Thread: Salado

Default Salado

I puzzled over this missing dog poster for a day trying to find the punchline. It was clearly a joke, the reward was too high, and the poster was printed on heavy poster board and nailed to the wall.

Salado is a term for someone who is consistently unlucky. The name to me had no special significance, I assumed the dog liked to swim in the ocean and was therefore "salty". That would then explain his name and the poster was on the wall of a restaurant at the beach. The joke had to be somewhere else.

Nor was Google Translate any help. Salty, saline, briny was the best they could do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRN Member

Default Re: Salado

Ya that one is as old as the hills but possibly they got the joke screwed up if any of the online translations are right.
    "jinxed" or unlucky are the ones I find too.
    Maybe shoulda been some phrase containing "suerte" ?
    But many Nicas are independent thinkers so maybe the opposite meaning was intended.

Last edited by JohnS; 09-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

No question, a 3-legged dog, missing its left eye & right ear, with a broken tail, and recently castrated would be easy to identify, whether it answers to "Salado' or not.

Understandably no name or address for collecting the 5 million Colones reward was included. Otherwise some enterprising, jobless fellow would surgically modify a street mutt to fit the bill._
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

No question, a 3-legged dog, missing its left eye & right ear, with a broken tail, and recently castrated would be easy to identify, whether it answers to "Salado' or not.

Understandably no name or address for collecting the 5 million Colones reward was included. Otherwise some enterprising, jobless fellow would surgically modify a street mutt to fit the bill._

TRN Member

Oh Oh - Original link for image went bad.

I found another one this afternoon, a bar in Guanacaste called La Duya Mágica. The woman tending the bar was Nicaraguan, and after quite a bit of discussion I took the the translation to be The Magic Sweet - like a piece of candy. The pronunciation is du juh with a "jar sound"to the j, or almost dud juh.

I subsequently asked a couple of other people, they had never heard of the word either, and it doesn't come back on Google Translate. It could be a corrupted spelling of some other word I suppose; or a diminutive of something like dulzura ...

Initially I thought she was trying to tell me that it was The Magic Sweetie, like in "take out the trash, sweetie"

There are any number of web hits f6r the phrase, interestingly all Nicaraguan:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Duya-...33402306702711