Ernie K Doe

Fixed yet or still in the dark?

Blog Entries

Still Dark. Going to be a long story, trying to conserve battery. Maybe Manana. I guess everyone understands that Manana does not mean tomorrow, just means not today......
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Cookshoe moves to Gilligans Island to get away from it all ....

Grows Maters, and Bannanas of very RAZA, raises them for his fan club that get them for free when he ain't a looking.

Eats enough fresh Lobster and Fish that has made him start a growing scales all over like an Iguana.

had more dogs poisoned than he can replace...

Hauls his water still for his kitchen...

AND.. Gets lights for 24/7 for a few weeks and now wants to Cry about it when it is gone....

You will find NO sympathy here....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast