Thread: Struggling With The Bread

Default Struggling With The Bread

This is my first good looking loaf since I returned. I'm not sure what was going on, someone left the yeast jar open, the flower has less gluten, or I just wasn't paying enough attention . . .but every loaf fell.

It's not that the bread wasn't edible, it was very tasty if a little dense. I had no shortage of "eaters", but there was something just personally not acceptable with the appearance of the loaf.

I used a bit more yeast with this one, and tried some agave sweetener instead of the honey I usually use. Bread IS an art as well as a science; I may have to visit the other side of my brain for the solution.

Apple pie is from PriceMart, about $6. I wish we had a PriceMart in Condega. Inside PriceMart you actually forget you are in Nicaragua for an hour or two (Beam me up, Scotty),, until: "Where's the A-1 steak sauce"? --and reality sets in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Struggling With The Bread

I use the old hand judgment on breads.. If it is Heavy No Hell.. It has to be Good....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

The flour here varies wildly. I buy a # of yeast every month or so, keep it in a tightly sealed jar.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    "Where's the A-1 steak sauce"? --and reality sets in.
    La Colonia at Plaza Espana, few blocks west of Prcemart has A-1 as well as many other Gringo "necessities".
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    The flour here varies wildly. I buy a # of yeast every month or so, keep it in a tightly sealed jar.
    My wife bless her heart SWEARS that some of the flour we are getting is of ground green bananas... I cannot contest this as it makes a hard turd.. I hate to be blunt and uncouth about it, but it is so,...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...