Thread: General aviation revisited

Default General aviation revisited

A few year ago I asked the friendly people here about the prospects of flying small aircraft in Nicaragua, and didn't get a very optimistic response. I did end up coming to Nica for a while and lived in Leon for about a year working for a NGO. The airport there was guarded by soldiers, but there was some non military traffic (cropdusters). Now , I'd like to come back , but longer term with an aircraft...is there anyone out there who know foreign pilots in country, or even better, experience with bringing N registered aircraft to fly in Nica? Experience with aviation authorities, airport use, private strip use, fuel cost , mechanics, etc...??

I am fully aware that it will be a challenge, but know that are a few others doing it, so it must not be impossible!

Blog Entries

Default Re: General aviation revisited

I know two missionary pilots who have flown in Nicaragua. One brought a Piper Aztec to the DAC, the other rented a C150 in Managua. They're not currently on TRN but I see them of Facebook sometimes. I'll see if I can get some info from them.

No doubt it can be done, if you have plenty of money.

Blog Entries

What do you plan to do with the aircraft? Private recreational flying, commercial operation, missionary/relief flying?

Here's what one of them said. "Unless it is a YN (Nica) registered plane, he will not be able to fly it inside the country beyond port of entry. By same token, must have a Nica convalidation of his FAA license (involved process) to fly a YN plane here."

Hopes are to use it for tourism and humanitarian. Scenic flights, transfers from town to town, ie Granada to Leon, or international jumps to cr or Panama. .. first skydiving outfit in country?... Also, put it to use to help people. Medical flights. I imagine there are some long trips people make t get to a hospital that could be shortened with a flight.
    IIRC, you need a Nicaraguan pilot certificate and residency or citizenship to do commercial operations like those.

Quote Originally Posted by emshaw View Post
    IIRC, you need a Nicaraguan pilot certificate and residency or citizenship to do commercial operations like those.
    What about just flying from personal recreation? An contact info of a foreign pilot would be awesome.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know 2 US pilots that can help in your questions that do things here. Wait a minute 3 of them.. Let me see if I can find their contact info... and will PM it to you
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Blast it... they are Face book friends.. I will get it for ya... Sometimes I get so lost where I am, I don't even know where I am from one minute to the next..
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Awesome, they would be great to talk to...free plane ride for the help if it ever comes together

What is the word for taxi in Spanish? As in "taxi the plane to the gate"

I know despegar and aterrezar,, suggested rodar to my teacher . . . That's the problem with having young eye candy teaching you, not enough experience with the world. She actually didn't know the first two words either, but they were easy to find.

On the other hand, it's nice to be in the presence of such innocence (she wants to marry her prometido -just waiting for him to ask-- and live her life on an island in the Caribbean. When I asked "which one?", she didn't know . .I hope she doesn't wind up on Haiti.

Still,, I find it inspiring:

Sonia sonríe y
    Me mostra su mundo,
    Contento,
    Confiado.
    Cierto,

Sonria sonríe y
    Me veo La Isla Caribe

I'm thinking of changing my login from KeyWestPirate to Jaded Old Cynic . ..When I asked about her prometido, she admitted that he wasn't "quite" a prometido. I then told her, Yo busco a una prometida con derechos, pero solamente haste jueves . . ....I could see her eyes flash: what an asshole! in some universal language,,, didn't need any translation.

The world will wear her down, as it does all of us, and I feel bad for helping the process along. I would actually prefer being taught by someone closer to my age,,,, well maybe not that close, someone my age would be deaf, blind, and senile, and probably toothless, but, more like 29 instead of 19.

The pic is of Kattia in one of the school's InterCambios. We get along really well because she's an IT student (and I have some background in IT). She's motivated, knows what she wants (System Administrator or Network Administrator), but is resigned to the fact that most of the plum jobs will go to the guys - it's still that way here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 09-02-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Blast it... they are Face book friends.. I will get it for ya... Sometimes I get so lost where I am, I don't even know where I am from one minute to the next..
    Richard? I asked him, he and Steve helped with the above answers.

You had it right with rodar...I could also see the word "taxi" being borrowed from English and used.

the above statement is an uneducated guess and not to be taken as fact!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    What do you plan to do with the aircraft? Private recreational flying, commercial operation, missionary/relief flying?

Here's what one of them said. "Unless it is a YN (Nica) registered plane, he will not be able to fly it inside the country beyond port of entry. By same token, must have a Nica convalidation of his FAA license (involved process) to fly a YN plane here."
    How about UltraLights? I saw some ultralights flying at an airport east of Mexico City on my last trip down.

I'm not current, and doubt that I could get a medical certificate from ANY country, but I've often thought that an ultralight in the DAC or along the San Juan River would be a neat way to go.

In the US it used to be, "Well, if you want to kill yourself go right ahead -just stay away from the REAL pilots". It might have changed, along with everything else, after 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by emshaw View Post
    You had it right with rodar...I could also see the word "taxi" being borrowed from English and used.

the above statement is an uneducated guess and not to be taken as fact!
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Ultralights are like mopeds. Real pilots would love to fly one, but wouldn't want their buddies to catch them doing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Ultralights are like mopeds. Real pilots would love to fly one, but wouldn't want their buddies to catch them doing it.
    .... A DUI bike with wings...