Thread: Strangely Sad To Go

Default Strangely Sad To Go

You know how it is, when you're in a place for a while? You make friends, find places to eat, nose out the unusual bars, explore the countryside? I even found a pulperia that sells Toña -not that I don't like the CR beer.

I've been in Liberia two weeks + (this time!) waiting for my CR plates to arrive and all of the above happened. I didn't waste the time, I took quite a bit of Spanish instruction and studied, but it was still a pretty relaxed two weeks. Spent some time at the beach, two weekends at the Ro Azul on the Rincon de la Vieja volcano . .well, maybe it WAS more than two weeks, who's counting?

I settled confortably into my hotel, got the hotel to give me another chair and table for a desk, bought a coffee maker, there's plenty of hot water and A/C, walkable town for exercise.

When I got the email from my agent telling me he had the plates I felt -a bit depressed: Time to go. I'll head over to Aleksandr's one last time tonight (I may have posted about Aleksandr, runs a clandestine bar out of his home, barbecues beef and vegetable kabobs on one of those tire rim barbecues at his front door, opens about ten PM as Liberia goes to sleep). I'll have a kabob or two, buy everyone a round of Imperial, play grab-ass with Bony (Hey, she starts it) -- and .. . Adiós. Back to the real world.

I may get a little snookered and ponder one of those deep philosophical questions like, are we not just the sum of our friends and experiences? Is a hangover not the best cure for some of the ills that bedevil us? Why do CookShow's chickens NOT cross the road? Why do we feel that we need an excuse to drink.

Shelley will be pleased. She was starting to worry that I was going native on her, like that guy in Apocalypse Now (..."sell the house, sell the car, sell the kids..., I'm never coming back")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Strangely Sad To Go

Sounds like a nice way to go. I always want to be there.

Here I am working every day, working a project that is keeping me awake at night, a project where the meetings that use to be fun joke sessions, now a place where people are wondering how in the hell we are going to finish this 120m project on time and budget. Sometimes I just want to get in my truck and head south, never looking back.
    Survivor

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess we all get a little "Burned Out' once in a while and sometimes even may get a little snookered over petty BS.... But it is part of life and we MUST endeavor to persevere to reach that point in life where we can all say... "Eff Off" If the phone is for me you can tell 'em I just sailed away................
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

I understand how u feel.

A couple of weeks ago I was in condega for seven days.
    The only important time was 145pm.
    This was when the sun would ease over the edge of my brother in laws roof giving me enough shade to take a nap in the hammock.
    This was the only time that mattered and it was the most important time.
    Every thing else took care of itself.

I am on call 24 _7 pulling 12 to15000 tons of freight staying in a hotel every other day.
    One am calls are tough.

So as I have said before condega and 145pm is medicine for my soul.
    Always sad to leave but I leave rested and waiting for my next trip
    my little girl

Blog Entries

If the phone is for me.... you can tell 'em I just "PLOWED" away....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I understand how u feel.

A couple of weeks ago I was in condega for seven days.
    The only important time was 145pm.
    This was when the sun would ease over the edge of my brother in laws roof giving me enough shade to take a nap in the hammock.
    This was the only time that mattered and it was the most important time.
    Every thing else took care of itself.

I am on call 24 _7 pulling 12 to15000 tons of freight staying in a hotel every other day.
    One am calls are tough.

So as I have said before condega and 145pm is medicine for my soul.
    Always sad to leave but I leave rested and waiting for my next trip

You know, I'm really sorry to have missed you, Vern! Just the way the dice rolled. I didn't plan on being in CR all that time. I should have been in Condega when you were there. .

I owe this great "compound" I have in Condega to you and Salvadora; without it the logistics of developing the finca would have been somewhere between very difficult and insurrmountable.

Next year, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    If the phone is for me.... you can tell 'em I just "PLOWED" away....
    That pic reminds me of the Seinfeld "Tractor" episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_%28Seinfeld%29

"......Sophie (Jerry's current girlfriend) tells them her tractor story. She says she got gonorrhea from riding a tractor in her bathing suit. Kramer tells her that that's impossible and she says that's what her boyfriend told her

As I remember, it was a tractor with one of those old cast iron seats - - -don't recall if it was John Deere or not . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    You know, I'm really sorry to have missed you, Vern! Just the way the dice rolled. I didn't plan on being in CR all that time. I should have been in Condega when you were there. .

I owe this great "compound" I have in Condega to you and Salvadora; without it the logistics of developing the finca would have been somewhere between very difficult and insurrmountable.

Next year, for sure!
    No problem. We try to go every year around the last week of December or first week of January
    Maybe then.

My family speaks well you you and yours. Thanks for being so nice to them.
    my little girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    That pic reminds me of the Seinfeld "Tractor" episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_%28Seinfeld%29

"......Sophie (Jerry's current girlfriend) tells them her tractor story. She says she got gonorrhea from riding a tractor in her bathing suit. Kramer tells her that that's impossible and she says that's what her boyfriend told her

As I remember, it was a tractor with one of those old cast iron seats - - -don't recall if it was John Deere or not . . .
    Was either John Deere or a McCormick.. Had to have been in the time frame...