Thread: Nicaragua. The safest country around?

Default Nicaragua. The safest country around?

This is just a curious discussion. Not meant to be taken as a serious pro or con against Nicaragua, or to scare people away or convince them this is a great place. More for people who live here to discuss the topic. (feel free to move this if its in the wrong place on this site).

It seems everytime i read an article about Nicaragua (in regards to travel at least) it mentions that a big draw is that Nicaragua is the safest country in latin america. Every messageboard post i read about someone trying to decide what country to go to they always list the reasons to come to nicaragua as "cheap. safe". that seems to be the only reason most people visit here.

Now ive never been one to get scared off of a place. I lived sandwiched between the "bloody 5th", and "turd ward", the 2 biggest ghettos in the 4th largest city in the USA. a place where murders were a weekly occurrence, mostly more often. Then i up and moved to the big evil scary city of Managua. A place where i was warned by countless people to "get the hell out of" as fast as i can.
    I personally have found that this place doesnt live up to the hype. I was told i was sure to be stabbed and killed in Oriental market (of which ive been there probably 50 times without even minor incident), that i would certainly be robbed at the waterfront or anywhere near the lake (which i frequent multiple times a week for friends), never enter Barrio Schick (ok, one time i got a rear view mirror stolen off my moto there, but otherwise never an issue).....you get the picture.

On the other hand, i hear a constant stream of stories from friends from all over the country, In Granada a friend was randomly beaten with a belt as she walked down the street in broad daylight by a crazy guy, near ticuantepe a friend always tells me how he doesnt have anymore lemons because they are stolen as soon as they grow by people hopping the fence at night. Near my house i have a friend who has lost 3 dogs from would be robbers who kill the dog in advance of robbing the house. Another lost 2 pelibueys when people tried to pull them through a fence to steal, killing them instead. The stories go on and on. Frustrating, but considered minor. Not one has been reported to police, or had anything done about. Most people who live here take a "well, thats just part of life" attitude towards it.
    Which makes me wonder how accurate the reports on crime are in the country. Ive never personally heard or known of someone brutally murdered out of the blue, kidnapped, randomly assaulted, raped, or any major crime. However little stories of things getting robbed, taken, broken into, etc. rack up into the hundreds, maybe even thousands at this point, with not one of them ever getting an actual report (i take that back....one. he was an american fresh off the plane who thought filing a report would help him get his computer back. it didnt. especially, since no one came to take the report).

So what do you think. Do you think that Nicaragua deserves the title of safest country around? do you think that the released crime numbers are anywhere accurate? Would you consider Nicaragua a safe country overall, or do you think it depends on your idea of safety

Once again, this is not to scare anyone from coming here, or encouraging them to choose. Just interested what people living here think about this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nicaragua. The safest country around?

Not one has been reported to police
    I think you answered your own question. The only way to state that Nicaragua is the safest country is to use police statistics.

Blog Entries

I tend to 'believe' the stats on murders, simply because of the corpses that must pass through the system.

Petty crime is rarely reported in cities; it's more a concern in small communities.

Rape is rarely "si o no". It's often a she-said vs he-said situation. And in areas where prostitution is common, I'd guess the stats are very unreliable.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Then there's domestic violence.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I know - very bad taste - but funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Then there's domestic violence.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

No victim no crime and no report no stat. Overall I'd say Nica is much safer than some of the cities in the U.S. I believe part of this reason is because the population polices itself. A lot of the incidents I hear about are usually crimes of opportunity. If you leave an opening someone will eventually take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    I know - very bad taste - but funny...
    Heard about that one yesterday. Fired the bartender and now are holding a fundraiser.

Blog Entries

I prefer foreign violence, myself.

Blog Entries

Least Crime is Bullshit. No one wants to waste their time calling the police or buying them gas to come to the crime scene.

I personally know 2 people murdered, one was complicated, the other very simple, no one is in jail for either.

The Police do now have a 52" TV on their wall they recently confiscated. Somehow they found gas to get to that crime scene. Might have some thing to do with the $252.000 USD(reported by La Prensa) that their friends in MGA took from the man's MGA house, no one ever reported what they found here.......

The only law here is what you make, one of the reasons I get left alone far as serious crimes go. People around here know I am Crazy about what is mine and they know not to get close to me.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's as if none of these SOB's evah or Never read MAD MAGIZINE It was meant as a joke and I too thought it was FUNNY...

My Sister put one of those "Grumpy Cat" photos on FB last night and I fell out on the floor a laughing...

Showed a little old lady a saying. "I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for my "Life Line"

And Grumpy Cat said... "On The Floor"

I peed myself on it...

We have a saying home... If you can't take a joke...

THE HELL WITH YA...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Least Crime is Bullshit. No one wants to waste their time calling the police or buying them gas to come to the crime scene.

I personally know 2 people murdered, one was complicated, the other very simple, no one is in jail for either.

The Police do now have a 52" TV on their wall they recently confiscated. Somehow they found gas to get to that crime scene. Might have some thing to do with the $252.000 USD(reported by La Prensa) that their friends in MGA took from the man's MGA house, no one ever reported what they found here.......

The only law here is what you make, one of the reasons I get left alone far as serious crimes go. People around here know I am Crazy about what is mine and they know not to get close to me.
    Well said Cookshoe.. Well said...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

safest country stats are murder rates per 100,000 poblacion.
    As for the rest of crimes well we have 18 policemen for every 10,000 poblacion y $120 average salary for cop per month. in jail just 120 people per 100,000, El Salvador is 390/100,000. good place to recruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cachita View Post
    safest country stats are murder rates per 100,000 poblacion.
    As for the rest of crimes well we have 18 policemen for every 10,000 poblacion y $120 average salary for cop per month. in jail just 120 people per 100,000, El Salvador is 390/100,000. good place to recruit
    Have you visited Tipitapa? Nicaragua has no place to put criminals. they are are already like sardines. Maybe they should build bigger prisons then they can compete with Honduras or El Salvador..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Yes.

So you think like America does. Build more prisons and fill them up, then build more and more is good idea? How is that doing anyway. Who are you helping. Crime is not down because you fill up more prisons.

The more laws you make the more criminals you make. If you only had a set of victim based laws you will still have a percentage of criminals. I believe that percentage fluctuates based on the society and its morals. Government makes more government, its the creep effect. The U.S.A. is supposed to be a free country but has crept beyond the laws of what is right and wrong, into laws dealing with what is good or bad. So yes, it is easy to fill up prisons when you use laws to resolve social problems, not just criminal violations. As the saying goes, you will never be able to arrest your way out of crime.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

It is isolated facts that A) crime in the US has decreased and B) the rate of incarceration has increased. Therefore is quite easy to conclude more of B = More of A.

The unfortunate fact is that in parallel the incarceration rate in Canada, Australia, Germany , UK and France has gone down with rates of incarceration remaining flat (Canada) or declining (Germany and the UK)

One thing is for sure.. You lock up an amature criminal, He/She comes out a professional..

EDIT -> Interesting Wiki - Nica incarceratiuon is 1/6th the US and 10% higher than Canada.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rceration_rate
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??